Escape from Duggarville

leaving the Quiverfull Movement

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Escape from Duggarville

#1  Postby Aca » Sep 23, 2014 6:40 am

Long read, but worth it :)

Vyckie Garrison was once a minor celebrity in the Quiverfull Movement, made famous by TV’s Duggar family. As a devout, Bible-believing Christian and the mother of seven homeschooled children, Garrison spent 16 years, with her husband, publishing a newspaper for families on a similar path. Today, via a website called No Longer Quivering, she publishes resources for women leaving the movement. Recently she addressed American Atheists about her experience. This article is an abridged version of her remarks.

.....“So,” the woman at the domestic violence shelter asked me, “if he’s such a great, loving husband and father, what are you doing here? Why do you need a protection order?”

I tried to explain that, for some reason, despite how hard we were both trying to live according to Christian principles, our home had become an oppressive, miserable place in which none of us were happy, and it felt like we were all losing our minds. The problem was, everything I knew about relationships had been so completely redefined by Christian teachings that I did not have the language to name the abuse.

....For instance: the signs of emotional abuse include put downs, shaming, and guilt-tripping. Well, this is something my husband would never do … there really was no need since I was already fully aware of my inherently sinful nature, my “desperately wicked heart,” … He didn’t need to remind me that even my very best efforts were like filthy rags in comparison to God’s holiness.

Plus, I knew that as a woman, I was particularly susceptible to deception by Satan. How many times, when we were discussing an important decision, had my husband said to me, “What you are suggesting SOUNDS reasonable, but how do I know that Satan isn’t using you to deceive me?”

We believed that while men were “privileged” with greater authority, they also were burdened with ultimate responsibility … so a woman’s absolute dependence was really more of a hardship for the man than for the ones over whom he held God-ordained dominion.

full story here http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/656002/
on an island marooned in the Middle Ages
Aca

Male

Malta (mt)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Escape from Duggarville

#2  Postby redwhine » Sep 23, 2014 8:30 am

If you liked that, you might also like this...

8-)
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Escape from Duggarville

#3  Postby Varangian » Sep 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Aca wrote:Long read, but worth it :) (...)
full story here http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/656002/

I'm afraid that for every one who succeeds in breaking with that lifestyle, there are at least nine who fails. Good on her that she did it, and that she help others making the break. If there's any need for further evidence of the abusive nature of fundamentalist religion, the article supplies it in spades.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity