Catholic Church Sees a Miracle in 'Bleeding' ..

..Communion Wafer

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Catholic Church Sees a Miracle in 'Bleeding' ..

#1  Postby DoctorE » Dec 01, 2015 12:02 am

:crazy:

A Utah Catholic church recently became the site of what some are calling a miracle after a communion wafer placed in water appeared to bleed.

Meant to symbolize the flesh of Christ, the wafer--also called a host--was placed in a glass of water near the altar at St. Francis Xavier Church in Kearns after a young parishioner returned it to the priest during communion.

The priest reportedly then placed the wafer into the water, expecting it to dissolve in just a few minutes. But that's not what happened.

Instead, the wafer remained intact for several days. What's more, it turned a deep blood red.

News of the apparent miracle sent shockwaves through the church community and devotees began to pack into St. Francis Xavier's to see the host on display.

Continues: http://news.yahoo.com/catholic-church-s ... 00669.html
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Catholic Church Sees a Miracle in 'Bleeding' ..

#2  Postby The Serpent » Dec 01, 2015 1:43 am

These bleeding hosts seem to be particular to the Latin church. I've never heard of it happening in the Eastern churches. Some of the Byzantines have icons which "weep" fragrant oils, tho'.
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby igorfrankensteen » Dec 01, 2015 4:13 am

There now, you see? It's all a matter of context.

If that had been an Alka Seltzer tablet that stayed solid for several days and "bled," it wouldn't have been thought a "miracle," it would have been grounds for a lawsuit.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Dec 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Wikipedia wrote:Because of its red pigmentation, caused by expression of the pigment prodigiosin,[10] and its ability to grow on bread, S. marcescens has been evoked as a naturalistic explanation[citation needed] of medieval accounts of the "miraculous" appearance of blood on the Corporal of Bolsena. This followed celebration of a Mass at Bolsena in 1263, led by a Bohemian priest who had doubts concerning transubstantiation, or the turning of bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ during the Mass. During the Mass, the Eucharist appeared to bleed and each time the priest wiped away the blood, more would appear. While Serratia possibly could generate a single appearance of red pigment, it is unclear how it could have generated more pigment after each wiping, leaving this proposed explanation open to doubt. This event is celebrated in a fresco in the Apostolic Palace in the Vatican City, painted by Raphael.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serratia_marcescens

Found this after looking at the picture in the article and noticing that it looked like a bacterial growth pattern. I suspect it'll be very embarrassing for the Catholics when it turns out their Jesus has a rather severe blood infection.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby John Platko » Dec 02, 2015 10:40 pm

The Serpent wrote:These bleeding hosts seem to be particular to the Latin church. I've never heard of it happening in the Eastern churches. Some of the Byzantines have icons which "weep" fragrant oils, tho'.

And you won't see a bleeding wafer in a Byzantine Catholic Church. :nono:

We us real bread!
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The Serpent » Dec 04, 2015 12:54 am

John Platko wrote:
The Serpent wrote:These bleeding hosts seem to be particular to the Latin church. I've never heard of it happening in the Eastern churches. Some of the Byzantines have icons which "weep" fragrant oils, tho'.

We us real bread!

You guys call it "prosphora" right? Do you also have antidoron? (I hope I spelled that correctly.)

I'm not a believer anymore but I'm canonically Syro-Malankara. Since I grew up in Australia I raised in the Latin church. However I've been to Holy Quorbana quite a few times. From my experiences Syriac catholic churches use the same hosts as the Latins.
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby John Platko » Dec 04, 2015 3:19 am

The Serpent wrote:
John Platko wrote:

We us real bread!

You guys call it "prosphora" right? Do you also have antidoron? (I hope I spelled that correctly.)

Yes, a bread made a certain way. The antidoron is put in baskets and you take a bit after special Masses right after receiving a blessing, kissing a cross, and being anointed with oil.

I'm not a believer anymore but I'm canonically Syro-Malankara. Since I grew up in Australia I raised in the Latin church. However I've been to Holy Quorbana quite a few times. From my experiences Syriac catholic churches use the same hosts as the Latins.

I went to Roman Catholic schools so I was double dipped -and it doesn't seem to wash off.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby The Serpent » Dec 05, 2015 7:55 pm

John Platko wrote:
The Serpent wrote:
John Platko wrote:

We us real bread!

Yes, a bread made a certain way. The antidoron is put in baskets and you take a bit after special Masses right after receiving a blessing, kissing a cross, and being anointed with oil.

I went to Roman Catholic schools so I was double dipped -and it doesn't seem to wash off.

One of my brothers wanted to be an FSSP priest. They knocked him back because he's Eastern and it's not possible for Easterns to transfer to the Latin church or something. That and I think he was too old.
The Serpent

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby DoctorE » Dec 18, 2015 12:14 pm

Duh
SALT LAKE CITY — The Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City says a bleeding host reported after a Communion wafer turned water red was caused by bread mold, not a miracle.

Officials said Wednesday that a scientist found the conclusive natural explanation for the wafer that turned water in an ablution bowl a dark red color at Saint Francis Xavier Catholic Church in Kearns.

The diocese appointed a committee to investigate after the host that went uneaten on Nov. 8 appeared to bleed after being left unattended for several days.

Committee chair Monsignor Francis Mannion says the church sets a high bar for proving a miracle and rules one out if an event has a conclusive natural explanation.

Continues: http://nypost.com/2015/12/16/bleeding-w ... t-miracle/
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Arcanyn » Dec 18, 2015 12:53 pm

Does this mean that Jesus was some sort of fungus monster?
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Dec 18, 2015 3:18 pm

DoctorE wrote:Duh
SALT LAKE CITY — The Catholic Diocese of Salt Lake City says a bleeding host reported after a Communion wafer turned water red was caused by bread mold, not a miracle.

Officials said Wednesday that a scientist found the conclusive natural explanation for the wafer that turned water in an ablution bowl a dark red color at Saint Francis Xavier Catholic Church in Kearns.

The diocese appointed a committee to investigate after the host that went uneaten on Nov. 8 appeared to bleed after being left unattended for several days.

Committee chair Monsignor Francis Mannion says the church sets a high bar for proving a miracle and rules one out if an event has a conclusive natural explanation.

Continues: http://nypost.com/2015/12/16/bleeding-w ... t-miracle/

Probably not technically a fungus, but rather a bacterium.
ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Found this after looking at the picture in the article and noticing that it looked like a bacterial growth pattern. I suspect it'll be very embarrassing for the Catholics when it turns out their Jesus has a rather severe blood infection.

Yes. I am arguing from my own authority.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby RobM » Dec 18, 2015 4:05 pm

DoctorE wrote:Duh

Although they'll accept any old shit when it suits them - http://www.rationalskepticism.org/christianity/mother-theresa-to-be-proclaimed-saint-t51301.html
RobM

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby laklak » Dec 19, 2015 3:04 pm

They'd see a miracle in an anal pustule. Look! It's weeping!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Dec 19, 2015 3:57 pm

A bleeding Christ is a sure sign of mortality and non-supernaturalness. A jam cracker could possible be passably tasty, but certainly not the shit they dish out in church.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Return to Christianity