Historical Jesus

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Historical Jesus

#40401  Postby Owdhat » Jul 02, 2015 12:41 am

proudfootz wrote:
MS2 wrote:
proudfootz wrote:Odd to see so many leaping aboard the bandwagon that's going nowhere.

'Jesus is special because I wish it were so' is a pretty succinct argument, though.

Who said Jesus is special? Who said they wished it were so? Where is this bandwagon?

FFS!

Owdhat said:

"...of all these other billions of religions none of them ever had at their heart a mundane backwoods preacher who was so ineffective he managed to get executed..."

WTF do you think that's supposed to mean?

Jesus is special because the religion that worships him is unique to the billions of religions.

I pointed this out already here:

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post2 ... t#p2255258

After I showed how Owdhat's argument is nonsensical self-refuting shit two posters thumb-upped it. :crazy:

There's your 'bandwagon'.

Glad I could explain things for you.

You're welcome! :cheers:

What it's supposed to mean is multiple early texts attest to a person who was quite ordinary but which persons unknown have gone to extraordinary lengths to make 'extra' ordinary.
Owdhat

Name: jb

England (eng)
Print view this post

#40402  Postby proudfootz » Jul 02, 2015 12:44 am

MS2 wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
MS2 wrote:
proudfootz wrote:Odd to see so many leaping aboard the bandwagon that's going nowhere.

'Jesus is special because I wish it were so' is a pretty succinct argument, though.

Who said Jesus is special? Who said they wished it were so? Where is this bandwagon?

FFS!

Owdhat said:

"...of all these other billions of religions none of them ever had at their heart a mundane backwoods preacher who was so ineffective he managed to get executed..."

With regard to Jesus, it means he was 'a mundane backwoods preacher'. If you look up those words, you'll find at least one of them means the opposite of special.

Jesus is special because the religion that worships him is unique to the billions of religions.

Well that's what you say, but it's certainly not what Owdhat said, and I'm pretty sure neither he or I are jumping on any bandwagon of yours.

After I showed how Owdhat's argument is nonsensical self-refuting shit two posters thumb-upped it. :crazy:

No you didn't. Owdhat's point stands and I and others expressed their agreement.

No it isn't.

Your condescension does you no favours. You claimed someone here said Jesus was special. And that they 'wished it were so'. You've utterly failed to back that up.

Owdhat was claiming the christian cults were 'special' out of billions of religions. There's no way around that. Now which figure is particular to christianity? Is it , maybe... Jesus?

Moreover, he makes the claim that early christians worshiped some 'backwoods preacher' - which would be a huge surprise to Paul or the authors of the gospels. They never mention such a dude.

Owdhat was unable to back that up. Just some wishful speculation that the god the christians had at the heart of their religion was like the figure invented by 18th century theologians.

As I pointed out - both parts of Owdhat's 'argument' contradict one another. It doesn't stand.

Christianity has at its heart a failed preacher. Nope.

Or Christianity might have been based on legends about a real person - well then, it's not unique among billions of religions.

:doh:
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40403  Postby proudfootz » Jul 02, 2015 12:51 am

Owdhat wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
MS2 wrote:

FFS!

Owdhat said:

What it's supposed to mean is multiple early texts attest to a person who was quite ordinary but which persons unknown have gone to extraordinary lengths to make 'extra' ordinary.

So these texts which supposedly depict an ordinary person - they're not really the 'heart of christianity' are they? Not like the epistles, or the gospel tales, or other things where christians go on about the 'heart' of their beliefs?
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40404  Postby Owdhat » Jul 02, 2015 1:00 am

proudfootz wrote:[
Owdhat was claiming the christian cults were 'special' out of billions of religions. There's no way around that. Now which figure is particular to christianity? Is it , maybe... Jesus?

I have?
I thought I said that a backwoods preacher became special to his followers . I doubt any one else was interested until Paul started on his marketing campaign.
Owdhat

England (eng)
Print view this post

#40405  Postby proudfootz » Jul 02, 2015 1:10 am

Owdhat wrote:

I have?
I thought I said that a backwoods preacher became special to his followers . I doubt any one else was interested until Paul started on his marketing campaign.

My mistake, then.

I thought "of all these other billions of religions none of them ever had at their heart a mundane backwoods preacher" was supposed to mean something.

So you weren't trying to compare christian cults to other religions (billions of them), and weren't saying there was anything unique about christian cults (even though none of these billions had this alleged feature), and not claiming a backwoods preacher was believed in by them (although somehow you typed instead such a figure was at the heart of the cults).

Good to know! :cheers:
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40406  Postby Owdhat » Jul 02, 2015 1:11 am

So these texts which supposedly depict an ordinary person - they're not really the 'heart of christianity' are they? Not like the epistles, or the gospel tales, or other things where christians go on about the 'heart' of their beliefs?

Their all mixed up. As far as I understand, you have to take an unbiased view to be able to say which bits are embellishments and which bits refer to actual events.
Owdhat

England (eng)
Print view this post

#40407  Postby Owdhat » Jul 02, 2015 1:15 am

proudfootz wrote:
Owdhat wrote:

I have?

My mistake, then.

I thought "of all these other billions of religions none of them ever had at their heart a mundane backwoods preacher" was supposed to mean something.

So you weren't trying to compare christian cults to other religions (billions of them), and weren't saying there was anything unique about christian cults (even though none of these billions had this alleged feature), and not claiming a backwoods preacher was believed in by them (although somehow you typed instead such a figure was at the heart of the cults).

Kudos: You are working hard to misunderstand me. I must give credit where credits due.
Owdhat

England (eng)
Print view this post

#40408  Postby proudfootz » Jul 02, 2015 2:16 am

Owdhat wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Owdhat wrote:

I have?

My mistake, then.

Kudos: You are working hard to misunderstand me. I must give credit where credits due.

I tried to understand the plain English, but apparently that was the wrong tack.

Now that you've explained that I was wrong I must withdraw my objections.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40409  Postby RealityRules » Jul 02, 2015 2:55 am

Owdhat wrote:What it's supposed to mean is multiple early texts attest to a person who was quite ordinary but which persons unknown have gone to extraordinary lengths to make 'extra' ordinary.

What texts?
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#40410  Postby Stein » Jul 02, 2015 4:24 am

Owdhat wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Owdhat wrote:

I have?

My mistake, then.

Deliberate distortion of anything that HJ'ers say is the stock and trade of many a myther, Owdhat. They're not here to analyze and discuss history. They're here to score points for their myther cult, period.

You know, either Mark Twain or Greg King once said "Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Stein
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40411  Postby Leucius Charinus » Jul 02, 2015 4:36 am

Ducktown wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote:
Owdhat wrote:The legend turned into a divine being. and that got worshiped, simples, no sub lunar soup or the devious text control Agent Eusebius of the great Constantine syndicate necessary.

"Dear King Agbar, Sorry you are feeling sick, and I cant make it right away. I'm booked for ascension.
I'll send one of the apostles over soon to heal you. Thanks for Believing in Me when you haven't
even seen me! That's a really admirable quality! I wish there were more people like that, Jesus."

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Catholic ... edia_(1913)/Legend_of_Abgar

'Happy art thou who hast believed in Me, not having seen me, for it is written of me that those who shall see me shall not believe in Me, and that those who shall not see Me shall believe in Me. As to that which thou hast written, that I should come to thee, (behold) all that for which I was sent here below is finished, and I ascend again to My Father who sent Me, and when I shall have ascended to Him I will send thee one of My disciples, who shall heal all thy sufferings, and shall give (thee) health again, and shall convert all who are with thee unto life eternal. And thy city shall be blessed forever, and the enemy shall never overcome it.'"

According to Eusebius, it was not Hannan who wrote answer, but Our Lord Himself.

You go Eusebius! The "historicists" here are clearly in denial about such things.

In Eusebius, the "Editor-In-Chief" of the very first authoritative NT Bibles, and the author of the only version of any history of the nation of Christians before the Christian Revolution of the 4th century, the "historicists" must trust. They have no other sources of evidence. This is a problem. Eusebius forged evidence that he then used in his "history".

When the forged documents of the church organisation are understood as forged documents of the earliest political church industry, then a fictional Jesus makes far better sense of all the evidence than an historical Jesus.
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. "

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

#40412  Postby IanS » Jul 02, 2015 8:20 am

MS2 wrote:
IanS wrote:
MS2 wrote:
IanS wrote:

No. It is THE question.

Weird. How do you know it is THE question? Was there a memo I didn't get?

Yes, actually it does seem there is a message, an explanation, that you are definitely not getting!

Perhaps you'd better go open a new thread where you can promote your message then. Because this thread is and always has been one where people can argue whatever points they wish about and relevant to 'Historical Jesus'.

I'm not "promoting any message", except to say that we now know from modern science (since about 1800-1850), and from all modern democratic legal processes (since about 1850-1900), that the only credible reliable way to judge any situation is on the basis of genuine evidence of that which is being claimed.

That does NOT mean evidence of something other than that which is being claimed. It means evidence which actually supports the claim.

In the case of the bible being presented as evidence of Jesus - the only evidence in the biblical writing, is actually evidence of the writers religious beliefs in a figure that the writers had never known. That is evidence of religious belief. It's not actually evidence of Jesus! Is it!? Answer - no it most definitely is NOT!

MS2 wrote:
What counts in any logical honest 21st century educated discussion, is what genuine evidence exists to support the claim that is being made. And the claim which you, Owdhat and all other HJ people are making, is that it's logical and sensible for you to believe that Jesus was probably a real person.

I can't speak for Owdhat, but that isn't the claim I make in this thread. I've told you this before. The claim I make is that of the various possible explanations for the surviving evidence from the period, the best one appears to me to include a man called Jesus who did some preaching, gathered a few followers and got crucified.

That is exactly what I just said to you - you believe that Jesus was more likely to be real than not, correct? And afaik, you are saying that the evidence suggests that to you, yes?

And what I said to you is that what you are calling your evidence, is actually only evidence of 1st century religious faith from people who produced no actual evidence of knowing Jesus at all. What they wrote, i.e. your evidence, was a book of UN-evidenced religious faith. And that is your evidence, religious faith!

MS2 wrote:
I've told you repeatedly that this does NOT equate to a claim that that surviving evidence makes the sort of case that would deliver a guilty verdict in court.

I did not mention any guilty verdict in court! What I said was that you, Owdhat and all HJ people here, say you believe that Jesus was more likely real than not, right? And you claim that there is good evidence to support your belief, right? Well I have just explained above , and at least 50 times before in great detail, why you do not in fact have any such evidence of Jesus. What you have is only un-evidenced statements of religious faith from 1st century (or more likely 4th century) biblical writers!

Or alternatively - if you want to say that you are not basing your HJ belief on evidence, then frankly that sinks your case altogether.

MS2 wrote:
IOW - what you and Owdhat are trying to say is that you believe in Jesus by putting your trust in the religious faith beliefs of the biblical writers ... biblical writers whose only "evidence" was their religious faith in a figure entirely unknown to any of them! You are trusting to 1st century religious faith (and that was actually faith in the constantly supernatural).

You've been told repeatly that equating what I think about a simple historical question to religious belief is bollocks. Your insistence on repeating it only looks like propaganda on your part.

Well that is just an angry flailing-about piece of desperation from you, in which you give no content whatsoever. What I think about your response to your "simple historical question", is exactly what I have just told you above 3 times! What I think you are saying, because you have said it countless times, is that you believe there is good evidence to persuade you that Jesus was most probably a real person. And I have just explained to you 50 times or more why your evidence is NOT evidence of Jesus at all, but only in fact evidence of un-evidenced 1st century religious faith.

MS2 wrote:
If you are going to express positive belief in something, then you can only reasonably do that on the basis of genuine reliable evidence of that which is being claimed. Otherwise what you are actually doing expressing a faith belief.

There you go with the bollocks again. I think HJ is part of the best explanation of the evidence that has survived. That is what good history does. It looks for best explanations of evidence from the past. If I thought that there was a better explanation without HJ but continued to believe in HJ anyway, then you would have a point. BUT I DON'T THINK THAT, SO YOU DON'T HAVE A POINT.

Exactly - so you do think as I have repeatedly said "I think HJ is part of the best explanation of the evidence that has survived." . But the evidence which has survived in the biblical writing, is most definitely only evidence of the writers un-evidenced religious beliefs in the past legends of a figure who none of those biblical writers had ever known. That is a fact isn't it? If you say that is not a fact and that instead the biblical writing does contain evidence of Jesus rather than just evidence of the writers beliefs in Jesus, then please quote from the bible any actual evidence of Jesus known to any single person who ever wrote anything at all about Jesus ... just quote the actual evidence of Jesus known to any of those writers. Do not quote un-evidenced statements of gospel writers beliefs ... quote where the gospel actually produces evidence of Jesus ever known to anyone.

IOW - to put it all even more simply it’s no use you repeatedly shouting “bollocks” and throwing your toys out of the pram. The fact is that you think the bible does contain actual evidence of Jesus, sufficient for you to believe he was more likely than not a real person. But in fact the bible contains absolutely no such evidence of Jesus. What it contains as evidence is only evidence of peoples 1st century beliefs in a legendary messiah of the past who none of them had ever known.

And (repeat) that is evidence only of the writers religious beliefs (in fact their beliefs in the multiply supernatural). It is not evidence of a Jesus figure known either to any of those biblical writers, or to anyone ever named by any of those biblical writers (nobody ever named in the bible ever wrote to confirm any such knowledge of meeting Jesus).
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40413  Postby proudfootz » Jul 02, 2015 9:41 am

Stein wrote:
Owdhat wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
Owdhat wrote:
I have?

My mistake, then.

Deliberate distortion of anything that HJ'ers say is the stock and trade of many a myther, Owdhat. They're not here to analyze and discuss history. They're here to score points for their myther cult, period.

You know, either Mark Twain or Greg King once said "Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Stein

I didn't distort the meaning - I simply read the sentence as a native speaker of the English language.

Owdhat tells me he meant the opposite of what it appeared to me was meant. I'm okay with that.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40414  Postby IanS » Jul 02, 2015 1:14 pm

Owdhat wrote:
proudfootz wrote:
MS2 wrote:

FFS!

Owdhat said:

"Multiple early texts" described Jesus as an ordinary non-supernatural messiah?? Really?? Well that is VERY interesting ...

.... so which early texts would those be?

Owdhat wrote:

Their all mixed up. As far as I understand, you have to take an unbiased view to be able to say which bits are embellishments and which bits refer to actual events.

What texts are "all mixed up"?

Are you trying to claim that the gospels and letters which comprise the bible, are known to have pieced together from texts which originally described Jesus only as an ordinary non-miraculous person, and that evidence shows that these simple original stories were later altered to add all the untrue miraculous and supernatural stuff??

Can you please quote here any such text that pre-dates the miraculous supernatural stories of the gospels, and says instead that Jesus was first known to people (known to who?) as a perfectly normal preacher of the early 1st century?
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40415  Postby Owdhat » Jul 02, 2015 3:41 pm

The author of Mark tends to show just that

You should stop referring to these texts as the bible, that is misleading, they were totally separate works at the time we are talking about albeit some show signs of having copied parts from others. To allude to one book makes it appear a much simpler business to fictionalised, manipulate or whatever than it actually would have been and I'm sure you wouldn't want that.
Owdhat

England (eng)
Print view this post

#40416  Postby MS2 » Jul 02, 2015 3:43 pm

IanS wrote: ...

You seem to have missed this question: http://www.rationalskepticism.org/chris ... l#p2255721
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40417  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Owdhat wrote:The author of Mark tends to show just that

You should stop referring to these texts as the bible, that is misleading, they were totally separate works at the time we are talking about albeit some show signs of having copied parts from others. To allude to one book makes it appear a much simpler business to fictionalised, manipulate or whatever than it actually would have been and I'm sure you wouldn't want that.

Who is the author of mark?
Is it not part of the fairy stories? It is a work of fiction so how can it be fictionalised and it has also been very heavily manipulated?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#40418  Postby IanS » Jul 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Owdhat wrote: The author of Mark tends to show just that

So you are telling me that an earliest "short" g-Mark had none of the miracle claims that fill all the other gospels? Seriously?

I doubt that is true at all.

But we definitely need to clear that up, so - did even the "short" version of g-Mark have Jesus performing all sorts of miracles, or not?
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40419  Postby IanS » Jul 02, 2015 6:35 pm

MS2 wrote:
IanS wrote: ...

You seem to have missed this question: http://www.rationalskepticism.org/chris ... l#p2255721

MS2 wrote:@IanS
Let's say a historian found some 2000 year old scrolls in which the priests of a religion talked about their god living in the nearby mountain and breathing fire and smoke. Then the historian said he thought the best explanation was the mountain was an active volcano 2000 years ago. Would you accuse him of 'having faith' because he was relying on evidence from religious believers?

Well iirc, the above is not a valid analogy with what you have been saying.

In your above analogy the "historian" (in the case of these HJ discussions you are actually talking about biblical scholars, in fact talking overwhelmingly about Christian religious bible scholars afaik), is not claiming the god really did live in the mountains. And you are also assuming that it is an evidential fact that the said mountain exists and that it was in fact an active volcano at the time in question. If that were true then it would be some sort of credible physical evidence at least of the fire and smoke appearing at the relavent time.

But your belief in Jesus is based on you believing what certain selected parts of the bible say about Jesus, even though none of the authors who wrote those certain selected tales of Jesus had ever known any such person as Jesus, and even though they gave no indication of who had told them any such stories of Jesus. Except of course we now know that all the gospel authors were obtaining Jesus stories by so-called "fulfilment citation" from all sorts of vague prophecies and passages in their ancient OT.

More generally - analogies of the kind that you are now proposing are fraught with danger and likely to be very seriously misleading. Instead of making erroneous analogies, just stick to the actual evidence please.
IanS

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40420  Postby iskander » Jul 02, 2015 7:13 pm

In Mark 8:11, Jesus is seen by the opposition as a pretty ordinary guy. Jesus responds to the request for a sign as an ordinary guy would be forced to do.
The Gospel was " manipulated" , but this is could be accepted as being the cause of the legend .

The Demand for a Sign. Mark 8;11-13
11 The Pharisees came and began to argue with him, asking him for a sign from heaven, to test him. 12And he sighed deeply in his spirit and said, “Why does this generation ask for a sign? Truly I tell you, no sign will be given to this generation.” 13And he left them, and getting into the boat again, he went across to the other side.
iskander

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity