Funeral eulogies banned in Irish Catholic diocese

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Funeral eulogies banned in Irish Catholic diocese

#1  Postby HomerJay » Aug 13, 2013 6:42 pm

Funeral eulogies are to be banned in one of the largest Catholic dioceses in the Republic of Ireland.

Bishop Smith said he wanted to avoid "dumbing down" at Catholic funeral services and that the focus should be on the Mass.

Father Derek Derby of the diocese of Ashbourne is one of those who will be expected to follow the new directive.

He said that he would support the policy as it similar to what they have been working within the diocese for the last 15 years.
'Integrity of Eucharist'

"The context of the funeral Mass in the church should be focused entirely on the celebration of the Eucharist," he said.

"What were trying to do is focus on the essence of the Christian funeral rite.

"The essence is, of course, two things. One is to support the family, through prayer and the community, but also the other function of it is that we support the person on their journey to salvation.

"What we are trying to do then is maintain the integrity of the Eucharist.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-23683169
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Funeral eulogies banned in Irish Catholic diocese

#2  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 13, 2013 6:44 pm

Well Jesus did say such lovely things about abandoning one's family.
I don't think this will boost their clientele though, probably the opposite will occur.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Shrunk » Aug 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Yeah, this'll really help the Church's problem of dwindling attendance. As it is, there are many of people who only show up for weddings and funerals. They can now strike one of those off the list.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Michael66 » Aug 13, 2013 6:55 pm

I think the Bishop probably misses the point that funerals are, in a significant part, for those left behind - and an eulogy, or at least something about the person whose funeral it is, is part of the grieving and moving-on process. I wouldn't be surprised if he's just quietly ignored by most priests. But it's also worth remembering that there is usually more to a funeral than the mass - the Irish have a fine tradition of a good wake, and that's probably where lengthy eulogies and reminiscences belong, with the mass containing just a short amount of background on the person.
Last edited by Michael66 on Aug 13, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael66
Banned User

Name: Michael

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 13, 2013 6:59 pm

Michael66 wrote:I think the Bishop probably misses the point that funerals are, in a significant part, for those left behind - and an eulogy is part of the grieving and moving-on process. I wouldn't be surprised if he's just quietly ignored by most priests. Bishops' directives come and go - I don't think they usually have that much influence, at least for very long.

Some Christians and that apparently includes this bishop believe Church ceremonies and practices should focus solely on Christ, God etc. God/Christ is more important than family.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 14, 2013 4:07 pm

The death throws of the rcc?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » Aug 14, 2013 4:13 pm

So first they ban non-church songs at funerals and now this?
They're really determined to take the 'fun' out of funeral. Trust the Church to make a person's funeral all about them. I'd love to see any priest try stop me giving a eulogy.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 14, 2013 4:28 pm

It is about time funerals were taken away from the church.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Michael66 » Aug 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:It is about time funerals were taken away from the church.

Lots of people opt for a funeral outside of Church. I would hope the will of the deceased is followed. Freedom of choice seems a good thing here, to me at least.

Peace,

Michael
Michael66
Banned User

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 14, 2013 5:38 pm

Michael66 wrote:

Lots of people opt for a funeral outside of Church. I would hope the will of the deceased is followed. Freedom of choice seems a good thing here, to me at least.

Peace,

Michael

Not in Ireland.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Weaver » Aug 14, 2013 5:41 pm

Funerals are 100% for the survivors. Claims that there is some supernatural effect achieved for the dead by reciting the Mass serve only to keep the priesthood employed.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Michael66 » Aug 14, 2013 5:43 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Michael66 wrote:

Peace,

Michael

Not in Ireland.

People must have a Church funeral in Ireland? What about Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc.?
Michael66
Banned User

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Weaver wrote:Funerals are 100% for the survivors. Claims that there is some supernatural effect achieved for the dead by reciting the Mass serve only to keep the priesthood employed.

It is the last institutions that the church has; weddings and funerals.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 14, 2013 5:48 pm

Michael66 wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Michael66 wrote:

Peace,

Michael

Not in Ireland.

People must have a Church funeral in Ireland? What about Jews, Muslims, Hindus, etc.?

It is not a must Michael but it is still even though the church's power is waning a church funeral is still expected.

With a lot of families it is a question of pride. I know it sounds odd but families in Ireland still have a lot to say.

The other religions look after their own.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Aug 14, 2013 5:51 pm

I've never been to anything but a Catholic funeral.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Michael66 » Aug 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Michael66 wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Michael66 wrote:

Peace,

Michael

Not in Ireland.

It is not a must Michael but it is still even though the church's power is waning a church funeral is still expected.

With a lot of families it is a question of pride. I know it sounds odd but families in Ireland still have a lot to say.

The other religions look after their own.

Thanks Scot.
Michael66
Banned User

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby james1v » Aug 14, 2013 6:14 pm

So, the message is "Less about the dead person...More propaganda!" Aint it always been so?
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby MattHunX » Oct 12, 2013 3:30 pm

I find cemeteries themselves to be a waste of space/potential land, and as churches, cathedrals, temples and similar edifices, the superstition of the masses made physical, and for anyone who actually sees through the wool and ceremony to be an enormous eyesore, anchoring a tradition that ought to be abandoned perhaps for something more manageable and less morbid and gloom-inducing. We're supposed to remember our dearly departed with fondness, not walking around in a horror-movie setting, with the worms pigging out on the rotting remains of our loved-ones below our feet. How does that not put people off?

Anyway...

I still think it is very disrespectful and inconsiderate of any church to deny the families and friends the opportunity to give a speech in remembrance and as a farewell to their loved ones. Well, perhaps they can have the eulogies said somewhere else, but a lot of them would probably object to that. As others haves said, their church won't be gaining any fans with decisions like this. Hopefully some folk will start seeing them for the pompous, unjust, disrespectful, hypocritical, power-hungry, obstructive and divisive bastards they are...if they haven't already (in Ireland, probably).

Also, on the rare occasion when we go to the cemetery, our conversation unfailingly shifts to the topic of stolen candles and decorations. Now, the word "holy" or "hollow" ground is meaningless to me, for the obvious reasons, yet, I do think one has to be an incredibly disrespectful sack of shit to steal from tombstones and cemeteries in general.
MattHunX

Print view this post

#19  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Bronze and copper are being stolen here as well.

In Ireland it is the knackers. Here a similar group (camp inhabitants/travellers) are usually the culprits and you don't think they care fuck about respect.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity