How many Christians are here in this “Christianity” forum?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: How many Christians are here in this “Christianity” forum?

#161  Postby archibald » Dec 19, 2014 10:35 am

John Platko wrote:

While It's true that I, a Christian, don't accept that death is the end, it's because the facts inform me so. For example, even though both my parents are dead, I see many aspects of their spirit, the good and the bad, live on in myself, my sister, and their grandchildren. The idea that death is the end is a wrong idea that is easily demonstrated to be wrong.

Yesterday, I swatted a fly. It's death was not the end. Its spirit lives on.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#162  Postby Cody » Dec 19, 2014 1:41 pm

@Agrippina. Your choice was made by default because none of the other choices made sense to you. You could have ignored the anomalies of the other options and become a Christian but that was not in your nature. I suspect that many people do just that--hedging their bets, just in case---
My journey to a decision was also by default.
Cody

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#163  Postby Cody » Dec 19, 2014 1:49 pm

archibald wrote:
John Platko wrote:

While It's true that I, a Christian, don't accept that death is the end, it's because the facts inform me so. For example, even though both my parents are dead, I see many aspects of their spirit, the good and the bad, live on in myself, my sister, and their grandchildren. The idea that death is the end is a wrong idea that is easily demonstrated to be wrong.

The two instances of life after death which you mention are totally different from each other: the former is not life after death at all. It is just the passing on of genes to the next generation. Spirit need not be involved in the process so that one doesn't count. The latter is a statement of your opinion only. You cannot state categorically that the fly lived on.
Cody

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#164  Postby archibald » Dec 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Cody wrote:The latter is a statement of your opinion only. You cannot state categorically that the fly lived on.

I felt its spirit.
Last edited by archibald on Dec 19, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#165  Postby Agrippina » Dec 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Cody wrote:@Agrippina. Your choice was made by default because none of the other choices made sense to you. You could have ignored the anomalies of the other options and become a Christian but that was not in your nature. I suspect that many people do just that--hedging their bets, just in case---
My journey to a decision was also by default.

Oh please, I didn't say "oh well, this sounds like a load of nonsense, I'll just go with the default position." I didn't "choose" to stop going to church, I went to church because I was expected to. I lied about religion on application forms because saying I had no religion would've got some authorities poking their noses into my business. I daydreamed through funerals, and weddings, and even went to Christmas Mass with friends and family because it was the social thing to do. then one day someone asked if I'd been "baptised" I didn't know what the hell the significance was so I said no, then I got hauled over the coals because I'd been munching on the biscuits and wine without having paid the water-torture fee. What the hell, someone's handing out free food, thanks I'll have some of that. Then someone started telling me off because I hadn't sent my kids to Sunday school or didn't have them baptised, bar mitzvahed or whatever, and I came out of the closet "I don't believe in all that crap so why should I carry on pretending." So now I don't go to funerals unless it's a really, really close family member and then I don't get invited because they think I'm bringing the devil with me. I don't do the church part of a wedding unless it's outside, haven't entered a church except to take photos since the 1980s. So no, there was no choice involved it was a gradual process of "forget this crap, I'm not doing it anymore and I don't care what other people say."

See no default position, no choice. I'm sure there are millions of people who hang around in church rolling their eyes, filing their nails, singing "lalalalalalalala" and eating the biscuits and drinking the wine while thinking about what the hell to make for lunch when this rubbish is over. If there was a choice it was to tell everyone who was pressuring me into going with them to bullshit ceremonies that I wasn't doing it anymore, and lump it, or leave me.
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#166  Postby John Platko » Dec 19, 2014 3:27 pm

archibald wrote:
John Platko wrote:

In this thread ...

And a bit of you too ..
Last edited by John Platko on Dec 19, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#167  Postby archibald » Dec 19, 2014 5:17 pm

(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#168  Postby John Platko » Dec 19, 2014 5:35 pm

archibald wrote:
Cody wrote:The latter is a statement of your opinion only. You cannot state categorically that the fly lived on.

I felt its spirit.

That's what I thought too. It seemed to me that the spirit of annoyness that the fly possessed which provoked you to kill it was passed on to you and provoked you to annoy me. But perhaps I am in error, perhaps you already possessed the required spirit for your post. Never-the-less, I feel the spirit of the fly is with us.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#169  Postby John Platko » Dec 19, 2014 5:41 pm

Cody wrote:
archibald wrote:
John Platko wrote:

The two instances of life after death which you mention are totally different from each other: the former is not life after death at all. It is just the passing on of genes to the next generation. Spirit need not be involved in the process so that one doesn't count. The latter is a statement of your opinion only. You cannot state categorically that the fly lived on.

And yet some essence of the fly is living on and in some way contributing to this thread - as miraculous as that seems.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#170  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 19, 2014 5:56 pm

John Platko wrote:
archibald wrote:

I felt its spirit.

That's what I thought too. It seemed to me that the spirit of annoyness that the fly possessed which provoked you to kill it was passed on to you and provoked you to annoy me. But perhaps I am in error, perhaps you already possessed the required spirit for your post. Never-the-less, I feel the spirit of the fly is with us.

So what happens to the spirit of the fly once everyone's forgotten it? Sure, it's been immortalized on the internet so that means it'll live on forever, but what about the spirits of all those flies that died in the middle ages? Surely there's nobody left to sing their song.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#171  Postby John Platko » Dec 19, 2014 6:50 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
John Platko wrote:
archibald wrote:

I felt its spirit.

So what happens to the spirit of the fly once everyone's forgotten it? Sure, it's been immortalized on the internet so that means it'll live on forever, but what about the spirits of all those flies that died in the middle ages? Surely there's nobody left to sing their song.

Perhaps their song sings on in us all, unattributed, in ways that I shudder to imagine.

Or perhaps their song is alive and well here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/sapna/what-its- ... .qt8QDd3ay :dunno:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#172  Postby archibald » Dec 19, 2014 10:05 pm

What about the spirits of flys yet to be born? Sometimes I feel those too.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#173  Postby John Platko » Dec 19, 2014 10:37 pm

archibald wrote:What about the spirits of flys yet to be born? Sometimes I feel those too.

Oh myyyyyyyyy

:yuk: :ill: :puke: :puke2: :jawdrop: :holysheep:

Perhaps this will help with that (not for the weak stomached :nono: ):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Iw0-7EMUo
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#174  Postby archibald » Dec 19, 2014 10:43 pm

For some reason, that made me feel quite peckish.
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#175  Postby John Platko » Dec 19, 2014 11:27 pm

archibald wrote:For some reason, that made me feel quite peckish.

bon appetit! :cheers:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#176  Postby trubble76 » Dec 24, 2014 1:21 pm

John Platko wrote:
Cody wrote:
archibald wrote:
John Platko wrote:

And yet some essence of the fly is living on and in some way contributing to this thread - as miraculous as that seems.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the original fly in the story actually turned out to be just a fabrication, based on something plausible, but altered, edited, augmented and exaggerated with each retelling until it appears to be miraculous to some? The truth would be lost to the desires of humans that think honestly held beliefs are truths. After hundreds of generations, the ordinary and mundane can appear to be divine and miraculous, and millions are fooled.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity