Going back

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Going back

#61  Postby felltoearth » May 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Right?

I get that church offers some people a sense of community but I get that outside of religion. It surprises me everyone doesn't.

When I was a teen, church was a bit if a safe space. I was part of the teen group at my Catholic Parish. There was teen drama but everyone treated each other with respect. Oh and because we were Catholic there was a fair amount of sex, drinking and drug taking.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Evolving » May 20, 2018 6:24 pm

aliihsanasl wrote:But Im happy to seee that its changing and AKP served it a lot, while trying to create a religious generation it end up totally opposite :cheers:

Really? That's encouraging.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#63  Postby aliihsanasl » May 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Evolving wrote:
aliihsanasl wrote:But Im happy to seee that its changing and AKP served it a lot, while trying to create a religious generation it end up totally opposite :cheers:

Really? That's encouraging.

Islamists fall to the same trap as secular wings did 15 years ago. Forcing people resulted with a reaction, according to a poll made in religious schools (lots of classic highschools converted into religious schools) kids answered to questions as "my school/family forcing me to dress hijab but actually Im agnostic" this poll wanted to kept away from public somehow it leaked.

Same day Erdoğan had party speech, he was very angry for the first time during a speech he called a minister (education) and spoke very harsly.

After that storm never calm down one poll followed another they began to ask kids why they no more believe Islam answer was "Islamist AKP government's corrupted administration" ....

The moment when he called the minister, in that video its not zoomed and mic is off but title of video is "tense moment between minister and Erdoğan during party speech"

"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#64  Postby theropod » May 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Seabass wrote:Thank god I married an atheist.

:lol:

Me too!

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#65  Postby laklak » May 20, 2018 6:57 pm

Me three!

OK she's a bit of a spiritual woo head, but not too bad. Keeps the conversation interesting after a blunt.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Hermit » May 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Fallible wrote:...the liberal application of comfortable lies...

In view of SP's political stance the proximity of "liberal" to "lies" made me chuckle.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#67  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jun 03, 2018 10:04 pm

Went to the new Pentecostal church this morning with my wife. Had a great time, met some really wonderful people, and all-in-all, we really enjoyed the experience.

I went to put $$$ into the collection plate and I was told that it wasn’t necessary since I was a guest. They also gave me (as a newbie) a nice outdoor water bottle and 3 cards for free coffee and whatever I wanted from their snack bar.

When I first arrived I was met by a man in a wheelchair. I think that he greets all new (and possibly old) arrivals. He’s probably one of the happiest people that I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. Anyway, it really made me think. So many people (with no problems whatsoever) whine and complain about the most mundane things… having someone cut in line, a person not waiting their turn at a 4-way stop and so on, yet here’s a guy that has legitimate reasons to complain, and yet he’s a fountain of happiness.

He came over to where my wife and I were sitting and talked with us for a bit, gave us a few gifts and made us feel soooooooooooooooo welcome there.

Thankfully we didn’t have to sing, they have a band which is really quite good. After a few songs they have everyone stand up and do a ‘shake hands and say hi to those around you’.

I’m glad that I went and will be back there again next week.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 03, 2018 11:38 pm

You are a new source of income. Of course, you are made to feel welcome.

Publicly withhold your “offerings”. You will rapidly learn how far that welcome goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#69  Postby felltoearth » Jun 04, 2018 2:44 am

The_Metatron wrote:You are a new source of income. Of course, you are made to feel welcome.

Publicly withhold your “offerings”. You will rapidly learn how far that welcome goes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

First one is always free.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#70  Postby laklak » Jun 04, 2018 3:37 am

I've been to church a few times in my life, no more than 4 or 5 times in total (excluding weddings and funerals). I despised every second of it. I've hated anything and everything to do with religion my entire life, literally from the earliest times I can remember. I can't stand all that pious bullshit, the praying, the stupid stories, those plastic faced "youth pastors", the fake fellowship. Honestly, it really creeped me the fuck out, even as a little kid. I never trusted anyone involved in any of it.

We had to pray every morning at school, I hated that too. It was just such a massive load of horseshit, I couldn't understand how anyone could actually believe that nonsense. I mean, a fucking 5 year old kid could see through it, and here were these adults, supposedly responsible, intelligent adults, mumbling about zombies and drinking blood and cannibalism. It's fucking weird, y'all, truly fucking weird.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 04, 2018 4:28 am

Skinny Puppy wrote:Went to the new Pentecostal church this morning with my wife. Had a great time, met some really wonderful people, and all-in-all, we really enjoyed the experience.

I'm glad you got something out of it.

Skinny Puppy wrote:I went to put $$$ into the collection plate and I was told that it wasn’t necessary since I was a guest.

"Try our gym, now free for the first month!"

Skinny Puppy wrote:They also gave me (as a newbie) a nice outdoor water bottle and 3 cards for free coffee and whatever I wanted from their snack bar.

"Subscribe now and you'll receive coupons for our cafeteria worth a 100 dollars all together!"

Skinny Puppy wrote:When I first arrived I was met by a man in a wheelchair. I think that he greets all new (and possibly old) arrivals. He’s probably one of the happiest people that I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet. Anyway, it really made me think. So many people (with no problems whatsoever) whine and complain about the most mundane things… having someone cut in line, a person not waiting their turn at a 4-way stop and so on, yet here’s a guy that has legitimate reasons to complain, and yet he’s a fountain of happiness.

So are many people without being religious or theists.

Skinny Puppy wrote:He came over to where my wife and I were sitting and talked with us for a bit, gave us a few gifts and made us feel soooooooooooooooo welcome there.

So do hostesses and hosts at gym clubs.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Fallible » Jun 04, 2018 5:39 am

What would you expect, that they would be horrible to you?
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out a map sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#73  Postby zulumoose » Jun 04, 2018 6:54 am

laklak wrote:I've been to church a few times in my life, no more than 4 or 5 times in total (excluding weddings and funerals). I despised every second of it. I've hated anything and everything to do with religion my entire life, literally from the earliest times I can remember. I can't stand all that pious bullshit, the praying, the stupid stories, those plastic faced "youth pastors", the fake fellowship. Honestly, it really creeped me the fuck out, even as a little kid. I never trusted anyone involved in any of it.

We had to pray every morning at school, I hated that too. It was just such a massive load of horseshit, I couldn't understand how anyone could actually believe that nonsense. I mean, a fucking 5 year old kid could see through it, and here were these adults, supposedly responsible, intelligent adults, mumbling about zombies and drinking blood and cannibalism. It's fucking weird, y'all, truly fucking weird.

Yup, just change the first sentence to something like "I was dragged to church for years as a child" and that's my experience exactly. As soon as I properly understood what I was supposed to believe (around age 7) I knew it was bullshit and told my parents as much, in more polite terms. My interest in religion is more a fascination for how people can be dragged in and remain delusional for long periods of time.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 04, 2018 8:01 am

Forced to go to sunday school for indoctrination at the age of 8. Did not go when it was good weather went walking on the nearby hills. The end of the year you were meant to get an attendance certificate. I never got mine as I did not attend enough my mother was furious. Went at 13 to bible classes (church of Scotland) fell out with the elder and got kicked out. The minister came round and explained that I could not be part of the communion unless I apologised which of course I never did. The number of times I actually went to a church service was at the most twice a year.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 04, 2018 8:11 am

Was baptized as an infant to please my Catholic grandfather, but was never taken to church or raised as a Christian. Unlike my nieces and nephews who all had their communion and attended church on religious holidays.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 04, 2018 8:14 am

Skinny Puppy wrote:Anyway, it really made me think. So many people (with no problems whatsoever) whine and complain about the most mundane things… having someone cut in line, a person not waiting their turn at a 4-way stop and so on, yet here’s a guy that has legitimate reasons to complain, and yet he’s a fountain of happiness.

And nobody knows why, right? he haz a godz

No. Fuck that. I think he just decided to be happy. Like you decided to go back to church, which you did to make someone else happy.

This reminds me of the old chestnut, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy."
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#77  Postby zulumoose » Jun 04, 2018 8:36 am

No. Fuck that. I think he just decided to be happy.

One likely explanation is he threw himself into a cause, made the church his life, his charity, his contribution to that community is how he values himself, and they welcome that. It's a win-win for him as long as he believes what he is doing is positive, and relatively easy to maintain if he believes a higher power is at work. None of that is any indication there is something real, it's all games we play with our motivation and sense of self-worth.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 04, 2018 8:41 am

Just turned off and accepted social pressure. The easy way out. Superficial pleasure. "Look at me. Am I not a good boy now". Pathetic.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 04, 2018 8:55 am

zulumoose wrote:
No. Fuck that. I think he just decided to be happy.

One likely explanation is he threw himself into a cause, made the church his life, his charity, his contribution to that community is how he values himself, and they welcome that. It's a win-win for him as long as he believes what he is doing is positive, and relatively easy to maintain if he believes a higher power is at work. None of that is any indication there is something real, it's all games we play with our motivation and sense of self-worth.

If we know it's all games, we just say, "fuck it". There's the payoff you already mentioned, the "welcoming". Man, some folks sell themselves short, except when we can see how tall they are.

It's worthwhile if you believe it is. Welcome to the business of believing.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 04, 2018 12:09 pm

Why wouldn't an organisation be nice to new members? Seems like exactly what you would see if you joined a curling club. I'm struggling to see why niceness is being linked to religion.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity