God is Love?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: God is Love?

#81  Postby Stein » Aug 04, 2015 7:08 am

Keep It Real wrote:Maybe it could mean "the highest power". Higher than you or I at least.

Actually, if one tries to synthesize those attributes of the divine that the earliest extant strata in the earliest texts on actual founders most often have in common (extracted thanks to modern scholars trained in analyzing ancient texts and languages to the frequent discomfort of the fundies in every creed), the one attribute that most uniformly emerges in the earliest strata is a sort of communal love that appears to transcend family, tribe, class, etc. This is further unwrapped in the OP to this old thread ----

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/gener ... 28933.html

--- That OP is quite long, unfortunately, so the "Readers' Digest" version of it is that it's striking how these earliest strata do not uniformly deal with an afterlife, do not all deal with any sort of abode, scary or cozy, for an afterlife, do not all deal with an omnipotent entity of some kind, do not all deal with a "creator", do not all deal with fulminations on "sin", do not all deal in any sort of woo explanations for natural phenomena, etc. These are all largely secondary -- if even cited at all, for that matter. What's stressed, again and again, is the notion that the divine somehow or other "mandates", in some way, due consideration and care for the vulnerable, the left out, the marginalized, the friendless, etc. That's where the earliest strata essentially "come from".

On the other side of the coin, the almost robotoid nostrums about the afterlife, "damnation", "creation", "supernatural" origins, "sin", omnipotence, etc., usually emerge in the later textual strata, when institutions and institutionalization become geared to establishing brute power over others at any cost, once the original founder is no longer around to embarrass the opportunistic power brokers who infest the later history of every creed once the founder is safely dead and out of the way. :thumbdown:

It is for these reasons that, whether or not one takes the notion of deity as either a fiction or grounded in reality, the notion of deity as primarily centered in caring for the "other" is still the one notion that better fits the apparent jotted-down experience of those who have actually been documented as pioneering the most self-generated and original notions re deity through the ages. If deity is anything real at all -- a big IF -- then deity is more likely, given the written record from the most pioneering founder figures, to be some sort of force engaged in gluing community together, rather than in generating the cosmos or in supervising afterlifes, etc. Given such a predominant attribute, it even makes good -- relative -- sense to suppose that whatever deity is, it's just as likely to be some sort of entity that is post-cosmos rather than pre-cosmos.

For all these reasons, that's why it's relatively less asinine to make a claim that "God is love" than it is to make the tired claim that God is omnipotent, or a "creator", or a "punisher", or blah-blah-blah.

Stein
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#82  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 04, 2015 8:09 am

Stein wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Maybe it could mean "the highest power". Higher than you or I at least.

Actually, if one tries to synthesize those attributes of the divine that the earliest extant strata in the earliest texts on actual founders most often have in common (extracted thanks to modern scholars trained in analyzing ancient texts and languages to the frequent discomfort of the fundies in every creed), the one attribute that most uniformly emerges in the earliest strata is a sort of communal love that appears to transcend family, tribe, class, etc. This is further unwrapped in the OP to this old thread ----

Utter bollocks.

Stein wrote:http://www.rationalskepticism.org/general-faith/reflections-on-deism-t28933.html

--- That OP is quite long, unfortunately, so the "Readers' Digest" version of it is that it's striking how these earliest strata do not uniformly deal with an afterlife, do not all deal with any sort of abode, scary or cozy, for an afterlife, do not all deal with an omnipotent entity of some kind, do not all deal with a "creator", do not all deal with fulminations on "sin", do not all deal in any sort of woo explanations for natural phenomena, etc. These are all largely secondary -- if even cited at all, for that matter. What's stressed, again and again, is the notion that the divine somehow or other "mandates", in some way, due consideration and care for the vulnerable, the left out, the marginalized, the friendless, etc. That's where the earliest strata essentially "come from".

On the other side of the coin, the almost robotoid nostrums about the afterlife, "damnation", "creation", "supernatural" origins, "sin", omnipotence, etc., usually emerge in the later textual strata, when institutions and institutionalization become geared to establishing brute power over others at any cost, once the original founder is no longer around to embarrass the opportunistic power brokers who infest the later history of every creed once the founder is safely dead and out of the way. :thumbdown:

It is for these reasons that, whether or not one takes the notion of deity as either a fiction or grounded in reality, the notion of deity as primarily centered in caring for the "other" is still the one notion that better fits the apparent jotted-down experience of those who have actually been documented as pioneering the most self-generated and original notions re deity through the ages. If deity is anything real at all -- a big IF -- then deity is more likely, given the written record from the most pioneering founder figures, to be some sort of force engaged in gluing community together, rather than in generating the cosmos or in supervising afterlifes, etc. Given such a predominant attribute, it even makes good -- relative -- sense to suppose that whatever deity is, it's just as likely to be some sort of entity that is post-cosmos rather than pre-cosmos.

For all these reasons, that's why it's relatively less asinine to make a claim that "God is love" than it is to make the tired claim that God is omnipotent, or a "creator", or a "punisher", or blah-blah-blah.

Stein

:lol:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Stein » Aug 06, 2015 2:55 am

Wow. What a deeply thought through posting. Profound. 101 ludicrous models are generated for deity -- whatever that is -- and when an OP cites the one attribute that those who claim direct encounter with it are consistent on, the rest of us are evidently not supposed to unwrap that further because Mr. almighty and powerful and infallible YOU might deem it too ludicrous for serious discussion. Now, THAT'S a bully's charter, for sure, and you're the FUCKING BULLY.

Stein
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 06, 2015 8:52 am

Stein wrote:Wow. What a deeply thought through posting.

I see no point in adressing blindly asserted nonsense in any detail.
You're making the claims Stein, it's up to you to defend them, not me to disprove them.

Stein wrote: Profound. 101 ludicrous models are generated for deity -- whatever that is -- and when an OP cites the one attribute that those who claim direct encounter with it are consistent on,

Appeal to popularity and confirmation bias fallacies.
Alien abductees are also very consitent on certain aspects. Doesn't mean they were actually abducted by aliens.

Stein wrote:the rest of us are evidently not supposed to unwrap that further because Mr. almighty and powerful and infallible YOU might deem it too ludicrous for serious discussion. Now, THAT'S a bully's charter, for sure, and you're the FUCKING BULLY.

It's also directly extracted from your rectum since I said nothing of the sort.
I'll let it slide this once, but if you once again start making shit up about me claims or positions I will report said post.
I've asked you to cease doing so in past threads, I will not do so ad infinitum again.
You're free to believe and discuss whatever you want, just as I'm free to point out when your posts consist of nothing but blindly asserted nonsense and logical fallacies.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Blip » Aug 07, 2015 12:07 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Stein, in your post here you call another member a ‘FUCKING BULLY’ having referred to him as ‘Mr. almighty and powerful and infallible YOU’.

This contravenes the Forum Users’ Agreement, specifically section 1.2c, which concerns personal attack and section 1.2e, which concerns inflammatory posting. Please don’t post in this way or you may attract sanction.

Any comments on this modnote or moderation should not be made in the thread as they will be considered off topic. You may PM me or another moderator if you wish to discuss this further.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity