Hell Is Not the Issue

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Hell Is Not the Issue

#181  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 14, 2014 12:01 am

satis5d wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Notice how he says that:
not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law
and
not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished.

satis5d wrote:snip defintion of fufill <snip>

I'm fully aware of what fufill means.
It does not mean; to abandon parts of a law code.

All law is merely the expression of will of an authority.

And according to the bible, morality is absolute.
So the moral laws as given by god are absolute and unchanging, especially in light of the quotes I gave you.

satis5d wrote:The same authority which gives a law can repeal that law.

Not if it is a moral law, proscribed by a proclaimed absolute source.

satis5d wrote:The law that Jesus speaks about in your Bible quote is God's law which Jesus has been authorized to fulfill (put an end to)..

And once again you demonstrate you do not understand the words you use.
You cannot fufill a law, other than by enforcing it rigourously.
You cannot fufill "Thou shalt not kill" other than by preventing and/or punishing anyone who kills.

satis5d wrote: That fulfillment has not yet happened.

Which means all laws still apply, in contradiction to your earlier claim.

satis5d wrote:
Either a law is correct or it isn't.
Law isn't something that stop being valid.
Either it's morally and legally wrong to have a divorce, for example, or it isn't.
Not, one day it is and one day it isn't.
Remember the bible claims morality is an absolute thing, received from god.

Law is only what an authority is willing and able to enforce. Laws change ALL THE TIME

Human, subjective laws do.
God is claimed to be in possesion of absolute morality.
Absolute means unchanging, without restriction.
I.e. it is absolutely wrong to kill or it isn't.
There is no middle ground.

satis5d wrote: and some laws (like some border protection laws at the moment) are unenforced, giving the effect of no law.

You're still conflating flawed, subjective human law with law derived from absolute morality.

satis5d wrote:Your argument here is an open claim to ABSOLUTE TRUTH, which I thought was practically forbidden here.

No, it's a referral to the fact that the bible claims that morality is absolute and ergo any moral laws are also absolute and in light of the quote I provided, unchanging.

satis5d wrote:If you can show me where the Bible claims that morality is an absolute thing, I'll be impressed. I've read the whole thing several times and I seem to have missed that part.

Voila:
“I am the LORD, I do not change” (Malachi 3:6, NKJV).

Ergo, god doesn't change his mind about morality either.
“All His precepts are sure. They stand fast forever and ever” (Psalm 111:7, 8, NKJV).

I.o.w. all gods rules are certain and eternal.

God doesn't change his mind:
Numbers 23:19 ESV
God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?

Gods advise to the people is eternal, not temporary:
Psalm 33:11 ESV
The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of his heart to all generations.

God is absolute justice and moral:
Deuteronomy 32:4 ESV

“The Rock, his work is perfect, for all his ways are justice. A God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and upright is he.

Want more?
Maybe you should read this as well:
http://www.the-ten-commandments.org/jesus_fulfilled_the_moral_law.html

satis5d wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:If this god is so loving, and powerful, why does he need to create, much less involve pain and sorrow in his plans?

Pain serves some very valuable purposes.

What valuable purpose?

satis5d wrote:Without pain we would do tremendous damage to our bodies.

Bollocks. God could've created us with instinctive or inborn knowledgeto avoid danger and seek healing.

satis5d wrote:Sorrow, also has its place.

For what purpose?

satis5d wrote:Although we see it as a negative emotion, for some sorrow helps people who otherwise feel somewhat numb to feel anything at all.

That says more about those people than about the necessity of sorrow.

satis5d wrote:But overall, as I've said before, I believe that the main reason for pain and suffering in this world is to amplify the benefit of living without either in the New world.

Why is there a need for this new world in the first place?

satis5d wrote:
satis5d wrote: which we brought upon ourselves through deception followed by a great rescue and a blessed eternity.

Utter bollocks.
1.Adam and Eve didn't have knowledge of good and evil, untill after they ate the forbidden fruit.
Ergo they cannot rationally be held responsible for doing so.
2. No-one else of the human race was present at that moment or in anyway able to affect the situation. So the idea of original sin is absolute hogwash.

No, Adam did indeed have the knowledge between good and evil. God said that he could eat from every tree of the garden except the one in the middle of it. That's knowledge.

Knowledge that god said something. But without knowledge of good and evil Adam would have had no (rational) basis to obey god.

satis5d wrote:What they didn't have before making that fateful decision was the EXPERIENCE of good and evil having only experienced good previous to that moment.

False. It's explicitely stated they had no knowledge of good and evil.
If you have experience of it, then you have knowledge of it.

satis5d wrote:You make it sound as though God said, "Hey, there may be a tree in the garden that you cannot eat from. You'll be sorry if you eat from it, though."

No, I'm saying that without a grasp of morality, you cannot expect people to do the right thing.

satis5d wrote:
satis5d wrote: At some point there has to be a reckoning-- a time where all is put back into balance. If God is going to be the judge, then he must be fair, but as creator, he made this mess. So we have a conundrum.

If god is fair, he wouldn't condemn people that have no moral compass. If god was fair, he wouldn't condemn people for crimes they didn't, heck couldn't have comitted.

I agree with you if all there is is this life on this world.

That's a complete non-sequitur.
There's nothing fair about punishing people who have no moral compass and therefore awareness of the consequences of their actions.
There's nothing fair about punishing people for the crimes of others.
This is true regardless of whether there's an afterlife or not.

satis5d wrote:But if He has plans to make all things right by compensating (or even over-compensating them) for the inequality here, there is no concern with fairness.

Ah, so as long as a sadist provides you with prosthetics and some extra cash, it's completely fair of him to cut of your legs?
:yuk: :crazy:
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on Jul 14, 2014 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#182  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 14, 2014 12:02 am

theropod wrote:...and with the latest set of bullshit rewriting of the Bible II am done here. When an apologist has to lie about his own holy text in order to support his dogma there is no point in discussing anything with him/her. Said apologist can just make up anything he/she chooses and there is no rational means by which one may engage them.

See y'all. Have fun.

RS

:this:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#183  Postby Fallible » Jul 14, 2014 8:35 am

:rofl: Nice post, Thomas. Reading that, it's almost like satis5d isn't the authority on the Bible he thinks he is.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#184  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 14, 2014 10:10 am

Thanks.
For those of you who can't be arsed to read the linked site, here's an excellent paraphrase of a bible verse, if what satis and other apologists like him claim is true:
Starting with verse 17, this is what Jesus would effectively be saying,

“Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to DESTROY THE LAW but I have come to DESTROY THE LAW. Now that I have come to fulfil the law and hence destroy the law, I am telling you that till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall, that is, not the crossing of a “t” or the dotting of an “i” shall in NO wise pass from the law that I am ending. And since fulfilling the law ends and destroys the law, I am telling you that whosoever therefore shall BREAK ONE of these least Commandments shall be referred to as least by those in the kingdom, and since I am abolishing the law, I am telling you that you are now to TEACH THE LAW also that I am abolishing. You have heard before that “THOU SHALL NOT KILL” but now that I am fulfilling and so ending the law, now I say that whosoever is ANGRY with his brother WITHOUT A CAUSE shall be in danger of the judgment and whosoever shall say, YOU FOOL, shall be in danger of HELL FIRE. You have heard that it was said by them of old time, “YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY” but since fulfilling the law ends the law, now I say unto you, That whosoever looks on a woman to lust after her has COMMITTED ADULTERY with her already in his heart.”
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#185  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 14, 2014 10:47 am

... then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#186  Postby monkeyboy » Jul 14, 2014 10:59 am

Sorry Jesse but what you have written bears no resemblance in style given that although intentionally daft, it actually makes sense so your parody fails.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#187  Postby trubble76 » Jul 14, 2014 3:05 pm

satis5d wrote:
trubble76 wrote:So we have to believe in your god first, then we will find reasons to believe in your god, is that right? Do you see what dishonest crap that looks like? You criticise our humility, another example of the dishonest manipulation that you asked me to point out. Does humility mean simply accepting what you say? Many of the people here value science, this makes them far better versed in humility than some proselytising god-botherer who thinks he has a direct line to his god. Humility is saying "I don't know but I'm going to try to find out." not "The answer is god, my god, accept it else." Perhaps you should look to the beam in your eye before casting judgement on us? You talk about "seekers of truth" but that is not you, is it? You have already found your truth and you want us to swallow it, hook, line and sinker, in the name of humility, on nothing more than your sayso.

You have shown us, as so many before you have done, that you are only interested in manipulation and self-aggrandisement. You have been exposed, the Emporer has no clothes on.

1. If you've paid attention to the key points I've made from the beginning of this thread, my point, and the point of my book is that you don't need to believe in my God or any god. Even if you go to your grave denying His existence, the God I know will rescue you from Hell and set you up for eternity in conditions far better than you can imagine on this earth after it has been refurbished. I say this based on years of study of the same Bible that many of you here criticize.

I think I have been paying attention, I think the failure of attention belongs to you. For example, earlier you said "It's not that what I say is untestable, it's that God is highly unlikely to answer your deepest questions when your attitude toward him is one of pride and disingenuous request.", which seems to directly contradict "you don't need to believe in my God or any god."
Also, you said "God may be found if you honestly want to find him." which also contradicts yourself.
How's your attention now?

2. Have I criticized anyone's humility? Or did I point out that up to that point I hadn't noticed much of it.

That sure sounds like criticism to me. I do hope that you're not tempted to bear false witness.

3. I have been forced to change many parts of my worldview over the years in my search for truth. I value scientific study a great deal. What I believe now has been hard fought, for the most part, and I will not easily be moved from my position, as I expect neither will any of you. I continue to share my beliefs with you because I've not heard that anyone else here has the same peace about death and Hell that I have.

I can assure you that a great many of us have a great deal of peace about your hell, just as we have about Nirvana, Valhalla and so on. I have a great peace about it because I am quite sure that it is a bunch of pathetic lies used by manipulative charlatans to further their own aims. Unfortunately, some of my fellow members do not share that peace, as they suffer the after-effects of those charlatans long after the event. I believe people with beliefs like yours are damaging to people in that way.

4. What do I stand to gain by manipulating anyone here? I'm not trying to convert you. At best I've kicked the anthill. The ants will scurry around wildly for a little bit, but soon they will go back to their daily business with their anthill fully rebuilt. I'm here to learn. I'm learning mostly about how you feel about God, the Bible and religion. I'm also open to tweaking my worldview if and when someone presents something worth adding.

I do not know you, nor can I know what you gain from your games, I can hazard a guess though. I suspect you enjoy the feeling of superiority you most likely get from educating us about this imaginary torture chamber your loving god has supposedly gifted us with, even though you are clearly just speculating on the colour of Santa's socks, so to speak. I do not think you are here to learn a damned thing, you appear to know all about your god and his torture methods, what use could a bunch of heathens be to you?

It seems to me that this group is rife with fear and that you soothe each other with talk of how this evil God of the Bible doesn't exist, therefore Hell must not exist. And yet your fear of Hell is not satisfied. (That's my assessment based on two days of observation. I'm not judging anyone in particular or saying that there's anything wrong with what you're doing. In fact, it's great that you have each other for support.) The fact that I'm here and that despite all of your brilliant scientific arguments that God does not exist I am unmoved from my position of loving the God you deny makes some of you uncomfortable. Great! It's good to be uncomfortable sometimes. It exposes the shallowness of our beliefs. I've been there myself lots of times. I gave up a good-paying job at a church because I became so uncomfortable with the fact that I could see that corporate religion was part of the problem, not the solution. I already agree with a lot of things that you guys say, and some of you seem very intelligent.

Fear? Fear of what, precisely? I do not fear things which I do not believe exist. I do not fear Apollo, nor do I fear Thor, nor do I fear Jehovah. None of them, or their imaginary realm hold the slightest fear for me. Equally, they do not make me feel uncomfortable. Your stabs in the dark are utterly wrong and betray your prejudices. I am unimpressed by the intellect you have displayed thus far, perhaps you have more to give?

So here is my big manipulation speech:
Live the way that you see fit and in the end the God that you deny will pleasantly surprise you. :o

Idiotic rubbish. Stick your god up your arse.

However, if you're unhappy with the way your life is going because of your fear of death and Hell, I know what I've learned and experienced first-hand and I am certain that life can lived without fear of death and Hell because I'm living proof of it. Not because I'm anything special, that's just my experience. It seems to me that offering those who live in fear a solution would be a loving thing to do (provided that I do it for free and for no other personal benefit) since it seems that not many people around here have a solution other than to convince yourselves that God doesn't exist.

The simplest and best way of losing a fear of hell is to not believe in the existence of hell. I can testify to the efficiency of that tactic. I do not need to "convince myself" that your god does not exist any more than we both have to convince ourselves that Zeus does not rule the gods of Olympus. You are trying to be manipulative and it stinks.

Do you have anymore proselytising to do or have you finished yet?
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#188  Postby KeenIdiot » Jul 14, 2014 7:14 pm

Isn't the fall of Satan/Lucifer/Devil a sort of expanded universe fiction?
I don't recall it being in the Bible itself.
The Jews certainly had/have a different view on his role in the heavenly judgement.
I also recall the only time Lucifer being mentioned was a purposeful translation against the heretical St. Lucifer. The term should have been translated as the morning star, as my often faulty memory informs me.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#189  Postby THWOTH » Jul 14, 2014 10:33 pm

BeliefNet might come to our salvation here...

William D. Webber wrote:Angel FAQs: The Fall of Satan

... Although Satan appears frequently in the Scriptures, the Bible does not tell us a great deal about the fall of Satan and his angels. "Falling from heaven" does not refer to geography such as going from heaven to hell; Satan still had access to God’s throne in heaven (Job 1:6, 12; 2:1,7). Instead, the term "falling from heaven" is a Near Eastern way of saying that someone has suffered defeat, and it was also used in ancient non-biblical literature to describe the fall of gods from power. It is similar to our expression "falling from grace." Falling from heaven, then, means to lose one’s role or power....

http://www.beliefnet.com/Inspiration/An ... Satan.aspx

:whistle:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#190  Postby Goldenmane » Jul 15, 2014 2:28 am

KeenIdiot wrote:Isn't the fall of Satan/Lucifer/Devil a sort of expanded universe fiction?
The Jews certainly had/have a different view on his role in the heavenly judgement.
I also recall the only time Lucifer being mentioned was a purposeful translation against the heretical St. Lucifer. The term should have been translated as the morning star, as my often faulty memory informs me.

Comes from Milton's Paradise Lost, IIRC.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#191  Postby KeenIdiot » Jul 15, 2014 4:40 am

Goldenmane wrote:
KeenIdiot wrote:Isn't the fall of Satan/Lucifer/Devil a sort of expanded universe fiction?

Comes from Milton's Paradise Lost, IIRC.

Lot of the descriptions do,yeah. Think the Fall predates him.
KeenIdiot

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#192  Postby THWOTH » Jul 15, 2014 8:58 am

The Fall was a political re-branding, a shift from a pantheonic view towards a more fundamental view with a singular entity at the top of the celestial pyramid. We still see a rather confused pantheonic interpretation in the Catholic Saints, each with their special powers and responsibilities, and the Devil seems to fall (ha!) easily into that category - the Saint with the responsibility for the souls of the dead that don't make the cut for the VIP lounge.

Of course, being a cautionary tale, The Fall is there to reinforce the authority of the head man and to warn us about the consequence of disobedience and/or getting ideas above our station, consequences ramped up to the extreme to ram the point home: Obey me! Or you'll be tortured FOR EVAH, and you'll only have yourself to blame because you failed to use your free will to choose to obey me!

At the same time we're often told that God loves and sustains everyone, both living or dead, and so even as Satan is shitting boiling stools of lava into the eyes of condemned souls God's love never falters. He is forever concerned for us because that's part of his job description, and grieves for us and suffers with us. In fact, our suffering hurts God far more than it hurts us because we are his special creation and therefore we're so very very precious to him.

So, what we have from God is, 'You made me do it', and, 'it hurts me more than it hurts you,' which just makes the whole Hell thing a self-justifying creed that sounds very much like an abusers' charter for the violent monomaniac.

See: http://blog.adw.org/2011/02/does-god-lo ... ey-suffer/
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#193  Postby THWOTH » Jul 15, 2014 8:50 pm

Here's Sharon Baker's problems with hell...

Sharon L. Baker wrote:
  1. Hell doesn't avenge evil or reveal God's power. It does the exact opposite! By holding on to the doctrine of eternal hell, we in essence hold to the belief that in the end God's will to save all people goes unfulfilled, which puts God's power and goodness in doubt.
  2. Hell heralds eternal hopelessness. Suffering in hell for all eternity means that souls burning there forever will exist without any hope of redemption. This leads us to the belief that God withdraws unconditional love once a person's body dies. In other words, God's love for us is tied to the physical body and the temporal realm, and grace disappears for unbelievers after the physical life is gone.
  3. Hell keeps evil in eternal existence. The Bible tells us that, in the end, God will abolish evil. Yet, somewhere in the universal expanse of God's perfect peaceful kingdom, evil still survives in those who inhabit hell -- evil "lives" on eternally.
  4. Hell creates a clash between justice and love. We unintentionally conjure up a cruel father who demands that unrepentant sinners spend eternity in the flames of hell, finding endless torture an agreeable way to achieve justice -- which is a far cry from the God who loves with an everlasting love. We develop a picture of a God who promotes eternal punishment as positive, as part and parcel of divine love and justice. We try to relieve these tensions by appealing to God's love and mercy on the one hand, and to God's justice and wrath on the other. Such a view of God's love, mercy, justice, and wrath leads to the conclusion that to love is to punish eternally and, therefore, to punish eternally is just.
  5. Hell assigns eternal violence to God: Traditional theories of hell not only keep evil in eternal existence; they also keep the cycle of violence in motion for all eternity as unfortunate souls suffer the ferocity of eternal torture because God requires it.
  6. Hell executes eternal punishment for temporal sin: Does sin committed during one short, temporary life span deserve an eternity of punishment? Even in our own society, we strive to make the punishment fit the crime.
Sharon L. Baker, The Problem With Hell. Huffington Post, 08/27/10
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sharon-l- ... 92924.html

She says she has a solution to the problem, to wit; these are just the incentives God uses to encourage us to save ourselves. :roll:
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#194  Postby laklak » Jul 15, 2014 9:22 pm

Goodness. All this verbiage, all these reasoned arguments. Here's mine: It's a load of horseshit. I don't see why any other argument is really necessary.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#195  Postby kennyc » Jul 15, 2014 9:26 pm

What is it they say? Verbiage is good for your digestion........oh wait....that's roughage isn't it. :D
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#196  Postby laklak » Jul 15, 2014 9:28 pm

Most of their verbiage, like Shinola, is indistinguishable from shit, so I think either qualifies.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#197  Postby Greyman » Jul 15, 2014 10:16 pm

To summarise: Satis5d decided to reassure atheists that they didn't have to pretend not to believe in God, because they don't have to fear Hell. To do this he wrote a book using his authority as someone who studied the Bible, and proceeded to demonstrate this scholarship consisted of: contradictory claims, cherry picking, and outright making stuff up.

In conclusion: The fail is great with this one. Hell is not the issue, but not for the reasons Satis5d thinks. Atheists actually don't believe in God, but many have actually read the Bible.
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - T. Tick.
Greyman

Name: Graham

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#198  Postby kennyc » Jul 15, 2014 10:23 pm

I think he's abandoned ship.....
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#199  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jul 15, 2014 10:31 pm

kennyc wrote:I think he's abandoned ship.....

It must be a miracle. :coffee:
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#200  Postby KeenIdiot » Jul 15, 2014 10:35 pm

Honestly, I was interested in hearing how he justified the story of the fall as something that itself has no bearing in the Bible.
KeenIdiot

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity