Churches turning into affordable homes talks held

in Wales

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Churches turning into affordable homes talks held

#1  Postby trubble76 » Apr 26, 2013 11:01 am

Turning empty church buildings or unused land into affordable housing will be discussed later.

The Church in Wales conference will look to encourage congregations to think about how space can be used for homes.

The aim is for churches, church halls and vicarages, which are no longer used because of falling congregations, to be offered for conversion into homes.

The Church in Wales believes it could meet housing needs and raise income.

It added that one of its churches closes every month in Wales, mainly because the number of people using them is falling.

The project Faith in Affordable Housing will be the focus of the conference in Cardiff which is being jointly hosted by charity Housing Justice.

It will also be a chance for people working in local authority housing or planning departments and other housing providers to learn more about church land and buildings.

Alex Glanville, head of property services at Church in Wales, said: "This is an exciting project which could benefit people in desperate need of housing.

I think we see a glimpse of the future for christianity here, they will become (if they are not already) landlords and property developers.

I do think they might need a new tagline, howabout;

"Why are you living in luxurious houses while my house lies in ruins?" - Haggai 1:4 (New Living Translation (©2007))
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Churches turning into affordable homes talks held

#2  Postby Jumbo » Apr 26, 2013 12:30 pm

There are a couple of churches here in Cardiff already with alternate uses.
One i know of is a fruit and veg shop. Another is an art supplies shop. The one at the end of my road is a Mosque.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Bubalus » Apr 26, 2013 12:55 pm

We have one as a night club - The congregation numbers have increased :drunk:
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” -Stephen Hawking‏
Bubalus

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Clive Durdle » Apr 26, 2013 6:12 pm

Brighton Elim is now a pub. Actually, this has been common for years in housing associations. There are stupid rules about the Church Commissioners having to get the best price (Probably from Charity Commissioners) which has stopped some very innovative schemes
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby HughMcB » Apr 26, 2013 6:17 pm

I've always wanted to convert a church to live in. Here's hoping that enough of 'em go unused.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Actual practical and helpful use of church assets. Never though I would see the day. :thumbup:
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Wiðercora » Apr 27, 2013 12:04 pm

There's a church near me, which has a sign on it saying 'God will never forsake you' (or words to that effect). Right above it is a 'For Sale' sign.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Clive Durdle » Apr 27, 2013 1:06 pm

If religions had any sense they would do the following.

Create multi-use buildings that the different religions would share. They would have a type of theatre space into which their religious accoutrements should be taken is as required - for example Islam on Friday, Judaism on Saturday, Christianity on Sunday. These are only time management issues that any venue manager is well used to solving.

Above this space would be built housing.

It is amazing the waste of resources that goes into religious structures and management infrastructures.

Thinking about it, I would nationalise all religions and their properties and start managing it properly for the common good. I would probably do something similar to France, create a core curriculum for all religious teachers to pass and be licensed to work in a religious building. This curriculum would of course include that they fully agree to all human rights, equality, sexuality, disability and similar thinking.

:evilgrin:
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Clive Durdle » Apr 27, 2013 1:18 pm

I would go further than this! I would use these multi-purpose buildings to also provide health services, create co-operative and community solutions, education, good food, generous open local communities.

As the Greek Orthodox do, there would be regular communal feasts and celebrations.

See Barbara Ehrenreich Dancing in the Streets.
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby felltoearth » Apr 27, 2013 2:21 pm

HughMcB wrote:I've always wanted to convert a church to live in. Here's hoping that enough of 'em go unused.

50sq metres for a mere 300,000$CDN. Not exactly what you were thinking of Hugh I'm sure.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/01/new_in_toronto_real_estate_union_lofts/
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Plenty of churches here as well. Not very nice ones though mostly built in the '50's.

Saw a fantastic conversion done in Dublin. It is now a top class restaurant and pub but all the original church walls and ceilings have been kept.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Clive Durdle » Apr 27, 2013 4:59 pm

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pub ... amuel-peto

This is a beautiful church converted into a pub!
Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Here is The Church pub:

http://www.thechurch.ie/

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 27, 2013 5:17 pm

The Holy Family parish of the catholic church in my hometown closed some twenty or more years ago due to falling attendance. Their sheep, and their real property, were absorbed by the St. Agnes parish (now known as Our Lady of the Lake) church three blocks down the street.

That big brownstone church stood derelict for at least ten years. The only way the church would sell it was if it was to be another catholic church. It ended up being demolished and the stone was sold for re-use elsewhere.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby b.ternarius » Apr 28, 2013 2:42 am

In rural areas here, many churches are within a few years of being financially non-viable. The congregations are shrinking fast, especially true for my area, where young people just aren't interested. Average age of Anglican congregations is mid seventies. Many of them are pretty little wooden churches, but turning them into homes or even selling them will be no easy task. The six I'm most familiar with are well over a century old, some closer to two, uninsulated, have no plumbing or water source, no basements. Those are things that a lot of money could fix but you could probably buy a turnkey brand new home of similar size for the same amount. Sadly, the biggest obstacle with selling them is not what's inside, but what is outside: every one of them has a graveyard adjacent full of everyone's ancestors, dead husbands and wives, mothers and fathers, siblings. People cannot bear to let go of these places for this reason.
"When I heard, Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall, I thought, Did he fall or was he pushed?" - PD James
b.ternarius

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Imagination Theory » Apr 28, 2013 4:11 am

Wow, good on them, great idea. :cheers:
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Imagination Theory » Apr 28, 2013 4:12 am

b.ternarius wrote:In rural areas here, many churches are within a few years of being financially non-viable. The congregations are shrinking fast, especially true for my area, where young people just aren't interested. Average age of Anglican congregations is mid seventies. Many of them are pretty little wooden churches, but turning them into homes or even selling them will be no easy task. The six I'm most familiar with are well over a century old, some closer to two, uninsulated, have no plumbing or water source, no basements. Those are things that a lot of money could fix but you could probably buy a turnkey brand new home of similar size for the same amount. Sadly, the biggest obstacle with selling them is not what's inside, but what is outside: every one of them has a graveyard adjacent full of everyone's ancestors, dead husbands and wives, mothers and fathers, siblings. People cannot bear to let go of these places for this reason.

Ah, I forgot about all that.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 28, 2013 10:33 am

Well here over the next three years there will plenty of catholic churches even a cathedral or two for sale. The diocese reorganisation is going make plenty obsolete. They are cutting present 55 to 5! No priests and congregations.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Bubalus » Apr 28, 2013 1:24 pm

We also have a couple that are now Tescos
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” -Stephen Hawking‏
Bubalus

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby CarlPierce » Apr 29, 2013 11:50 am

The vatican would make a great leisure centre/health spa.....
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Christianity