Federal judge orders city to remove cross

Victory for American Humanist Assoc

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Federal judge orders city to remove cross

#61  Postby tuco » Jun 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Its actually an interesting question why Norse mythology is so popular in Western culture.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby The_Piper » Jun 26, 2017 12:41 am

tuco wrote:Its actually an interesting question why Norse mythology is so popular in Western culture.

Or superheroes in general. :shifty: J/K
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#63  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 26, 2017 2:21 am

If the locals insist on presenting an execution device in their public park, why don't they just choose one less steeped in religious symbolism, like a guillotine?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby The_Piper » Jun 26, 2017 2:38 am

You plum dun just domn don get it do yas. That's blasfee-mus. Them's Christ right thar, that's raght. (Floridian accent :teef: )
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#65  Postby laklak » Jun 26, 2017 2:39 am

Now that we use lethal injection, Old Sparky is just sitting there gathering dust.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Spinozasgalt » Jun 26, 2017 2:42 am

Fallible wrote:I don't make a habit of following myths either, but something about the Norse ones always appealed to me.

You're A.S.Byatt, aren't you? I always suspected but now I know for sure.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Fallible » Jun 26, 2017 7:44 am

Yes.
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out a map sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jun 27, 2017 2:30 pm

The_Piper wrote:You plum dun just domn don get it do yas. That's blasfee-mus. Them's Christ right thar, that's raght. (Floridian accent :teef: )

:nono:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#69  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jun 27, 2017 2:38 pm

KeenIdiot wrote:It was good to see a decent story from my home city.
I took some photos of the cross for Wikipedia when the controversy was gathering steam.
I was told at the time the dedication Stone I photographed helped the case. Dunno if that's so or not.
Do know a lot of the reports have failed to mention initially the case started because the refused equal access. If Christians want to have their symbols on public land, they have to be willing to share the space.
I have a soft spot for old monuments, I'd rather it have remained. But that'd require them unbunching their drawers.

Can you either link to the Wiki article you're referring to, or post the picture of the dedication? I didn't realize that was there.

In the meantime, two law firms have offered to represent the City for free for the appeal (The Liberty Council and the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty) and a non-profit group has offered to lease the land around it.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#70  Postby The_Piper » Jun 27, 2017 2:48 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:
The_Piper wrote:You plum dun just domn don get it do yas. That's blasfee-mus. Them's Christ right thar, that's raght. (Floridian accent :teef: )

:nono:

Sorry I didn't mean that the teef guy was from Florida. That's supposed to represent the uncultured nature of my comment. I know I got the raght part right. The rest was a joke. :dopey:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jun 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Well you're still wrong.

"Right" is not "raght." It's more like "ite." As in, "you min' if I borrey your truck fer a minit?" "Ah'ite." :teef:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#72  Postby laklak » Jun 27, 2017 3:30 pm

I've also heard the alternative form "you min if I lend me your truck fer a minit?" "Ah'ite", though I think that might more properly be Southern Georgian.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#73  Postby The_Piper » Jun 27, 2017 5:30 pm

:lol:
Yep, ah'ite has national circulation, but is more common in some places then others. But I'll bet it sounds like "ah'aht" to me. :evilgrin:
My relatives in North Carolahna and Virginia say some of their I's that way.
The confusion in this prank call is because the lady on the phone misunderstood him because of her accent. He said "lack discipline", of course, which she misunderstood because of her own accent. :tehe:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby NamelessFaceless » Nov 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Great. Now the City is trying to claim they can't remove the cross because a threatened species of tortoise is living at the base of it. :what:

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/201 ... 870628001/

Should the city of Pensacola lose its appeal to save the Bayview Park cross from removal, there could be one last line of defense for the cross: A gopher tortoise.

A burrow spotted at the base of the white, brick wall directly in front of the cross was confirmed by marine biologist and Bream Fishermen Association President Barbara Albrecht to be the home of the species, which has been listed as threatened in Florida since 2007.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#75  Postby KeenIdiot » Nov 17, 2017 10:13 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:
KeenIdiot wrote:It was good to see a decent story from my home city.
I took some photos of the cross for Wikipedia when the controversy was gathering steam.
I was told at the time the dedication Stone I photographed helped the case. Dunno if that's so or not.
Do know a lot of the reports have failed to mention initially the case started because the refused equal access. If Christians want to have their symbols on public land, they have to be willing to share the space.
I have a soft spot for old monuments, I'd rather it have remained. But that'd require them unbunching their drawers.

Can you either link to the Wiki article you're referring to, or post the picture of the dedication? I didn't realize that was there.

In the meantime, two law firms have offered to represent the City for free for the appeal (The Liberty Council and the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty) and a non-profit group has offered to lease the land around it.

Oops. Sorry I missed this.
If you still want it after this amount if time. Sorry
7PZWg35.jpg
7PZWg35.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 1239 times
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby KeenIdiot » Nov 17, 2017 10:14 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:Great. Now the City is trying to claim they can't remove the cross because a threatened species of tortoise is living at the base of it. :what:

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/local/201 ... 870628001/

Should the city of Pensacola lose its appeal to save the Bayview Park cross from removal, there could be one last line of defense for the cross: A gopher tortoise.

A burrow spotted at the base of the white, brick wall directly in front of the cross was confirmed by marine biologist and Bream Fishermen Association President Barbara Albrecht to be the home of the species, which has been listed as threatened in Florida since 2007.

Oh sure, now they care.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 18, 2017 9:29 am

They can cut it down surely and leave a stump.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#78  Postby NamelessFaceless » Sep 08, 2018 9:25 pm

The 11th Circuit agrees. Cross must go. But even some of the justices are butt-hurt about it.

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2018/09/ ... 222257002/

A federal appeals court has upheld a ruling declaring that the cross in Pensacola’s Bayview Park is unconstitutional, but two of the judges who made the ruling called on the U.S. Supreme Court to fix the court’s precedent.

In a unanimous ruling Friday, three U.S. 11th Circuit Court of Appeals judges ruled to uphold the lower court’s ruling that the city maintaining a cross in a public park was unconstitutional, and the cross must be removed.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#79  Postby laklak » Sep 09, 2018 12:39 am

I just really looked at that picture. Can you imagine how much fun meetings of the 1949 Junior Chamber of Commerce were?

Hey NF, did you get a shitton of rain from Gordon? I didn't see you here and wondered how y'all were getting on.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#80  Postby NamelessFaceless » Sep 10, 2018 8:25 pm

Hey Lak, yeah we did get a shit-ton of rain.Then a few nice days, but today it's raining again. Nothing like what's about to go down around the Carolinas, though.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity