Historical Jesus

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Historical Jesus

#38721  Postby Scar » Apr 28, 2015 4:05 pm

Free wrote:
Scar wrote:I did not.

Free wrote:
Scar wrote:And just to further elaborate, so there's no more room for selective reading:
I accept the consensus on evolution because I looked at the evidence it's based upon and found it convincing.
I don't accept the consensus on the historical Jesus (and hence remain on the fence), because I looked at the evidence and didn't find it convincing.

That's rational. Mindlessly accepting all consensus because of an appeal to authority is idiotic.

It's true, each of us can accept or reject whatever we choose in regards to any consensus. However, when I see people rejecting the consensus of historians, I really do not see much of a difference between them and the young earther who rejects the consensus of the scientific community on the issue of evolution.

But you know ... that's just my opinion.

:thumbup:

You have yet to present that convincing evidence that their consensus is based upon and you seem to be quite reluctant to even touch this crucial point. Why is that?

But, well if you're unable to defend your position and instead go on a smear campain, I've got nothing more to say. You've just destroyed the last bit of credibility you might have had.

Oh so you want to know what the consensus thinks? You don't know how to Google it? The consensus is so extensive that it would be silly to attempt to post it all here.

Simply Google it. Here's the link:

Consensus on Jesus

We've had the Jesus Seminar, the Jesus Project, as well as numerous gatherings of history professionals discussing this subject many times over the years.

Have fun with that.

:dance:

Oh I'm well aware of the shit people have convinced themselves shows their imaginary friends' son to be real and sorry, I'm not convinced. The fact that you actually dare compare this situation to evolution and the mountain of strong evidence in favor of it, from multiple disciplines, is laughably stupid. The consensus on evolition is not at all comparable to the flimsy circle-jerk that is the one on Jesus.

Sheesh, I can't be arsed to play these kindergarden games. Your dishonest, irrational apporach has been made clear to anyone reading this without an agenda, so my job is done here.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#38722  Postby Stein » Apr 28, 2015 4:08 pm

proudfootz wrote:
Stein wrote:Is anyone here going to answer a perfectly reasonable question: Can you point to any NON-apologetic text of the first century c.e., or the early second, that references Jesus the rabbi as a purely mythical figure?

Stein

No one needs such a document to conclude Heracles or Odysseus is a myth.

So the reasonableness of such a question is rather dubious.

On a skeptics forum members are rather inclined to think for themselves.

I see. Translation: you can't come up with any such NON-apologetic NON-canonical text at all. Thank you. -- FAIL.

:thumbup: :dance:

Stein
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38723  Postby proudfootz » Apr 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Stein wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Stein wrote:Is anyone here going to answer a perfectly reasonable question: Can you point to any NON-apologetic text of the first century c.e., or the early second, that references Jesus the rabbi as a purely mythical figure?

Stein

No one needs such a document to conclude Heracles or Odysseus is a myth.

So the reasonableness of such a question is rather dubious.

On a skeptics forum members are rather inclined to think for themselves.

I see. Translation: you can't come up with any such NON-apologetic NON-canonical text at all. Thank you. -- FAIL.

Stein

Fail at chasing you with your reversing the burden of proof?

Yes, failed at playing your dishonest game.

I also fail when theists demand I prove God doesn't exist. They think that's a victory for their side, too.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38724  Postby Stein » Apr 28, 2015 4:19 pm

proudfootz wrote:
Stein wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Stein wrote:

I'm NOT pointing at the Bible here, YOU LIAR. I'm explicitly pointing to any NON-apologetic text. Can you point to any NON-apologetic text of the first century c.e., or the early second, that references Jesus the rabbi as a purely mythical figure?

Answer. the. question.

Stein

Why should I. Jesus did not exist. Why should I look how about you getting of your arse and looking. I dont have to prove anything. You make the claim now justify it. Bring on the evidence Theist!

ALL the NON-apologetic texts of that time describe Jesus as a rabbi or a mountebank, NOT a myth. Can you show us any NON-apologetic text to the contrary? I have already presented the data here countless times (http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post1 ... s#p1864721), and that's WHY I'm asking YOU if you can add anything to it.

Stop avoiding the question: I'm asking anyone here, Can you point to any NON-apologetic text of the first century c.e., or the early second, that references Jesus the rabbi as a purely mythical figure?

That IS a reasonable question.

Stein

No. It's not reasonable.

No one in this day and age needs any permission from a centuries old text to conclude Heracles or Odysseus is a myth.

There are no historical chronicles referencing either Heracles or Odysseus as an historic figure known personally to other people actually encountered by the chronicler. So the analogy doesn't work. It seems very likely you're just evading this question because you canNOT come up with any such NON-canonical text. You know what? Join the club: No one else can either.

Stein
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38725  Postby Free » Apr 28, 2015 4:45 pm

proudfootz wrote:
Free wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Free wrote:

When you make a claim that professes an underlying truth, you have made a positive claim. Since you claim the non-existence of Jesus, are you trying to say it is not true?

No, you are professing a truth, which is a positive. Since you are making a claim, you are therefore making a positive claim.

Hence, please provide evidence to support your positive claim of truth that Jesus never existed.

Yes, and while you're at it prove unicorns don't exist! :fly:

You would need collaborating evidence to conclusively demonstrate the probable existence of unicorns first.

Let's see it, myther. Otherwise ... yet another false comparison.

Actually a perfect comparison.

There is no collaborating evidence to conclusively demonstrate the probable existence of Jesus.

:book:

Obvious denialism, since we have Tacitus, Josephus, and non-canonical texts.

Try again, myther.

Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38726  Postby Free » Apr 28, 2015 5:06 pm

Scar wrote:
Free wrote:
Scar wrote:I did not.

Free wrote:

It's true, each of us can accept or reject whatever we choose in regards to any consensus. However, when I see people rejecting the consensus of historians, I really do not see much of a difference between them and the young earther who rejects the consensus of the scientific community on the issue of evolution.

But you know ... that's just my opinion.

You have yet to present that convincing evidence that their consensus is based upon and you seem to be quite reluctant to even touch this crucial point. Why is that?

But, well if you're unable to defend your position and instead go on a smear campain, I've got nothing more to say. You've just destroyed the last bit of credibility you might have had.

Oh so you want to know what the consensus thinks? You don't know how to Google it? The consensus is so extensive that it would be silly to attempt to post it all here.

Simply Google it. Here's the link:

Consensus on Jesus

We've had the Jesus Seminar, the Jesus Project, as well as numerous gatherings of history professionals discussing this subject many times over the years.

Have fun with that.

Oh I'm well aware of the shit people have convinced themselves shows their imaginary friends' son to be real and sorry, I'm not convinced.

Fallaciously Dismissive. Ad hominem. Unsupported Assertion.

You must be going for some kind of record regarding fallacious argumentation.

The fact that you actually dare compare this situation to evolution and the mountain of strong evidence in favor of it, from multiple disciplines, is laughably stupid. The consensus on evolition is not at all comparable to the flimsy circle-jerk that is the one on Jesus.

What I am actually doing is comparing one collective of intelligence with another, with both being academic. The comparison is reasonable, rational, and absolutely correct.

It doesn't matter in the slightest whether or not you personally disagree with the historical consensus. You are so insignificant that you could scream your head off any where on earth and nobody from the consensus will ever know it.

That's your reality in all this.

Sheesh, I can't be arsed to play these kindergarden games. Your dishonest, irrational apporach has been made clear to anyone reading this without an agenda, so my job is done here.

And again you have been demonstrated as employing logically fallacious arguments that even a child can expose. Being sided with the myther camp, you are almost certainly not even aware of your fallacious reasoning, as you have embedded yourself with assuming the conclusion before you have actually learned anything at all.

I have seen nothing from you- not even once- which disputes historicity in the slightest. Nothing at all.

I am still bending over in laughter at how poor the myther arguments actually are. For example, when dejuror attempted to argue that the Josephus text of "Jesus, who was called Christ" in Antiquities of the Jews actually referred to Jesus, son of Damneus, he was absolutely clueless that he was claiming that Jesus, son of Damneus, was Jesus Christ; claiming that Jesus Christ existed.

He shot himself in the foot so much with this one that he no longer has a leg to stand on, and now everyone who agreed with him has a big red face.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Free on Apr 28, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38727  Postby IanS » Apr 28, 2015 5:28 pm

Stein

Well firstly there are no texts of any kind extant from the 1st century that even mention Jesus at all. So your first century qualification is a complete red herring to start with - there are no biblical texts extant from the first century for example, so if you want to restrict your "evidence" just to the 1st century then you have no bible either!

And secondly I'm pretty sure that dejuror has frequently cited and reproduced quotes from early non-Christian texts that do say the Jesus stories were untrue myth. So perhaps dejuror can remind you/us of what those sources are.

But thirdly - it is totally irrelevant whether or not people in the 1st century said they believed the biblical Jesus stories to be myth. The only relevant factor is what we know now in the 21st century. And now we certainly do know that the biblical descriptions of Jesus are impossible fiction. And what's more I just listed all the evidence for you that "proves" how and why those biblical stories are fiction, and how and why the evidence all shows that the bible and the insistent claims of bible scholars, theologians and Christians over the past 2000 years are certainly untrue - see my post #38655 on page 1933 where all of that is spelt out in unarguable & factual detail.
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38728  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 28, 2015 5:40 pm

Where is your evidence?

We dont have to prove anything. You claim you prove. Will I educate you on that very simple point.
A) Nothing exists. Nothing. You understand what nothing is theist?
B) You claim jesus, god, satan and old uncle tom cobbly exist. You have to produce the evidence. Ok. We are alright so far theist?

Well thats it as simple as that. Quoting fairy stories and dubious ancient texts that dont stand up to any dusting down is not acceptable. Your evidence is worthless theist.

Just because you and your theist friends try to push this as the truth when plainly to any intelligent being it is the biggest load of crap ever.

You have lost. Bye bye. Watch out for the spring on the door. Oh sorry...
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38729  Postby Free » Apr 28, 2015 6:13 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Where is your evidence?

We dont have to prove anything. You claim you prove. Will I educate you on that very simple point.
A) Nothing exists. Nothing. You understand what nothing is theist?
B) You claim jesus, god, satan and old uncle tom cobbly exist. You have to produce the evidence. Ok. We are alright so far theist?

Well thats it as simple as that. Quoting fairy stories and dubious ancient texts that dont stand up to any dusting down is not acceptable. Your evidence is worthless theist.

Just because you and your theist friends try to push this as the truth when plainly to any intelligent being it is the biggest load of crap ever.

You have lost. Bye bye. Watch out for the spring on the door. Oh sorry...

Try to calm down. We are not theists. Do you somehow think that because we accept that the existence of Jesus of Nazareth is more probable than his non existence it somehow makes us theists?

How do you qualify that reasoning? How do you arrive at that conclusion?

I have met many atheists who share my view, and just because we atheists agree with the findings of the historical consensus by no means indicates we are any kind of theists.

You just don't like the fact that the historicity argument is far greater than the mythological argument, so you are striking out in anger and frustration at us.

Try to relax.

Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38730  Postby Stein » Apr 28, 2015 6:20 pm

IanS wrote:

Stein

Well firstly there are no texts of any kind extant from the 1st century that even mention Jesus at all. So your first century qualification is a complete red herring to start with - there are no biblical texts extant from the first century for example, so if you want to restrict your "evidence" just to the 1st century then you have no bible either!

How convenient that you don't even address the early 2nd century...........

IanS wrote:And secondly I'm pretty sure that dejuror has frequently cited and reproduced quotes from early non-Christian texts that do say the Jesus stories were untrue myth.

Name them.

IanS wrote: So perhaps dejuror can remind you/us of what those sources are.

But thirdly - it is totally irrelevant whether or not people in the 1st century said they believed the biblical Jesus stories to be myth.

No, it's completely relevant, because it would be evidence that Jesus was recognized as mythical at the time. It's both relevant and important because we already have Josephus and Tacitus testifying to individuals who personally knew Jesus the rabbi. So if you really want to shoot those two down, then go ahead, but then you have to show a contemporary text that avers Jesus the rabbi to be pure myth instead. You have no such text, do you? Tell me you do........ <crickets>

Now, we don't have any text testifying to individuals who personally knew Hercules, or Odysseus, or Moses, or Noah, or Jason, or Achilles, or Romulus, or Adam, or Gilgamesh, or Abraham, or Osiris -- or God. This is why we can make an assumption that all these guys are mythical. We can't make that assumption with Jesus unless we can contrast Josephus and Tacitus with similar NON-canonical texts that peg Jesus the rabbi as purely mythical. Ain't no such texts. So no responsible modern historian sees any way of jettisoning Jesus the rabbi from history without a tin foil hat.

Stein
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38731  Postby IanS » Apr 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Free wrote:
Scar wrote:
Free wrote:
Scar wrote:
My point stands. Your argument for authority is nothing but that, an argument from authority. A fallacy. Either the evidence can withstand criticism or it can't.
And I haven't said I don't agree with the historians.

Just let me educate you here, myther.

As mentioned earlier, all consensus' of professionals can indeed be wrong. Since I admitted that, then I am not arguing that because the consensus is in agreement, they absolutely must be correct.

Argument from authority, also authoritative argument and appeal to authority, is a common form of argument which leads to a logical fallacy when misused. When misused, It becomes fallacious to assert that the conclusion must be true.

However, it is a fallacious ad hominem argument to argue that a person (or consensus) presenting statements lacks authority and thus their arguments do not need to be considered.

More on Argument from Authority ...

In respect to a consensus, it is far more than just a singular authority, as it actually represents a Collective of Intelligence.

Collective intelligence is shared or group intelligence that emerges from the collaboration, collective efforts, and competition of many individuals and appears in consensus decision making.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_intelligence

Now you know ...

And you're still ignoring my explanation on why mindlessly accepting every conensus is stupid. Stop the strawmanning, please.

Since you are ignoring the fact that I explicitly said that any and all consensus' from any academic community can indeed be wrong, then you are intentionally misrepresenting my position. Now, here is the definition of a stawman:

"A straw man is a common reference argument and is an informal fallacy based on false representation of an opponent's argument."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

So, guess who is doing the strawmanning here? It certainly isn't me! :lol:

Well the field of biblical studies is not remotely comparable with research science. Science can "prove" far beyond even grossly unreasonable doubt or any claims to the contrary, all of it's many millions of discoveries and all of it's "Theories", such as the Theory of Evolution, Relativity Theory, "Quantum Theory" and all other such scientific "Theories".

But that is not remotely the case for the claims of Christian bible scholars & theologians who believe in Jesus on the basis of what they claim is "evidence" in the bible.

In fact there is actually zero evidence of Jesus in the bible, and that is actually a literal "fact". What bible scholars and theologians are claiming as their "evidence" from the bible, is in fact only evidence of peoples 1st-4th century religious messiah beliefs. It's evidence of a belief in Jesus ... not actually any evidence of Jesus himself being known to anyone at all who ever wrote to make any such claim of ever knowing Jesus.

In a court of law (do not tell me we are not in a court, because that would be a very stupid remark), what is being called "evidence" from the bible, and indeed from all non-Christian sources such as Tacitus and Josephus, would be called "Hearsay Evidence", meaning the witness (in this case the biblical writers and/or Tacitus and Josephus etc.) were only presenting evidence of what they had heard from other unknown people ... it's only evidence of the writers claiming to have once heard such stories from other unnamed "witnesses" none of whom can be named, none of whom can be traced, and none of whom ever wrote to confirm they ever made any claims at all about Jesus.

In a court of law with a jury trial, hearsay evidence is rarely if ever admissible before the jury, because centuries of legal experience has taught the law-makers that hearsay evidence is highly likely to seriously mislead a jury into an entirely mistaken conclusion/verdict.

In addition, totally anonymous un-evidenced hearsay from claimed witnesses who can never even be produced before the court, which is actually the situation with the biblical writing, is NEVER allowed even to be heard or considered by any Jury. Because such "testimony" (it is not actually "evidence" - in a court what is called "evidence" is actually "testimony" put before the jury for the jury to decide whether such testimony is indeed evidence of whatever is being claimed) is far too unreliable even to be considered as any kind of evidence at all.

OK, so we are not in a court of law here. But we are trying to judge if the claimed evidence is good enough to decide whether Jesus was likely to be real or not. And the precedent carefully established by law over several centuries in almost all advanced western nations, would instantly rule that such anonymous un-evidenced hearsay from witnesses who were never even named and could never be produced to confirm that they had ever said anything at all about Jesus, would be instantly ruled totally inadmissible even to be put before any jury at all.

So what you are claiming for a HJ, is not actually "evidence" at all. It is not "evidence" of that which is being claimed, i.e. the existence of human Jesus ever known to anyone. It is grossly inadmissible hearsay testimony from unknown witnesses claiming unknown untraceable informants, none of whom can be produced to confirm a single word of it.

Against that - the scientific evidence showing that the miracles and the supernatural stories which are central to almost every mention of Jesus in the bible, are not merely admissible before any jury and/or in any comparable situation such as we are arguing here, but would of course be instantly overwhelming before any judges or Jury. In fact on that scientific evidence alone, an actual court of law with a jury, would probably rule that there was no case even to put before any jury - any claims of Jesus-evidence, would be ruled out before a trial even began!

And as if that were not enough, as I have already pointed out, a "witness" such as Randel Helms could spend a whole day before a jury showing beyond all doubt numerous examples of how, where and why the gospel writers had most certainly used the OT as a source for their Jesus stories. And that's quite apart from all the other evidence I listed back on page 1933.
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38732  Postby dejuror » Apr 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Free wrote:

Just like conclusively proving he was 100% historical, proving he was 100% mythical will never happen. History doesn't work that way.

What an absurd statement!!! You have NO idea how history is done.

What evidence proves Satan and the Angel Gabriel did not exist in the time of Pontius Pilate?

You have exposed that you have NO idea that other characters have been accepted as figures of mythology with FAR less myth/fiction.

Adam, Eve, Cain, Abel, Satan, and the Angel Gabriel in the same Christian Bible are figures of mythology/fiction.

Romulus and Remus are figures of myth/fiction in Greek/Roman mythology.

You don't even understand that there are HUNDREDS of myth/fiction characters in Jewish, Greek, Roman, Egyptian and other nations of antiquity that are similar to Jesus the Son of the Ghost and a Virgin.

In any event, your HJ is imaginative Fiction.

There is no source of antiquity, credible or not, contemporary or not, which state Jesus of Nazareth was born AFTER Mary was raped by Panthera.

Your HJ is a Myth/Fiction character fabricated from the discredited Christian Bible and your imagination.
dejuror

Print view this post

#38733  Postby IanS » Apr 28, 2015 7:00 pm

Stein wrote:
IanS wrote:And secondly I'm pretty sure that dejuror has frequently cited and reproduced quotes from early non-Christian texts that do say the Jesus stories were untrue myth.

Name them.

Well that's why I specifically said that perhaps dejuror will remind us of what he previously quoted on that point, i.e. because I did not keep a note/record of which references and quotes he actually gave for what iirc was early doubts expressed about the existence of Jesus. But to repeat, perhaps dejuror himself will tell us if he cited any such early texts doubting the existence of Jesus, because I think he has done that on several occasions (and especially iirc on JREF Int.Skep, where I think you are also posting under the name “Stone“, so you do know what dejuror has posted there).

Stein wrote:
IanS wrote: So perhaps dejuror can remind you/us of what those sources are.

But thirdly - it is totally irrelevant whether or not people in the 1st century said they believed the biblical Jesus stories to be myth.

No, it's completely relevant, because it would be evidence that Jesus was recognized as mythical at the time. It's both relevant and important because we already have Josephus and Tacitus testifying to individuals who personally knew Jesus the rabbi. So if you really want to shoot those two down, then go ahead, but then you have to show a contemporary text that avers Jesus the rabbi to be pure myth instead. You have no such text, do you? Tell me you do........ <crickets>

Now, we don't have any text testifying to individuals who personally knew Hercules, or Odysseus, or Moses, or Noah, or Jason, or Achilles, or Romulus, or Adam, or Gilgamesh, or Abraham, or Osiris -- or God. This is why we can make an assumption that all these guys are mythical. We can't make that assumption with Jesus unless we can contrast Josephus and Tacitus with similar NON-canonical texts that peg Jesus the rabbi as purely mythical. Ain't no such texts. So no responsible modern historian sees any way of jettisoning Jesus the rabbi from history without a tin foil hat.

Stein

No it's not at all relevant. We don’t need any such early non-Christian texts expressing doubts about the existence of Jesus. That's completely unnecessary, and the demand for that is a total 100% red herring. The fact of the matter is that now in the 21st century we are quite sure, as a matter of scientific “proof”, that the biblical descriptions of Jesus are most definitely untrue fiction.

Are you really so silly as to believe that all the miracles and supernatural claims that fill the biblical stories of Jesus, are anything other than scientifically established as physically impossible fiction?
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38734  Postby dejuror » Apr 28, 2015 7:06 pm

Stein wrote:

No, it's completely relevant, because it would be evidence that Jesus was recognized as mythical at the time. It's both relevant and important because we already have Josephus and Tacitus testifying to individuals who personally knew Jesus the rabbi.

Your claim is an established fallacy. The writings of Josephus and Tacitus do not identify a character called Jesus of Nazareth and does not identify a Rabbi who was worshiped as a God.

Your post are just loaded with fiction.

Jesus called the Christ in Josephus "Antiquities of the Jews 20.9.1 was ALIVE in the time of Albinus.

Tacitus' Annals with Christus is a forgery fabricated AFTER the writing of "Church History" or no earlier than the end of the 4th century.

Stein wrote:Now, we don't have any text testifying to individuals who personally knew Hercules, or Odysseus, or Moses, or Noah, or Jason, or Achilles, or Romulus, or Adam, or Gilgamesh, or Abraham, or Osiris -- or God. This is why we can make an assumption that all these guys are mythical. We can't make that assumption with Jesus unless we can contrast Josephus and Tacitus with similar NON-canonical texts that peg Jesus the rabbi as purely mythical. Ain't no such texts. So no responsible modern historian sees any way of jettisoning Jesus the rabbi from history without a tin foil hat.

Stein

Again, you post absurdities.

The very Gospel which mention Jesus as a Rabbi also stated he was GOD CREATOR, the Logos, from the beginning.

ONLY gJohn makes mention of Jesus as a Rabbi and the SAME gJohn state Jesus was GOD and that God Creator WALKED for MILES on water.

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

It is just absolutely void of logic to use the same Christian NT Bible as evidence for an HJ which was FABRICATED to ARGUE AGAINST an historical Jesus.

It is tantamount to using comic books as credible historical sources for comc characters.

The HJ argument is the very worst argument known to mankind since it is based on ADMITTED sources of fiction, mythology, forgeries and false attribution.
dejuror

Print view this post

#38735  Postby proudfootz » Apr 28, 2015 7:09 pm

IanS wrote:

Stein

And secondly I'm pretty sure that dejuror has frequently cited and reproduced quotes from early non-Christian texts that do say the Jesus stories were untrue myth. So perhaps dejuror can remind you/us of what those sources are.

But thirdly - it is totally irrelevant whether or not people in the 1st century said they believed the biblical Jesus stories to be myth. The only relevant factor is what we know now in the 21st century. And now we certainly do know that the biblical descriptions of Jesus are impossible fiction. And what's more I just listed all the evidence for you that "proves" how and why those biblical stories are fiction, and how and why the evidence all shows that the bible and the insistent claims of bible scholars, theologians and Christians over the past 2000 years are certainly untrue - see my post #38655 on page 1933 where all of that is spelt out in unarguable & factual detail.

Yes, when early christian apologists are admitting their stories are like the 'pagan' stories we dismiss as myths, that's pretty much the game right there.

Modern day apologists have learned from this and now deny their stories are like the myths, and apparently these would-be historians have adopted the same strategy - deny what was obvious to everyone in the 2nd century.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38736  Postby Free » Apr 28, 2015 7:10 pm

dejuror wrote:
Free wrote:

Just like conclusively proving he was 100% historical, proving he was 100% mythical will never happen. History doesn't work that way.

What an absurd statement!!! You have NO idea how history is done.

What evidence proves Satan and the Angel Gabriel did not exist in the time of Pontius Pilate?

You have exposed that you have NO idea that other characters have been accepted as figures of mythology with FAR less myth/fiction.

Adam, Eve, Cain, Abel, Satan, and the Angel Gabriel in the same Christian Bible are figures of mythology/fiction.

Romulus and Remus are figures of myth/fiction in Greek/Roman mythology.

You don't even understand that there are HUNDREDS of myth/fiction characters in Jewish, Greek, Roman, Egyptian and other nations of antiquity that are similar to Jesus the Son of the Ghost and a Virgin.

In any event, your HJ is imaginative Fiction.

There is no source of antiquity, credible or not, contemporary or not, which state Jesus of Nazareth was born AFTER Mary was raped by Panthera.

Your HJ is a Myth/Fiction character fabricated from the discredited Christian Bible and your imagination.

So, do you still think that Jesus, son of Damneus, was Jesus Christ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38737  Postby proudfootz » Apr 28, 2015 7:16 pm

Free wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Free wrote:
proudfootz wrote:

Yes, and while you're at it prove unicorns don't exist! :fly:

You would need collaborating evidence to conclusively demonstrate the probable existence of unicorns first.

There is no collaborating evidence to conclusively demonstrate the probable existence of Jesus.

Try again, myther.

As anyone knows who's read the arguments about these references, they only testify to the existence of christians.

The non-canonical texts are the ones that were so kooky even people who believed in a water-walking, leper-healing, zombie who flies into Heaven threw them in the trash.

Thus you're just adding to the pile of mythical material you have to deny to pretend that it's been conclusively demonstrated that Jesus probably existed.

For every cherry picked verse you cite, there's a thousand that shows you're wrong. Oops! :lol: :lol: :lol:
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38738  Postby Oldskeptic » Apr 28, 2015 7:23 pm

dejuror wrote:
dejuror wrote:

If there was a lot evidence for an historical Jesus then it would not have been necessary for you to fabricate a story that Jesus was born AFTER Mary was raped by Panthera.

Oldskeptic wrote:

Get off it already! Free didn't fabricate that story. If anyone did it was Celsus in the 2nd century as an insult to the Jesus he hated, or it could have been some Jews who Celsus said told him the story. Celsus was an enemy of Christianity but believed that Jesus had been an actual man enough to insult him and accuse him of his miracles having been by sorcery or deception.

Are you not the same poster who accused people here of dishonesty?

Among others.

May I remind you that Celsus in "Against Celsus" did not claim that Jesus was born AFTER Mary was RAPED by Panthera.

May I remind you of what Origen wrote in Contra Celsus:

Origen Contra Celsus book 1:

CHAP. XXXII.

But let us now return to where the Jew is introduced, speaking of the mother of Jesus, and saying that "when she was pregnant she was turned out of doors by the carpenter to whom she had been betrothed, as having been guilty of adultery, and that she bore a child to a certain soldier named Panthera;"

CHAP. XXXIII.

Now if a particular soul, for certain mysterious reasons, is not deserving of being placed in the body of a wholly irrational being, nor yet in that of one purely rational, but is clothed with a monstrous body, so that reason cannot discharge its functions in one so fashioned, which has the head disproportioned to the other parts, and altogether too short; and another receives such a body that the soul is a little more rational than the other; and another still more so, the nature of the body counteracting to a greater or less degree the reception of the reasoning principle; why should there not be also some soul which receives an altogether miraculous body, possessing some qualities common to those of other men, so that it may be able to pass through life with them, but possessing also some quality of superiority, so that the soul may be able to remain untainted by sin? And if there be any truth in the doctrine of the physiognomists, whether Zopyrus, or Loxus, or Polemon, or any other who wrote on such a subject, and who profess to know in some wonderful way that all bodies are adapted to the habits of the souls, must there have been for that soul which was to dwell with miraculous power among men, and work mighty deeds, a body produced, as Celsus thinks, by an act of adultery between Panthera and the Virgin?! Why, from such unhallowed intercourse there must rather have been brought forth some fool to do injury to mankind,--a teacher of licentiousness and wickedness, and other evils; and not of temperance, and righteousness, and the other virtues!

CHAP. LXIX.

After this, Celsus, confusing together the Christian doctrine and the opinions of some heretical sect, and bringing them forward as charges that were applicable to all who believe in the divine word, says: "Such a body as yours could not have belonged to God." Now, in answer to this, we have to say that Jesus, on entering into the world, assumed, as one born of a woman, a human body, and one which was capable of suffering a natural death. For which reason, in addition to others, we say that He was also a great wrestler; having, on account of His human body, been tempted in all respects like other men, but no longer as men, with sin as a consequence, but being altogether without sin. For it is distinctly clear to us that "He did no sin, neither was guile found in His mouth; and as one who knew no sin," God delivered Him up as pure for all who had sinned. Then Celsus says: "The body of god would not have been so generated as you, O Jesus, were." He saw, besides, that if, as it is written, it had been born, His body somehow might be even more divine than that of the multitude, and in a certain sense a body of god. But he disbelieves the accounts of His conception by the Holy Ghost,and believes that He was begotten by one Panthera, who corrupted the Virgin, "because a god's body would not have been so generated as you were." But we have spoken of these matters at greater length in the preceding pages.

Of course you can go ahead and argue over the words "rape" and adaultry if you like, but the main point I was making was that Free didn't invent the story. Something you avoided addressing entirely.

Please, just go and get familiar with writings of antiquity instead of repeating the "Free" fiction story.

More dishonesty. I didn't repeat the story, I showed you where it came from.

You seem to have quickly forgotten that you have ALREADY admitted that you DON'T know and DON'T care if Jesus existed.

And if you were paying attention instead of looking for ways to score points you would have noticed that I was doing exactly what I said I have been doing: Correcting your mistakes.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#38739  Postby Free » Apr 28, 2015 7:32 pm

proudfootz wrote:
Free wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Free wrote:

Try again, myther.

As anyone knows who's read the arguments about these references, they only testify to the existence of christians.

So, I guess they don't mention Pontius Pilate, Caesar Augustus, Christ, Herod Agrippa, Paul, John the Baptist, etc?

Uh-huh.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The non-canonical texts are the ones that were so kooky even people who believed in a water-walking, leper-healing, zombie who flies into Heaven threw them in the trash.

Really? Can you demonstrate this with evidence, or is this just more myther bluster and useless diatribe?

Cheap entertainment?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38740  Postby Stein » Apr 28, 2015 7:40 pm

IanS wrote:
Stein wrote:
IanS wrote:

Stein

No it's not at all relevant. We don’t need any such early non-Christian texts expressing doubts about the existence of Jesus. That's completely unnecessary, and the demand for that is a total 100% red herring. The fact of the matter is that now in the 21st century we are quite sure, as a matter of scientific “proof”, that the biblical descriptions of Jesus are most definitely untrue fiction.

Are you really so silly as to believe that all the miracles and supernatural claims that fill the biblical stories of Jesus, are anything other than scientifically established as physically impossible fiction?

You know fucking well that's a straw man. Joseph's' Antiqs. 20 does NOT reference any of that woo, nor does Tacitus's Annals 15. You also know fucking well from the post I just referenced on page 1735 (http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post1 ... s#p1864721) that I restrict myself entirely to a highly restricted and consistent set of textual strata, whose consistent textual markers coincidentally (?!) mesh with coordinates around an entirely human rabbi, whose countercultural ideas simply got him nailed, period.

Once and for all, we are not talking here about "biblical descriptions". We are talking about Antiqs. 20 and Annals 15. And Antiqs. 20 and Annals 15 are a damn sight different from ANYTHING we have for Hercules, or Odysseus, or Moses, or Noah, or Jason, or Achilles, or Romulus, or Adam, or Gilgamesh, or Abraham, or Osiris -- or God.

And now, enough red herrings. The truth is you cannot come up with any texts contemporary to Antiqs. 20 and Annals 15 that contrast with those two. So you're pedaling furiously trying to get away from giving the answer to my question: The answer is, there are NO non-canonicals referencing Jesus the rabbi as mythical. Aw, poor baby.

Cry me a river.

Stein
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity