Evangelical Fracture Lines

Article In The Atlantic

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Evangelical Fracture Lines

#1  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 17, 2018 1:25 pm

I'm not usually a big fan of reading about assorted Jeebus peddlers, I prefer to devote my time to scientific literature and programming manuals, but this one caught my eye.

The Atlantic has a habit of dropping odd gems in my lap like this, and this article on Beth Moore is well worth spending time on. Because it neatly dissects the manner in which the religious fundamentalists are starting to schism in all but name. Basically, having spent years trying to keep up appearances with respect to the fundamentalist view of women, whilst simultaneously managing a religious enterprise with a punishing schedule that would drain many men, she's decided that the emergence of Trump has exposed the rotten core of fundamentalist religion in the USA. And, predictably, is taking a lot of flak for openly stating this.

It's an article that will consume a good half hour or more to read properly, but it's effort worth spending. Because the article reveals that a new generation of religious conservatives is emerging that isn't as hardcore ideologically conservative as the older generation - the new generation is, albeit with difficulty, coming to terms with contentious issues in a manner that would be anathema to the likes of the late Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. More importantly, women from this background, it would seem, are slowly, painfully, but gradually moving toward their own "Me Too" moment.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Evangelical Fracture Lines

#2  Postby willhud9 » Sep 17, 2018 3:45 pm

I wouldn’t consider Beth Moore a new generation. She’s in her 60’s. Because of her bible study I have the book of James memorized. I could still recite it.

But I for one welcome the change. I’d like to see more Christians take up social justice and want to help the poor.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Seabass » Sep 17, 2018 6:40 pm

Evangelical right vs evangelical lite? If we're lucky, they'll all end up killing each other. American evangelicalism is about as unchristlike as you can get.
"The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots." ―H.L. Mencken

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." —Einstein
"I’m a nationalist." —Trump
Seabass

Name: Typical Macho American

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan B » Sep 17, 2018 8:44 pm

Perhaps they are beginning to think at last and wondering why these 'preachers' are laughing all the way to the bank at the expense of the 'congregation'.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Sep 17, 2018 10:35 pm

More like a palace coup, they want to take their rightful place at the trough.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity