Going back

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Going back

#81  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 04, 2018 4:10 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:Anyway, it really made me think. So many people (with no problems whatsoever) whine and complain about the most mundane things… having someone cut in line, a person not waiting their turn at a 4-way stop and so on, yet here’s a guy that has legitimate reasons to complain, and yet he’s a fountain of happiness.

And nobody knows why, right? he haz a godz

No. Fuck that. I think he just decided to be happy. Like you decided to go back to church, which you did to make someone else happy.

This reminds me of the old chestnut, "If Mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy."

In my house, it’s “Let the Wookie win.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby scott1328 » Jun 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Why wouldn't an organisation be nice to new members? Seems like exactly what you would see if you joined a curling club. I'm struggling to see why niceness is being linked to religion.

In the fundagelical circles, they are REQUIRED to be nice to you. Else, its a sin.

So if you have to force people to pretend to like you and be nice to you, your best place to be is at a Fundagelical meeting.

I can see why Skinny Puppy decided to go back to church.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#83  Postby kiore » Jun 04, 2018 5:39 pm

I am prepared to accept the premise that the people were actually happy and friendly without needing ulterior motives, they probably have a strong social network, people to socialize with usually ready made small groups within the larger group to have close association with, people to help out who share their special interests. Even stronger than a sport or other social club they will have many of the difficult things in life like making decisions and having opinions are prepackaged for them.
What goes on behind closed doors, well the converse of having a close regulated group is that many people will know your private business and have strong opinions on your actions, gossip, competition for privileged positions etc functionally a village society within broader society.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#84  Postby OlivierK » Jun 05, 2018 12:21 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Right?

I get that church offers some people a sense of community but I get that outside of religion. It surprises me everyone doesn't.

If Skinny treats people in real life how he treats people here, it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't. As Scott1328 said, groups where overt expressions of judgement are taboo provide a way around that problem.

Speaking beyond Skinny's example, that unconditional element of acceptance is a standard way for religions to harvest the souls of those struggling to gain acceptance in the outside world. That same unwillingness to cast judgement is also fairly handy for running criminal enterprises such as paedophile rings. Offering validation to assholes is good for assholes, but a cancer on society.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#85  Postby laklak » Jun 05, 2018 2:32 am

Cults of all stripes are really nice to novices. Then they get your credit card. If you're a guy they get your wife and daughters, sometimes you. Pyramid sales schemes are really nice to novices. Loan sharks are friendly at first. Drug dealers, too. Hell, my ex-wife was friendly when I met her.

Don't trust anybody, that's my advice.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 05, 2018 7:09 am

Some organisations are just made up of nice people who want to make noobs feel welcome. I have no way of knowing which is the case in this sitch. Assuming they are just friendly people though, I'm not sure how it's unique to a Christian church.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#87  Postby TopCat » Jun 05, 2018 7:59 am

OlivierK wrote:.... that unconditional element of acceptance ....

It absolutely is not unconditional, that's just a convenient, fluffy-sounding fiction.

The condition is conformity and acquiescence.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby OlivierK » Jun 05, 2018 10:41 am

Yeah, I agree. Even to the extent that it's there, it's a veneer, plastered on by some of the most judgemental people on the planet.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Hamster » Jun 06, 2018 10:26 pm

Most people understand the appeal of fellowship surely? That's not the tricky part. It's the price of entry to the cosy, (in this case) familiar, smiley place is not just money in the plate; it is swallowing a mighty load of brown.
I'd keep the rennies handy.
Hamster

Print view this post

#90  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 06, 2018 10:29 pm

I don’t know what rennies are. I bet I agree with you, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Hermit » Jun 07, 2018 12:31 am

The_Metatron wrote:I don’t know what rennies are. I bet I agree with you, though.

Heartburn and indigestion relief tablets
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#92  Postby laklak » Jun 07, 2018 2:14 am

Tums, basically.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Moonwatcher » Jun 07, 2018 4:55 am

I certainly wish you the best, Skinnypuppy.

It's been many years but there were a couple of times I was tempted to go back for the social aspect and even tried to convince myself that it was true in some sense and to rationalize it. But I knew it wouldn't last for me, that I'd get sick and tired of pretending it was true or gritting my teeth/ smiling while some idiots railed against evolution and gay people.

But if you really believe it or even if you're just doing it for your wife, good luck to you.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity