Fracas at Ballynahinch church service

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Walk out and head-butting at Ballynahinch church

#41  Postby HomerJay » Sep 10, 2013 1:34 pm

The Reverend got kicked out but he refuses to go.

The church is run by it's members so it is up to them to somehow enforce his removal, or at least give him a good kicking on the way out.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Walk out and head-butting at Ballynahinch church

#42  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 10, 2013 2:01 pm

What is the fucking point to all this shit? Go to a goddamn park on Sunday for fuck's sake.

Religion :picard:
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Fracas at Ballynahinch church service

#43  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Briton wrote:
archibald wrote:
Briton wrote:

Nothing more than self-declared powers that be, it seems. I don't think the minister can hold on. Check the face on the guy in the front row of the photo in the OP, and of the three guys behind him. No, I predict the birth of a new, very small sect at some point. 'Ballynahinch Free Congregationalist Calvinists' or something like that.

Followed by hundreds of years of enmity between the two sects no doubt with nobody being able to remember what the schism was all about. Those wacky, neighbour loving, Christians. :roll:

Heh, in my 1980s vintage copy of Holidays in Hell by P. J. O'Rourke, the final chapter is labelled The Piece Of Ireland That Passeth All Understanding. Which should give you an idea what to expect. An excerpt therefrom is apposite here.

P. J. O'Rourke wrote:The best thing about the violence in Northern Ireland is that it's all so ancient and honourable. And I'm proud to say it began in the household of my own relative Tighernan O'Rourke, Prince of Breffni. In 1152 Tighernan's comely wife Devorghilla ran off with Dairmuid MacMurrogh, King of Leinster. Cousin O'Rourke raised such a stink (and army) that MacMurrogh had to call King Henry II of England for help. The Brits arrived, somewhat tardily, in 1169, and proceeded to commit the unforgivable sin of having chain mail and long bows.

It appears that the lady in question is known as Ireland's Helen of Troy. See here for more on this, and the fun and games involved in Irish tribal dynastic politics at the time.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#44  Postby archibald » Sep 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Calilasseia wrote:

P. J. O'Rourke wrote:The best thing about the violence in Northern Ireland is that it's all so ancient and honourable. And I'm proud to say it began in the household of my own relative Tighernan O'Rourke, Prince of Breffni. In 1152 Tighernan's comely wife Devorghilla ran off with Dairmuid MacMurrogh, King of Leinster. Cousin O'Rourke raised such a stink (and army) that MacMurrogh had to call King Henry II of England for help. The Brits arrived, somewhat tardily, in 1169, and proceeded to commit the unforgivable sin of having chain mail and long bows.

It appears that the lady in question is known as Ireland's Helen of Troy. See here for more on this, and the fun and games involved in Irish tribal dynastic politics at the time.

From that wiki page, it seems Tighernan got 100 ounces of gold as compensation in 1167. So, if the Brits arrived in 1169, that means either he (Tighernan) welshed on a deal and continued to cause trouble for MacMurrogh for 2 years, or the 'Helen of Ireland' thing was just an excuse to invite in the heavies.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#45  Postby quixotecoyote » Sep 11, 2013 11:27 pm

archibald wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

From that wiki page, it seems Tighernan got 100 ounces of gold as compensation in 1167. So, if the Brits arrived in 1169, that means either he (Tighernan) welshed on a deal and continued to cause trouble for MacMurrogh for 2 years, or the 'Helen of Ireland' thing was just an excuse to invite in the heavies.

Nah, that's them other blokes.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby archibald » Sep 11, 2013 11:40 pm

quixotecoyote wrote:

Nah, that's them other blokes.

Dunno the etymology of that word, but if it disparages the Welsh, then I can only say I think it's unfair, because if anybody in the (contentious geographical term alert) British Isles deserved/deserves it, it was/is arguably the Irish, and I say that as a local, or at least a sort of local. :)
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#47  Postby Briton » Sep 13, 2013 8:12 am

I believe the term welshing comes from the fact that a Prince of Wales (not sure which one) was notorious for not settling his gambling debts; it's not actually aimed at the Welsh in general.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity