Fracas at Ballynahinch church service

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Fracas at Ballynahinch church service

#1  Postby archibald » Sep 05, 2013 8:19 am

'During the unrest on Sunday, the plug was pulled on the church organ, the organist allegedly had her music stolen and protesters whistled and shouted.

At one stage they roared "Out, Out, Out", clapping, chanting and jeering and moving to the front of the church to surround the pulpit.

Rev Speers continued to preach throughout the disturbance and at one point spoke through a megaphone to be heard over the noise.

The PSNI has confirmed it was informed of an allegation of a man being headbutted, but had not received an official complaint.'

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 46110.html

"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Fracas at Ballynahinch church service

#2  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Sep 05, 2013 8:45 am

How bloody odd.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Scarlett » Sep 05, 2013 8:46 am

What did the minister do? :scratch:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Sep 05, 2013 8:51 am

From the article he tried to become the elder? Or something like that, but others voted him out...and he possibly removed some of them or fired them? And then someone has been playing around with doors and locks.

Its all bloody odd.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scarlett » Sep 05, 2013 9:03 am

Ah, a wee bit more info here

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/regional/fears-for-pensioners-health-amid-ongoing-church-feud-1-5448709

The Rev Speers was appointed as minister seven years ago, but his alleged attempt to introduce more traditional and strict Calvinist teachings has not gone down well with many members of the congregation.

Mr McClenaghan (one of the church trustees) released a statement last night to outline the position of the church trustees, whom he said are opposed to Rev Speers.

The minister was appointed in 2004 but now enjoys the support of only 25 per cent of the congregation, the statement claimed.

“About three years ago George Speers announced to the diaconate that he and his two assistants were now running the church as elders without the authorisation of the congregation and that the diaconate elected by the congregation no longer counted,” the statement claimed.

Mr McClenaghan went on to claim that Rev Speers “had been voted out” of his position, but confirmed that the minister is still preaching from the pulpit.

Rev Victor Neill, Chairman of the Congregational Union of Ireland, and Rev Raymond McLarnin, Secretary of the Congregational Union of Ireland, said they were “deeply saddened” by the situation. They said that whilst recognising the autonomy of each church within the Congregational Union of Ireland, “we would again offer help by way of mediation, in the hope of finding a resolution to this distressing situation”
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby archibald » Sep 05, 2013 9:08 am

My reason for posting the OP is that Ballynahinch is just 5 miles up the road. This sort of thing is typical of Northern Ireland, well, ok, perhaps not the headbutting, but it gives us local atheists cause to chuckle.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Sep 05, 2013 9:19 am

It still all comes off as odd to me, really though if there is so little support for him and his ideas then I can't see how there can be any mediation. Might as well tell him to take a hike to a different church.

Then again it sounds like he is trying to get his hands on more power then anyone is really willing to let him have.

And to think my Sundays are normally a day of sleeping in, not yelling and chanting at a guy behind a stand.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Scarlett » Sep 05, 2013 9:21 am

archibald wrote:My reason for posting the OP is that Ballynahinch is just 5 miles up the road. This sort of thing is typical of Northern Ireland, well, ok, perhaps not the headbutting, but it gives us local atheists cause to chuckle.

I visited Belfast on my way home from the Republic archibald, Had a wee tour round the city. Boy, that was an eye opener for a first timer :shock:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Evolving » Sep 05, 2013 9:46 am

I've never been there. What is there to open eyes? (Is it the murals?)
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#10  Postby archibald » Sep 05, 2013 9:49 am

Scarlett wrote:
archibald wrote:My reason for posting the OP is that Ballynahinch is just 5 miles up the road. This sort of thing is typical of Northern Ireland, well, ok, perhaps not the headbutting, but it gives us local atheists cause to chuckle.

I visited Belfast on my way home from the Republic archibald, Had a wee tour round the city. Boy, that was an eye opener for a first timer :shock:

In what way, I wonder?

I've lived in Belfast since 1972. Arrived at boarding school just 2 weeks after Bloody Friday (20 no warning IRA bombs in the city centre) and boy was it bleak in those days. But now, it's great. Great nightlife, new bars and restaurants opening almost every month.

If only there weren't so many nutters here, it'd be fab.

Heading to Dublin myself next week. I have always liked Dublin.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Scarlett » Sep 05, 2013 10:19 am

Evolving wrote:I've never been there. What is there to open eyes? (Is it the murals?)

Well, let me give you a rundown. We were travelling by car from the south, immediately on entering the north you see Union Jack flags on a lot of houses and lamp posts (this was motorway too), all the little towns had red, white and blue bunting everywhere. The flag numbers increased as we got nearer the city. I've lived in the UK my whole life and I've never seen so many Union Jacks.

Anyway, my sisters' partner is from Larne (port town near Belfast) so we called and asked him if we should be touring the city as we were aware that the trouble had been increasing due to the council deciding not to fly the Union flag on the City Halls. He said it should be ok, but to be canny. Due to our car having mainland UK plates and occupied by a Scot and an Englishman he recommended extra care around the Falls Road. We decided, due to having Tia in the car that we'd give the Falls Road a miss, especially due to the recent trouble. He said we'd probably just get a bit of verbal but we didn't even want to risk that with a six year old in the car.

We parked up in the city centre and went for a wander, it's a nice city, not the prettiest I've seen but there are some beautiful old buildings. The City Hall is lovely, a very grand building but there was the start of a gathering of people waving huge Union Jacks (just the previous night there had been some rioting in the vicinity). I overheard a conversation between two women and their teen sons, the women telling the boys to be sure to get home today before the trouble starts. It dawned on me as we were walking that Tia was wearing a Dublin hoodie top and that that was probably a silly thing to do so we went back to the car. Later, when telling my sisters' partner about this I said "But it'd have been ok, she's only 6", he said "They don't care".

So we set the sat-nav to take us to the Shankhill Road. Oh my fuck, that was an experience! There are literally thousands of UJ flags everywhere, anything that could be painted was painted red, white and blue! We even spotted a couple of guys wearing Union Jack suits complete with bowler hats, they were carrying those banners they use for marches rolled up, probably on their way to the city centre. The murals were a sight to see, after seeing them on TV my whole life. The police stations are like forts, massive high walls with razor wire and security entrances like prisons.

We took a wrong turn at one point and ended up in a residential street, again every house had UJ flags, railings and kerbs painted red, white and blue. The sat nav was completely unaware of the "Peace Wall" and kept trying to get us to "Turn right" when it was impossible to do so :lol:

As I said, an eye opener. I have no idea how people live under the tensions like that.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Evolving » Sep 05, 2013 10:23 am

Wow. I consider my eyes opened.
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Briton » Sep 05, 2013 10:48 am

Scarlett wrote:
Evolving wrote:I've never been there. What is there to open eyes? (Is it the murals?)

Well, let me give you a rundown. We were travelling by car from the south, immediately on entering the north you see Union Jack flags on a lot of houses and lamp posts (this was motorway too), all the little towns had red, white and blue bunting everywhere. The flag numbers increased as we got nearer the city. I've lived in the UK my whole life and I've never seen so many Union Jacks.

Anyway, my sisters' partner is from Larne (port town near Belfast) so we called and asked him if we should be touring the city as we were aware that the trouble had been increasing due to the council deciding not to fly the Union flag on the City Halls. He said it should be ok, but to be canny. Due to our car having mainland UK plates and occupied by a Scot and an Englishman he recommended extra care around the Falls Road. We decided, due to having Tia in the car that we'd give the Falls Road a miss, especially due to the recent trouble. He said we'd probably just get a bit of verbal but we didn't even want to risk that with a six year old in the car.

We parked up in the city centre and went for a wander, it's a nice city, not the prettiest I've seen but there are some beautiful old buildings. The City Hall is lovely, a very grand building but there was the start of a gathering of people waving huge Union Jacks (just the previous night there had been some rioting in the vicinity). I overheard a conversation between two women and their teen sons, the women telling the boys to be sure to get home today before the trouble starts. It dawned on me as we were walking that Tia was wearing a Dublin hoodie top and that that was probably a silly thing to do so we went back to the car. Later, when telling my sisters' partner about this I said "But it'd have been ok, she's only 6", he said "They don't care".

So we set the sat-nav to take us to the Shankhill Road. Oh my fuck, that was an experience! There are literally thousands of UJ flags everywhere, anything that could be painted was painted red, white and blue! We even spotted a couple of guys wearing Union Jack suits complete with bowler hats, they were carrying those banners they use for marches rolled up, probably on their way to the city centre. The murals were a sight to see, after seeing them on TV my whole life. The police stations are like forts, massive high walls with razor wire and security entrances like prisons.

We took a wrong turn at one point and ended up in a residential street, again every house had UJ flags, railings and kerbs painted red, white and blue. The sat nav was completely unaware of the "Peace Wall" and kept trying to get us to "Turn right" when it was impossible to do so :lol:

As I said, an eye opener. I have no idea how people live under the tensions like that.

As you are a Bearette, I'm surprised you are surprised at any of that.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby archibald » Sep 05, 2013 10:49 am

The flags mainly come out in the silly summer season. More flags this year due to umbrage over the taking down of the flag over the City Hall.

Personally, I'd feel safer here than in most other cities I can think of, including Dublin. There's a lot less general street crime, for example. The protests and the marches and stuff are relatively easily avoided, so long as one is lucky enough not to live in an affected area.

Earlier this summer, Belfast hosted the World Police and Fire Games, and there were hundreds if not thousands of competitors, mainly off duty firemen, policemen and prison officers from all corners of the globe, of all religious and cultural persuasions, and as far as I am aware, not one unsavoury incident. It all made for a few great nights out mingling in the Cathedral Quarter, Belfast's version of Dublin's Temple Bar.

http://www.thecathedralquarter.com

Also, G8 summit was in Norther Ireland earlier this summer, and again I'm not aware of any trouble.
Last edited by archibald on Sep 05, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Scarlett » Sep 05, 2013 10:50 am

Bearette?

It's not until you see it with your own eyes that it hits you I think.
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Scarlett » Sep 05, 2013 10:51 am

archibald wrote:The flags mainly come out in the silly summer season. More flags this year due to umbrage over the taking down of the flag over the City Hall.

Personally, I'd feel safer here than in most other cities I can think of, including Dublin. There's a lot less general street crime, for example. The protests and the marches and stuff are relatively easily avoided, so long as one is lucky enough not to live in an affected area.

Earlier this summer, Belfast hosted the World Police and Fire Games, and there were hundreds if not thousands of visitors, mainly off duty firemen, policemen and prison officers from all corners of the globe, of all religious and cultural persuasions, who were competitors, and as far as I am aware, not one unsavoury incident. It all made for a few great nights out mingling in the Cathedral Quarter, Belfast's version of Dublin's Temple Bar.

http://www.thecathedralquarter.com

Also, G8 summit was in Norther Ireland earlier this summer, and again I'm not aware of any trouble.

I understand what you're saying Archibald. I'm sure you can appreciate too that the sights are a culture shock for a first timer :lol:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby archibald » Sep 05, 2013 10:54 am

Scarlett wrote:

I understand what you're saying Archibald. I'm sure you can appreciate too that the sights are a culture shock for a first timer :lol:

Oh yes, totally understandable.

I do think it's also true that first time visitors do tend to make a bee line for the more, er, infamous areas. And of course, the locals are all up for it, setting up bus tours and stuff. It is a tad glamourised and overblown. I'm pretty sure a lot of the murals are recent and specifically meant for tourists. :)

That said, we do have our issues here, and they still bubble under and sometimes up, and there are far too many arseholes.
Last edited by archibald on Sep 05, 2013 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby Briton » Sep 05, 2013 10:57 am

Scarlett wrote:Bearette?

A female Rangers supporter.

Get the point about seeing it first hand.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Evolving » Sep 05, 2013 11:00 am

Are you a supporter of female rangers, Scarlett?
Evolving

Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Scarlett » Sep 05, 2013 11:00 am

Briton wrote:
Scarlett wrote:Bearette?

A female Rangers supporter.

Get the point about seeing it first hand.

I'm obviously not a true bearette then as I've never heard the term :lol:
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Christianity