Church in Ireland

as the church power wanes

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Church in Ireland

#1  Postby Aca » Feb 17, 2016 11:08 am

longish read, full article here

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/f ... ower-wanes

Faith, hope and secularity: Ireland on brink of change as church power wanes

Ireland goes to the polls an increasingly liberal country – yet religion’s place in state education is staving off the decline of the Catholic church

......A few months ago, the archdiocese of Dublin commissioned research from a global consultancy firm, Towers Watson, to forecast the church’s trajectory over the next 15 years. Its findings made bleak reading for the church, which declined to speak about the report to the Guardian.

Attendances at mass are set to fall by a third between now and 2030, on top of a 20% drop between 2008 and 2014. The church can expect to recruit one new priest under the age of 40 each year. As incumbents retire or die, there is likely to be a fall of up to 70% in the number of working priests, and about three-quarters of those remaining in post will be over the age of 60. The church must consider recruiting priests from other countries and encouraging existing priests to work beyond the age of 75, the report said.

Baptisms were predicted to remain stable, but the report noted that this may be explained by “the preference given to children who are baptised when enrolling in Catholic primary schools. If this requirement is removed at any point prior to 2030, we believe there is likely to be a decline in the number of baptisms each year.”

This last issue is at the core of the campaign to reform Ireland’s school system. The Catholic church runs nine out of 10 state-funded primary schools, and about half of secondary schools. It sets criteria for admitting children and recruiting teachers, and determines religious education and instruction.
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Church in Ireland

#2  Postby Animavore » Feb 17, 2016 11:27 am

Confirms just about everything I've been saying about the Church from my own observations the last few years on this site.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Alan B » Feb 17, 2016 12:10 pm

A few months ago, the archdiocese of Dublin commissioned research from a global consultancy firm, Towers Watson, to forecast the church’s trajectory over the next 15 years. Its findings made bleak reading for the church, which declined to speak about the report to the Guardian.

I see. So the Irish church is using public donations to find out that in the (near) future the public donations will diminish. :think:

Surely they could count how much they are receiving from the, er, public donations...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby RealityRules » Feb 17, 2016 9:38 pm

Aca wrote:longish read, full article here

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/f ... ower-wanes
.... The Catholic church runs nine out of 10 state-funded primary schools, and about half of secondary schools. It sets criteria for admitting children and recruiting teachers, and determines religious education and instruction.

Sounds like things are going to clash :popcorn: :popcorn:
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 18, 2016 3:36 pm

Alan B wrote:
A few months ago, the archdiocese of Dublin commissioned research from a global consultancy firm, Towers Watson, to forecast the church’s trajectory over the next 15 years. Its findings made bleak reading for the church, which declined to speak about the report to the Guardian.

I see. So the Irish church is using public donations to find out that in the (near) future the public donations will diminish. :think:

Surely they could count how much they are receiving from the, er, public donations...

I wonder if attendance is as high as it claims. In my wife's town there is now only one mass which is poorly attended. The priest is from the Philippines which apparently has not gone down well.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Skinny Puppy » Feb 18, 2016 3:50 pm

Sad news indeed! Just when you thought it was safe to going back to be a choir boy.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity