Ex Lib-Dem leader retracts "gay sex not a sin" statement

Tried to get his Christian beliefs "off the table"

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Ex Lib-Dem leader retracts "gay sex not a sin" statement

#1  Postby Blackadder » Jan 10, 2018 6:50 pm

"I would say foolishly and wrongly, [I] attempted to push it away by giving an answer that, frankly, was not right."
Part of the difficulty he said he found himself wrestling with was the different understanding of what sin means to Christians and non-Christians.
"In the end, if you are a Christian you have a very clear idea of what sin is. It is us falling short of the glory of God, and that is something all of us equally share.
"So to be asked that question is essentially to persecute one group of human beings because sin is something, Jesus excepted, we are all guilty of. But if you are not a Christian, what does sin mean? It is to be accused of something, to be condemnatory, and so we are talking different languages.
While he said he could have tried to explain the biblical teaching on sex and sexuality, he said it would have been "naive in the extreme" to expect journalists to give him a hearing on the theological details.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/42638420

So he was being persecuted by being asked a direct question about his religious beliefs. They do like being nailed to a cross these Christians don't they?
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
User avatar
Blackadder
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3652
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Ex Lib-Dem leader retracts "gay sex not a sin" statement

#2  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 10, 2018 7:38 pm

He fudged the issue initially because he knew his view was unpopular and he didnt have the balls to just speak his mind and tell the truth. So I have my doubts that he doesnt think gay sex is wrong. Because if he believes it isnt he could have said so the very first time he was asked. Also faith is not a private thing like he claimed it is because how he votes in Parliament on certain issues will be determined by his belief. So it is a very public thing as far as he is concerned
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 10074

Print view this post

Re: Ex Lib-Dem leader retracts "gay sex not a sin" statement

#3  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Blackadder wrote:
"I would say foolishly and wrongly, [I] attempted to push it away by giving an answer that, frankly, was not right."
Part of the difficulty he said he found himself wrestling with was the different understanding of what sin means to Christians and non-Christians.
"In the end, if you are a Christian you have a very clear idea of what sin is. It is us falling short of the glory of God, and that is something all of us equally share.
"So to be asked that question is essentially to persecute one group of human beings because sin is something, Jesus excepted, we are all guilty of. But if you are not a Christian, what does sin mean? It is to be accused of something, to be condemnatory, and so we are talking different languages.
While he said he could have tried to explain the biblical teaching on sex and sexuality, he said it would have been "naive in the extreme" to expect journalists to give him a hearing on the theological details.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/42638420

So he was being persecuted by being asked a direct question about his religious beliefs. They do like being nailed to a cross these Christians don't they?

I'm not totally sure that's what he means, but it looks unclear to me. I read it as persecuting one group of human beings (people who have gay sex), which is hypocritical because everyone is guilty of sin. Sort of a "cast the first stone" statement.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 13108
Age: 39
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Ex Lib-Dem leader retracts "gay sex not a sin" statement

#4  Postby laklak » Jan 10, 2018 7:52 pm

Sounds like typical Xtian wibble to me.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 19475
Age: 65
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Ex Lib-Dem leader retracts "gay sex not a sin" statement

#5  Postby Blackadder » Jan 10, 2018 8:07 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
I'm not totally sure that's what he means, but it looks unclear to me. I read it as persecuting one group of human beings (people who have gay sex), which is hypocritical because everyone is guilty of sin. Sort of a "cast the first stone" statement.


Having re-read the article, I think you are right. So what he is saying is that we cannot accuse anyone of sin as we are all sinners. This is similar to the “we’re all searching for the same god in different ways” that’s trotted out by theologians when they want to make nice with rival religions. Kind of meaningless, empty bullshit really, designed to evade the uncomfortable truth that they all claim to know the correct god, the correct way to worship him and the correct things that he dislikes, and they know that they can’t all be right.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
User avatar
Blackadder
RS Donator
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 3652
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Ex Lib-Dem leader retracts "gay sex not a sin" statement

#6  Postby Thommo » Jan 10, 2018 8:44 pm

You can't accuse anyone of sin, but you can go on national radio and say "hey that thing you're doing, that's sinful". Sounds legit. :lol:

Anyway, it rather seems to me that the journalists have been vindicated here, he lied about his beliefs because they were unpopular and he thought he could deceive people into voting for his cause. I'm glad it backfired.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 25949

Print view this post

Re: Ex Lib-Dem leader retracts "gay sex not a sin" statement

#7  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 10, 2018 8:52 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:He fudged the issue initially because he knew his view was unpopular and he didnt have the balls to just speak his mind and tell the truth. So I have my doubts that he doesnt think gay sex is wrong. Because if he believes it isnt he could have said so the very first time he was asked. Also faith is not a private thing like he claimed it is because how he votes in Parliament on certain issues will be determined by his belief. So it is a very public thing as far as he is concerned

For a lot of people that's true, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the case. You can be a Christian who thinks that gay sex is wrong and still vote in favour of gay rights. You just have to recognise that your religious views don't have to impact on anyone else's right to come to their own decision about the topic. In fact, I think that's exactly what Tim Farron has done in his political career.
Image
User avatar
I'm With Stupid
 
Posts: 9262
Age: 35
Male

Country: Malaysia
Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post


Return to Christianity

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest