Bible Contradictions?

Skeptical Challenge

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#321  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » May 31, 2015 12:28 am

iskander wrote:The Jewish Study Bible translates 2 sam1:10 as follows.
"So I stood over him and finish him off , for I knew that he would never rise from where he was lying, then I took .."


This complements 1 Sam 31 . In 1 Sam 31 , Saul falls on his sword and in 2 Sam 1 he begs the Amalekite to finish him off.


Its more likely the truth of Saul's death by his own hand was given to David.

The Amalekite was not the instrument of death in either case.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
User avatar
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User
 
Name: Jerome
Posts: 5719

Country: usa
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Bible Contradictions?

#322  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » May 31, 2015 12:30 am

iskander wrote:
Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
The first five books of the bible, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy claim Moses as the author.


..., where does it say Moses wrote Deuteronomy?



“VeZot haTorah—This is the Torah that Moses set before the people Israel–by the mouth of God, through the hand of Moses.” These phrases, merged from Deuteronomy 4:44 and Numbers 9:23, are recited by traditional Jews each time the Torah is raised to be returned to the Aron Kodesh (Holy Ark). To emphasize the significance of the statement, one frequently sees Jews point at the Torah. “This is it,” traditionalist Jews proclaim, “admittedly a copy written by a scribe, but word for word and letter for letter identical with the one transcribed by Moses as God dictated it.”

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article ... -of-moses/


That is extra-biblical religious tradition, like the trinity.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
User avatar
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User
 
Name: Jerome
Posts: 5719

Country: usa
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#323  Postby Onyx8 » May 31, 2015 12:30 am

How did Saul die Jerome?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
User avatar
Onyx8
Moderator
 
Posts: 17520
Age: 63
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#324  Postby scott1328 » May 31, 2015 12:32 am

How did Moses dictate the events of his own death?
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8643
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#325  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » May 31, 2015 12:34 am

Onyx8 wrote:How did Saul die Jerome?


A sword wound.

Image



Image
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
User avatar
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User
 
Name: Jerome
Posts: 5719

Country: usa
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#326  Postby iskander » May 31, 2015 12:42 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
iskander wrote:
Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
The first five books of the bible, Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy claim Moses as the author.


..., where does it say Moses wrote Deuteronomy?



“VeZot haTorah—This is the Torah that Moses set before the people Israel–by the mouth of God, through the hand of Moses.” These phrases, merged from Deuteronomy 4:44 and Numbers 9:23, are recited by traditional Jews each time the Torah is raised to be returned to the Aron Kodesh (Holy Ark). To emphasize the significance of the statement, one frequently sees Jews point at the Torah. “This is it,” traditionalist Jews proclaim, “admittedly a copy written by a scribe, but word for word and letter for letter identical with the one transcribed by Moses as God dictated it.”

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article ... -of-moses/


That is extra-biblical religious tradition, like the trinity.

The Oral Torah.?

The Torah was created in the sixth day of Genesis, according to Tradition:

"Certain themes in Judaism have been treated by Jewish authors and sages as pre-existent in the sense that they were created in the sixth day of Genesis. Among them they mentioned the Torah, Repentance, the Garden of Eden and Gehenna, God’s Throne of Glory, the Fathers, Israel, the Temple and the Messiah."
iskander
 
Posts: 201

Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#327  Postby Onyx8 » May 31, 2015 12:51 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:How did Saul die Jerome?


A sword wound.

Image



Image



Thin ice buddy.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
User avatar
Onyx8
Moderator
 
Posts: 17520
Age: 63
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Bible Contradictions?

#328  Postby tolman » May 31, 2015 1:22 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:How did Saul die Jerome?


A sword wound.

So you're claiming the correct explanation is that God caused his death by manipulating humans, the Philistines effectively killed him with arrows, he actually killed himself with a sword, and someone else foolishly lied about killing him with a sword.

Sounds like a pretty contrived episode of CSI.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman
 
Posts: 7106

Country: UK
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#329  Postby scott1328 » May 31, 2015 1:29 am

scott1328 wrote:How did Moses dictate the events of his own death?
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8643
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#330  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » May 31, 2015 1:53 am

tolman wrote:
Sounds like a pretty contrived episode of CSI.


It is a story after all.

Not having contradictions doesn't make it real, but most in this thread need contradictions to make it not real.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
User avatar
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User
 
Name: Jerome
Posts: 5719

Country: usa
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#331  Postby Onyx8 » May 31, 2015 2:02 am

So which of the stories of his death is true and why do you think so given the apparent contradictions?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
User avatar
Onyx8
Moderator
 
Posts: 17520
Age: 63
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#332  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » May 31, 2015 2:10 am

Its all the same story, its consistent only if one reads it like a story.
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
User avatar
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User
 
Name: Jerome
Posts: 5719

Country: usa
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#333  Postby tolman » May 31, 2015 2:14 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
tolman wrote:
Sounds like a pretty contrived episode of CSI.


It is a story after all.

Not having contradictions doesn't make it real, but most in this thread need contradictions to make it not real.

You're telling porkies again, albeit from a position of carefully-defended ignorance.

Were it to have been properly edited in the past and be internally consistent, that would be no big deal for people who consider it a book of myths, since internally consistency in fiction is entirely consistent with human authorship. Indeed, it is almost expected with competent human authorship.

And no doubt you will note that it was the OP who came here to actively start a thread trying to pretend there was internal consistency, since that is what a certain class of believer has to believe, by whatever means necessary.

Were it the book of either a small minority sect, or of a religion which didn't believe in pushing its values onto everyone else, few atheists would seem likely to give it much thought or time.
That some people try and use assertions of biblical correctness as an argument for pushing their [cherry-picked] biblical values on everyone else is what makes it of at least some relevance to non-believers.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman
 
Posts: 7106

Country: UK
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#334  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » May 31, 2015 2:29 am

Why do you think this particular compilation of stories has had the unique history it has, up to this point?
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
User avatar
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User
 
Name: Jerome
Posts: 5719

Country: usa
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#335  Postby scott1328 » May 31, 2015 2:33 am

scott1328 wrote:
scott1328 wrote:How did Moses dictate the events of his own death?
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8643
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Bible Contradictions?

#336  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » May 31, 2015 2:36 am

Scott, why do you think this particular compilation of stories has had the unique history it has, up to this point?
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
User avatar
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User
 
Name: Jerome
Posts: 5719

Country: usa
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#337  Postby scott1328 » May 31, 2015 2:36 am

Answer my question
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8643
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#338  Postby Rumraket » May 31, 2015 2:38 am

Onyx8 wrote:
Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:How did Saul die Jerome?

A sword wound.

Thin ice buddy.

It's paintings and drawings. There is no argument there. :lol:
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
User avatar
Rumraket
 
Posts: 13193
Age: 39

Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#339  Postby Jerome Da Gnome » May 31, 2015 2:38 am

scott1328 wrote:Answer my question


I already did, you don't accept my answer, what more is there to talk about down that ally?
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants, and it provides the further advantage of giving the servants of tyranny a good conscience.
-Albert Camus
User avatar
Jerome Da Gnome
Banned User
 
Name: Jerome
Posts: 5719

Country: usa
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Bible Contradictions?

#340  Postby scott1328 » May 31, 2015 2:42 am

Jerome Da Gnome wrote:
scott1328 wrote:Answer my question


I already did, you don't accept my answer, what more is there to talk about down that ally?

You did not. Stop lying.
scott1328 wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
scott1328 wrote:How did Moses dictate the events of his own death?
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8643
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest