Catholic Church in Germany drops sex abuse inquiry

Investigator cites interference

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Catholic Church in Germany drops sex abuse inquiry

#1  Postby trubble76 » Jan 09, 2013 12:28 pm

The Roman Catholic Church in Germany has terminated an independent inquiry it commissioned into sexual abuse by clergy, citing a breakdown in trust.

It said that bishops' trust in Prof Christian Pfeiffer, head of the Lower Saxony Criminological Research Institute, had been "destroyed".

Prof Pfeiffer accused the Church of obstructing his team's work by seeking to control the investigation.

The Church said a new inquiry would be commissioned with a different partner.

Bishops approached the institute in 2011 after a wave of revelations about sexual abuse broke and tens of thousands of Catholics deserted the Church.

Hundreds of people had come forward to say they were abused as minors between the 1950s and 1980s, amid suspicion the crimes were concealed.

Pope Benedict XVI, the German-born head of the Catholic Church, met victims when he visited Germany in 2011, and abuse survivors have been offered financial compensation.

Continues here.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Catholic Church in Germany drops sex abuse inquiry

#2  Postby chairman bill » Jan 09, 2013 12:32 pm

There isn't a cover-up in operation. No really there isn't. Definitely no cover-up.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 09, 2013 12:35 pm

About 34% of Germans are officially Roman Catholic, according to recent figures

I wonder whose figures these are? :think: :whistle:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Aca » Jan 09, 2013 1:02 pm

he was just not "independent" enough..:rolleyes:
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

#5  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jan 09, 2013 1:16 pm

We told him not to look in the back shed and we caught him in there reading all our private documents about how to cover up the kids we sexual abused, we just couldn't trust him after that.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby HughMcB » Jan 09, 2013 3:50 pm

They try to influence his inquiry when things aren't going their way and when he doesn't buy it they fire him for breach of trust. Just another day in the RCC.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

German Catholic Church Cancels Inquiry

#7  Postby DoctorE » Jan 09, 2013 4:44 pm

An independent inquiry into sex abuse in the German Catholic Church was supposed to restore faith in the embattled institution. But now the Church has called it off, citing a breakdown in trust with the researchers. The country’s justice minister has demanded that an inquiry continue, though.

It was a major promise after a major disaster: In summer 2011, the Catholic Church in Germany pledged full transparency. One year earlier, an abuse scandal had shaken the country’s faithful, as an increasing number of cases surfaced in which priests had sexually abused children and then hidden behind a wall of silence.

The Lower Saxony Criminological Research Institute (KFN) was given the job of investigating the cases in 2011. The personnel files from churches in all 27 dioceses were to be examined for cases of abuse in an attempt to win back some of the Church’s depleted credibility.

But now the Church has called off the study, citing a breakdown in trust. “The relationship of mutual trust between the bishops and the head of the institute has been destroyed,” said the Bishop of Trier, Stephan Ackermann, on Wednesday morning.

The director of the KFN, Christian Pfeiffer, told SPIEGEL ONLINE that the Church had refused to cooperate. At the end of last year, he contacted the dioceses twice in writing. He reminded them of their promised transparency and cooperation. He also asked them whether there was any indication that in some dioceses files had been actively destroyed

Continues: http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 76612.html
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: German Catholic Church Cancels Inquiry

#8  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jan 09, 2013 4:50 pm

I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male