How Old was the Virgin Mary when Jesus was Born

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

How Old was the Virgin Mary when Jesus was Born

#1  Postby Alan B » Jan 20, 2013 11:32 am

Some say 10 to 12, others 14, or thereabouts. As was the betrothal custom in those days.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_%28mother_of_Jesus%29
She married Joseph and accompanied him to Bethlehem, where Jesus was born.[5] In keeping with Jewish custom, the betrothal would have taken place when she was around 12, and the birth of Jesus about a year later.

So why do the paintings and carvings of her 'likeness' represent her as a mature woman and not as a child.

Do the worshippers of the VM realise that the image they see and the statue or carving they touch is supposed to be of a 12 year-old girl?

Just thought I would post this - nuthin' else to do...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: How Old was the Virgin Mary when Jesus was Born

#2  Postby Clive Durdle » Jan 20, 2013 11:47 am

They look older because they are a direct nick of a goddess - can't remember which one (and umm there is a thread somewhere that...!)
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Alan B » Jan 20, 2013 11:58 am

Are you suggesting that there is a pagan influence in all of this... :pray: :pray: :pray:

:lol:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 20, 2013 12:02 pm

Do not make the mistake of applying contemporary morals to yesteryear. As a rule of thumb now, the further back one goes in human history, the greater the inhumanity. So while it would be unacceptable for a woman to be expected to give birth
at that age now, two thousand years ago was a whole different time. It is rather interesting to look to Islam in this respect also. I do not know how old Mary was in the Koran when she gave birth to Jesus - although he is referenced as speaking in tongues on point of birth - but a girl became a woman after her first period now. This little known fact is something that Islamophobes forget to mention when referencing Mohammad as a paedophile. Nowadays it would be absolutely wrong for one to impregnate a child but as I said one should not apply contemporary morals to yesteryear, for they are not absolute
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » Jan 20, 2013 12:15 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Do not make the mistake of applying contemporary morals to yesteryear. As a rule of thumb now, the further back one goes in human history, the greater the inhumanity. So while it would be unacceptable for a woman to be expected to give birth at that age now, two thousand years ago was a whole different time. It is rather interesting to look to Islam in this respect also. I do not know how old Mary was in the Koran when she gave birth to Jesus - although he is referenced as speaking in tongues on point of birth - but a girl became a woman after her first period now. This little known fact is something that Islamophobes forget to mention when referencing Mohammad as a paedophile. Nowadays it would be absolutely wrong for one to impregnate a child but as I said one should not apply contemporary morals to yesteryear, for they are not absolute

I agree. But the question was why do modern representations ignore this and are modern worshippers aware?
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Alan B wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Do not make the mistake of applying contemporary morals to yesteryear. As a rule of thumb now, the further back one goes in human history, the greater the inhumanity. So while it would be unacceptable for a woman to be expected to give birth at that age now, two thousand years ago was a whole different time. It is rather interesting to look to Islam in this respect also. I do not know how old Mary was in the Koran when she gave birth to Jesus - although he is referenced as speaking in tongues on point of birth - but a girl became a woman after her first period now. This little known fact is something that Islamophobes forget to mention when referencing Mohammad as a paedophile. Nowadays it would be absolutely wrong for one to impregnate a child but as I said one should not apply contemporary morals to yesteryear, for they are not absolute

I agree. But the question was why do modern representations ignore this and are modern worshippers aware ?

Historical revisionism / political correctness, to the first and no, to the second
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#7  Postby Nostalgia » Jan 20, 2013 12:52 pm

I disagree that we shouldn't apply or modern morals to ancient Christianity. These are the words and deeds of a supposedly eternal and all knowing being. Morals don't change for such a lifeform.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#8  Postby chairman bill » Jan 20, 2013 1:13 pm

How many times do we have theists of one stripe or another, telling us that without their magic man there would be no morals? How many times are we told that morality is objective, determined once & for all by God, and not subject to the changing whims of us mere mortals? So how did this God get it all so wrong?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby ramseyoptom » Jan 20, 2013 1:28 pm

chairman bill wrote:How many times do we have theists of one stripe or another, telling us that without their magic man there would be no morals? How many times are we told that morality is objective, determined once & for all by God, and not subject to the changing whims of us mere mortals? So how did this God get it all so wrong?

Ah God used the morals of the time she/he was speaking to, after all being omnipotent he/she knew that she/he had to use to KISS principle otherwise the message would not have been received. Unfortunately not being as omnipotent as portrayed she/he forgot that his/her message would not be amended to suit a change in understanding.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Does it matter how old she was. Did she even exist?

Just a fairy story after all.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Onyx8 » Jan 20, 2013 6:10 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Do not make the mistake of applying contemporary morals to yesteryear. As a rule of thumb now, the further back one goes in human history, the greater the inhumanity. So while it would be unacceptable for a woman to be expected to give birth
at that age now, two thousand years ago was a whole different time. It is rather interesting to look to Islam in this respect also. I do not know how old Mary was in the Koran when she gave birth to Jesus - although he is referenced as speaking in tongues on point of birth - but a girl became a woman after her first period now. This little known fact is something that Islamophobes forget to mention when referencing Mohammad as a paedophile. Nowadays it would be absolutely wrong for one to impregnate a child but as I said one should not apply contemporary morals to yesteryear, for they are not absolute

How about the 'thighing' of Aisha from 6-9 years old?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Clive Durdle » Jan 20, 2013 6:17 pm

The answer is possibly hundreds of thousands of years....

Mary in Feminist Theology: Mother of God or Domesticated Goddess? | Fr. Manfred Hauke

Print-friendly version

Mary, the virginal mother of God, is a kind of central point at which the main lines of the Catholic Faith come together. Since it is impossible to conceive of sacred history without her, she points in a unique way toward the mystery of Christ and the Church. By virtue of that position, she also becomes a criterion against which new theological conceptions must be measured. Mary's criteriological significance is of supreme value when assessing feminist theology, which puts forward demands for fundamental changes in religious life.

Mary Daly's and other Feminist Critiques of Mariology

The decisive impulse to theological feminism's critique of Mariology came in 1973, from Mary Daly's Beyond God the Father. Already in 1968, Daly published a book on the theme of women, its title and basic content closely tied to Simone de Beauvoir: The Church and the Second Sex. For Daly, too, one does not arrive in the world as a woman, but one becomes a woman. In view of the theory of evolution, we can no longer speak of an "essence" of man or of woman or, likewise, of an immutable God who grounds immutable orders of things. Hence, there are no longer any creation-imposed presuppositions to serve as standards for the transformation of society and the Church, but only the ideal of "equality."

In her 1973 critique, Daly has been inspired once again by Simone de Beauvoir, who had pointed out the contrast between the ancient goddesses and Mary as early as 1949; whereas the goddesses commanded autonomous power and utilized men for their own purposes, Mary is wholly the servant of God: "'I am the handmaid of the Lord.' For the first time in the history of mankind," writes Beauvoir, "a mother kneels before her son and acknowledges, of her own free will, her inferiority. The supreme victory of masculinity is consummated in Mariolatry: it signifies the rehabilitation of woman through the completeness of her defeat."

Daly now sharpens this critique and puts it in a wider systematic context: Mary is "a remnant of the ancient image of the Mother Goddess, enchained and subordinated in Christianity, as the 'Mother of God'." To this attempt to "domesticate" the mother goddess, Daly opposes a striving to bring together the divine and the feminine.

http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features ... july05.asp
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby HomerJay » Jan 20, 2013 6:31 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:Do not make the mistake of applying contemporary morals to yesteryear.

Difficult to see what you mean here (except as some sort of over emotive censoriousness, hallmarked by the Islamophobia reference).

Herod supposedly massacred the innocents, historically likely or not, are you seriously suggesting we cannot tell if it would good, bad or indifferent to kill all the 2 year olds in a wide area?

Or that we can't tell if god's slaughter at Sodom was slightly severe? :crazy:

If the fuckwits of today claim to follow the morals of yesteryear do we judge them according to your ineptitude or do can we judge them against our more reasoned view?

:dunno:
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 20, 2013 6:50 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:at that age now, two thousand years ago was a whole different time. It is rather interesting to look to Islam in this respect also. I do not know how old Mary was in the Koran when she gave birth to Jesus - although he is referenced as speaking in tongues on point of birth - but a girl became a woman after her first period now. This little known fact is something that Islamophobes forget to mention when referencing Mohammad as a paedophile. Nowadays it would be absolutely wrong for one to impregnate a child but as I said one should not apply contemporary morals to yesteryear, for they are not absolute

But one can apply contemporary definitions to yesteryear. If Mohammad had sex with other men, he would by definition be gay whatever the society of the period would've recognised him as (unless there was a good reason why he was doing so without any attraction). Similarly, anyone who is attracted to and has sex with prepubescent children is a paedophile by definition. That he married a prepubescent girl wouldn't be evidence of paedophilia, but having sex with her would be as far as I'm concerned. I'm struggling to think of another way that a reasonably old man for the time could get aroused enough to have sex with someone without any attraction there.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Tero » Jan 20, 2013 7:13 pm

Supposing there was a Jesus who was the source/inspiration of the legend. A girl, 12-17, got pregnant. Area man Joseph was talking to marrying her, as his wife had died. So Joseph never had sex with a 12 year old in all likelyhood.

So what? Legends have all kinds of parts thrown in.
How American politics goes
1 Republicans cut tax, let everything run down to barely working...8 years
2 Democrats fix public spending to normal...8 years
Rinse, repeat.
Tero

Print view this post

#16  Postby RealityRules » Jan 20, 2013 10:07 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Does it matter how old she was. Did she even exist?

Just a fairy story after all.

Yep.
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#17  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 20, 2013 10:40 pm

Onyx8 wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Do not make the mistake of applying contemporary morals to yesteryear. As a rule of thumb now, the further back one goes in human history, the greater the inhumanity. So while it would be unacceptable for a woman to be expected to give birth at that age now, two thousand years ago was a whole different time. It is rather interesting to look to Islam in this respect also. I do not know how old Mary was in the Koran when she gave birth to Jesus - although he is referenced as speaking in tongues on point of birth - but a girl became a woman after her first period now. This little known fact is something that Islamophobes forget to mention when referencing Mohammad as a paedophile. Nowadays it would be absolutely wrong for one to impregnate a child but as I said one should not apply contemporary morals to yesteryear, for they are not absolute

How about the thighing of Aisha from 6 - 9 years old

My understanding is that Mohammad married Aisha when she was six but had to wait three more years - till she was nine - before having sexual intercourse with her. This was perfectly acceptable as that was when she had her first period so she would have legally been a woman from that point on. I also understand that girls matured earlier then so it would not have been unusual to start menstruating at that age. The other interestinhg thing is that she was A Christian when Mohammad married her, and remained one the rest of her life. But nowadays, it is traditional for Muslims only to marry Muslims, as bringing up children is less complicated and guarantees a future generation raised in the faith
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#18  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 20, 2013 10:50 pm

HomerJay wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Do not make the mistake of applying contemporary morals to yesteryear

Difficult to see what you mean here

( except as some sort of over emotive censoriousness hallmarked by the Islamophobia reference )

How so wrong you are Homer. What I mean is that morality is not absolute
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#19  Postby Onyx8 » Jan 21, 2013 1:52 am

surreptitious57 wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:

My understanding is that Mohammad married Aisha when she was six but had to wait three more years - till she was nine - before having sexual intercourse with her. This was perfectly acceptable as that was when she had her first period so she would have legally been a woman from that point on. I also understand that girls matured earlier then so it would not have been unusual to start menstruating at that age. The other interestinhg thing is that she was A Christian when Mohammad married her, and remained one the rest of her life. But nowadays, it is traditional for Muslims only to marry Muslims, as bringing up children is less complicated and guarantees a future generation raised in the faith

...and the 'thighing'?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 21, 2013 2:13 am

Onyx8 wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
Onyx8 wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:

My understanding is that Mohammad married Aisha when she was six but had to wait three more years - till she was nine - before having sexual intercourse with her. This was perfectly acceptable as that was when she had her first period so she would have legally been a woman from that point on. I also understand that girls matured earlier then so it would not have been unusual to start menstruating at that age. The other interesting thing is that she was A Christian when Mohammad married her, and remained one the rest of her life. But nowadays, it is traditional for Muslims only to marry Muslims, as bringing up children is less complicated and guarantees a future generation raised in the faith

. . . and the thighing

That was regarded as separate to intercourse, because it was permitted before puberty
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Next

Return to Christianity