I'm re-writing the bible

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: I'm re-writing the bible

#941  Postby Agrippina » Aug 10, 2016 6:01 am

Tracer Tong wrote:
Agrippina wrote:I want to put this on record that while I fully support the right of anyone to become very educated without even attending formal primary school, I do not apply this method of learning to sciences that involve the general public's health, security, and right to life. In the sciences, it is vitally important that all learning, and certainly that which applies to treating illness, should be done under the auspices of accredited institutions who then become responsible for validating the student's right to call themselves proficient in their particular field of study.

When it comes to the humanities, anyone who has a brain can educate themselves if they have the willingness and the enthusiasm to become an authority on whatever it is they choose to learn. Despite the reluctance of this member to accept that 50+ years of studying history, I doubt any person within the community of people who make a living out of studying the Bible is going to be prepared to challenge my claim that I know a lot about that particular piece of writing. Especially since he hasn't bothered to even make an effort to read what I've written, since although I do not accept the existence of a deity as explained in the Bible, I do not condemn the writing that supports the explanation, but rather view it as yet another in the collection of writings from the first century BCE.

Tracer Tong, would you care to enlighten us about your own opinion on the existence of the main character in the Bible. Your opinion would help us reach a conclusion about why my claim of being a bit of a "scholar" or "authority" bothers you so much.

I didn't claim that it bothered me.

Of course it's bothering you. If it wasn't you would've let it go, long ago.

I merely suggested that it was problematic to be making claims to competence you do not have.

I am not making claims of "competence" I "do not have". I am amply competent to argue my point of view about the Bible. I am amply competence to discuss the Bible. I am amply competent to lecture on the contents of the Bible. So there is no problem whatsoever about my competence when it comes to the Bible, anymore than I lack the competence to discuss any other ancient work I have studied for a length of time. Please explain to me how you are competent to discuss my own competence when you haven't actually taken the time to read what I've written.

I'll suggest a wise response would have been to admit you merely got carried away when talking about your intellectual journey. Instead, you seem to be attempting to justify your claim, by e.g. appealing to the length of time you've been "studying history". This is regrettable.

I'll tell you what is regrettable. It is that someone who has no knowledge of me, except for what they have read on the internet, and who has not participated in the forum to any great degree despite long-standing membership , imagines that he/she has the competence to judge my own competency when it comes to my study of the Bible.

My position on the "main character in the Bible", which I assume is a peculiar way of referring to Jesus, is irrelevant to our exchange, and apropos of nothing I've said to you. You're welcome to ask me the same question in the "historical Jesus" thread, mind you.

There you go. In your first sentence you demonstrate your own ignorance of the Bible. The main character of the Bible is the character named "God" by modern theists, also known as "Elhoi", "El", "Jahweh" "JHWH", "I am that I am", and so on. Jesus is a minor character in four books of the entire anthology, he is not the main character.
Last edited by Agrippina on Aug 10, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#942  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 10, 2016 6:02 am

Tracer Tong wrote:I merely suggested that it was problematic to be making claims to competence you do not have.

If you're going to have a snit about someone's credentials, especially in a field that involves writing commentaries on the bible, my advice is not to get yourself all confused between 'competence' and 'credentials'. Engineers, of course, can be sued for shoddy work; I can have a little laugh at the thought of holding liable for anything he or she writes (about the bible) someone who produces commentary on the bible.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#943  Postby Agrippina » Aug 10, 2016 6:12 am

Tracer Tong wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:
Alan B wrote:That is a very narrow point of view.

There are probably many people throughout history who, without formal training in a particular subject, have set the standards in that subject for other scholars to follow.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how what I said was a "narrow point of view".

Perhaps Agrippina will be setting the scholarly agenda for the foreseeable future; perhaps not. This is besides the point I'm making in any case.

The internet is becoming the place where people will be getting their education. I will respect this because those people will be willingly seeking education, not following courses merely to pick up pieces of paper. In view of the sort of discourse I'm finding on social media, I'm becoming a little skeptical of the value of most of the formal education available today, certainly in the humanities. I had a discussion with a teacher at one of our schools yesterday. He commented that the standard of certainly languages is falling because of the culture of "no child left behind". Children are not allowed to fail today. They have to be passed through the system and penalising them for errors in language for instance, in sometimes language itself, is no longer practised. So children get away with grammar and spelling errors, passing exams despite the fact that they can barely write a coherent sentence. These people find their way into university because of political requirements for population section numbers and so on, meaning that more deserving people don't get places at university. This is happening in my country.

As an example of self-learning and learning for the love of it, something that's a bit of a "thing" in my family. Yesterday, my almost 6-year-old grandson, watched and discussed a youtube video about Newton's second law F=ma, with my son. He understood the concept of Force, mass and acceleration, and how they change with difference values of the variables, this without being still in the pre-primary level of his school. In the education system, this very bright child will be held back to remain with his age group so that he doesn't receive an unfair advantage by being passed ahead to get to university level at a younger age. This is exactly what happened to me. I was doing algebra when I was 6 or 7, yet I had to remain in my school level, and with my dad's narrow outlook, wasn't allowed to learn maths and science at school anyway. I taught myself to grade 12 level maths during my 12-year period of being a wife and mother, then started reading with a view to formal education, again being prevented by misogynistic husbands. Finally with the help of my children, and support of my present husband, (the main support from this child's father), I entered formal education. This child is now being taught by his philosopher dad, a form of home schooling. By the time he gets to go to university, he will be able to take the lectures, let alone be made to go through the courses. Will he drop out, as my second son did when he entered a course to gain a BSc in computer science because the courses he had to follow were easy work he'd done when he was 12? Very likely. However, he will be 18 in the computer age. Possibly he'll be able to enter a career as an engineer without even completing formal school, who knows? We can't see the future, but I'm all for it. Education isn't passing exams, achieving some level set by people in an earlier age. It's an ongoing process we should pursue because we are interested to learn, and we shouldn't be judged as lacking because we don't hold a piece of paper.

All of this is very interesting, I'm sure. But it doesn't go to the issue raised.

Of course it does. It shows very clearly that one does not need to attend a famous university to be knowledgeable on a subject.

And while I'm on the subject of university education, you commented on this thread that I do not hold a degree. If you actually bothered to read my posts, you would see that I do in fact hold two degrees: Psychology and Ancient History. That I do not hold a doctoral degree is not pertinent to my being able to draw conclusions from my reading of anything relating to the subjects I chose to study. I suppose from your high ivory tower of education, a university with more than 36,000 current students, and with alumni such as Nobel Laureates Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu isn't relevant in the greater ambit of academia. Be careful, your own ignorance is showing. The world of academia does not end with the "Ivy League" of the narrow-minded.
http://www.unisa.ac.za/Default.asp?Cmd=ViewContent&ContentID=24204

I commend anyone who takes an interest in antiquity, whether it pertains to the Bible or not, and whether it's manifested formally or otherwise. But developing such an interest does not entitle you to call yourself a Biblical scholar, since this implies that you've reached a degree of formal academic attainment when in reality you've reached no degree of it at all.

See what I said above.

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:OK. I guess the issue is that you're calling yourself a Bible scholar when you've no academic qualifications in that discipline.

Since scholar isn't an academic title in the first place, I fail to see how that's relevant.
More-over qualifications are irrelevant as long as your position is supported by evidence and sound arguments.

I'm not sure what you mean by "an academic title". I haven't commented on any position Agrippina holds; my point is merely that she is calling herself a Biblical scholar when she is no such thing.

Yet in this same post you claim that I do not hold a degree. This is I think a personal comment and in violation of the forums FUA, however I'm big enough to let it go.
Last edited by Agrippina on Aug 10, 2016 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#944  Postby Agrippina » Aug 10, 2016 6:17 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:I merely suggested that it was problematic to be making claims to competence you do not have.

If you're going to have a snit about someone's credentials, especially in a field that involves writing commentaries on the bible, my advice is not to get yourself all confused between 'competence' and 'credentials'. Engineers, of course, can be sued for shoddy work; I can have a little laugh at the thought of holding liable for anything he or she writes (about the bible) someone who produces commentary on the bible.

I always find it amusing that theists get onto their high horse about non-theists commenting on their favourite book of mythology. I can only imagine ancient Persians, and even modern Iranians, leaping around in horror at the thought that we point out that the flood that Gilgamesh told of was mere mythology. Wait, some modern Persians are tearing down the symbols of their ancient world in favour of a new book of mythology. In 2000 years will then theists whine about non-theists writing about that book saying "you're not qualified, you haven't attended the university of Tehran's Theology Department's lectures on the holy book!" :roll: :roll:

What I'm writing about is merely a book of mythology, it's not as if I'm calling myself a scholar of oncology.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#945  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 10, 2016 6:37 am

Agrippina wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

I always find it amusing that theists get onto their high horse about non-theists commenting on their favourite book of mythology. I can only imagine ancient Persians, and even modern Iranians, leaping around in horror at the thought that we point out that the flood that Gilgamesh told of was mere mythology. Wait, some modern Persians are tearing down the symbols of their ancient world in favour of a new book of mythology. In 2000 years will then theists whine about non-theists writing about that book saying "you're not qualified, you haven't attended the university of Tehran's Theology Department's lectures on the holy book!" :roll: :roll:

What I'm writing about is merely a book of mythology, it's not as if I'm calling myself a scholar of oncology.

We lose nothing tangible in assuming it's merely a book of mythology, and making a commentary on that basis. The high horse is not tangible. It smells like shit, but it's not tangible.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Aug 10, 2016 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#946  Postby Agrippina » Aug 10, 2016 6:39 am

Just thinking about this silly nonsense while I get myself ready to start my book on Deuteronomy, it's really quite ridiculous. What was merely a passing, tongue-in-cheek joking comment about being "something/what of a biblical scholar" has got some young person's knickers in a twist of fear of being made less by some old woman on the other side of the world, and who is doing this exercise merely to relieve the tedium of retirement and ill-health. I haven't yet, in my years and years, as I said 50+ years of reading history, come across someone calling themselves a "scholar". It's usually a title given to them by people that admire and respect what they've written. I also don't rush around the internet looking for the credentials of people who other people refer to as "the renowned biblical scholar..." to see if they have the required Oxford/Cambridge/Harvard/Yale etc doctorate. I simply read what they've written. I guess I just do not have a small mind. (Or else my inferior education from a low-level school of information has left me bereft of the ability to distinguish good from bad research, or something).

I expect the next thing will be something about Wikipedia. Oh dear, can't wait for that stupidity.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#947  Postby Agrippina » Aug 10, 2016 6:40 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Agrippina wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

We lose nothing tangible in assuming it's merely a book of mythology. The high horse is not tangible. It smells like shit, but it's not tangible.

Indeed. People should remember too that the higher the horse they ride, the harder they're going to fall.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#948  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 10, 2016 6:55 am

Agrippina wrote:I haven't yet, in my years and years, as I said 50+ years of reading history, come across someone calling themselves a "scholar".

Scholarship as a technical skill is mainly about managing your citation list in relation to the block quotes in your dissertation. It is often sufficient to quote something without ever having tried to determine if it's appropriate. It's the job of your writing to show that your quotes are appropriate. It also seems to be used commonly among people who study scripture, as in "Islamic scholars".

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#949  Postby VazScep » Aug 10, 2016 6:58 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:It's an unprotected title.
So is "software engineer", which is why we live in a world where significant amounts of the software we use is written in languages designed for amateurs where sanitizing database inputs is still a "hard problem".
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#950  Postby Cito di Pense » Aug 10, 2016 7:07 am

VazScep wrote:
So is "software engineer", which is why we live in a world where significant amounts of the software we use is written in languages designed for amateurs where sanitizing database inputs is still a "hard problem".

I think it might be interesting to ponder the relation between this problem and the one about the difference between news and entertainment and all the junk that's in the web pages you want to load. It's still not a complete non-sequitur in a thread about commentary on the bible. I think the 'high horse' is very much present in issues with sanitizing most databases.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#951  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 10, 2016 7:16 am

VazScep wrote:

Like I said earlier, there's a reason creationist, conspiracy theorists and the like, often appeal to 'scholars' or even 'renowned scholars' as their authoritative sources.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#952  Postby Agrippina » Aug 10, 2016 7:44 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Agrippina wrote:I haven't yet, in my years and years, as I said 50+ years of reading history, come across someone calling themselves a "scholar".

Scholarship as a technical skill is mainly about managing your citation list in relation to the block quotes in your dissertation. It is often sufficient to quote something without ever having tried to determine if it's appropriate. It's the job of your writing to show that your quotes are appropriate. It also seems to be used commonly among people who study scripture, as in "Islamic scholars".

And my block quotes and citations are prolific. Of course they might not be strictly "academic" but then how "academic" can one be about mythology. It's based on the mind meanderings of ancient goat herders, not a scholarly work itself, so any opinions about it, either for or against, are merely further mind meanderings and without the actual original text citing its own sources, not testable for truth.

Yes on the islamic scholars, but even then I don't see people calling themselves that. It's why even when other people tell me I'm a "scholar" I deny the claim because it's not really something people call themselves. A bit like patting yourself on the back.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#953  Postby Alan B » Aug 10, 2016 8:56 am

I had always assumed it was a title given by others to show their recognition of someone else's study.

So, TT, do you have a response?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#954  Postby Agrippina » Aug 10, 2016 9:13 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
VazScep wrote:

Like I said earlier, there's a reason creationist, conspiracy theorists and the like, often appeal to 'scholars' or even 'renowned scholars' as their authoritative sources.

Yes. Possibly I'm discarded as a source because you know, Nelson Mandela Nobel Laureate who held, in his own name, only a legal degree, and then was awarded several honorary doctorates, only became the most sought-after celebrity of all time. Hmmm I wonder why he wasn't discarded as not being "scholarly" enough.

While working at the firm Mandela enrolled for a BA degree in law at the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits). - See more at: http://www.sahistory.org.za/topic/childhood-and-education-1918-1930s#sthash.tFBM8Xus.dpuf

Alan B wrote:I had always assumed it was a title given by others to show their recognition of someone else's study.

So, TT, do you have a response?

Yes, it is a conferred title, not one assumed by the holder. My comment was a joke. Not meant to be taken seriously. :roll:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#955  Postby Fallible » Aug 10, 2016 10:08 am

If I had to guess, I'd say Nelson Mandela received those honorary doctorates as recognition for his life's work outside of the library.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#956  Postby Agrippina » Aug 10, 2016 11:21 am

Yes he did, but he still spent a lot of the time he was imprisoned, reading books and learning everything he could lay his hands on. At first it was just hard labour and they didn't having anything to read, but then they all made the effort to learn. He was extremely well-read, but yes, indeed, he was given doctorates as recognition for his work, but also because of how he avoided dumping us into a bloodbath of civil war when he left prison. Our thanks for that was at the ballot box in 1994 when he overwhelming was voted to be our president. I've often said I don't have heroes, but he, and Barack Obama are the two people I've admired the most in recent history.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-23618727
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#957  Postby VazScep » Aug 10, 2016 11:48 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
VazScep wrote:

I think it might be interesting to ponder the relation between this problem and the one about the difference between news and entertainment and all the junk that's in the web pages you want to load. It's still not a complete non-sequitur in a thread about commentary on the bible. I think the 'high horse' is very much present in issues with sanitizing most databases.
I should save the context of my whine for prosperity. For two days, this page was returning a report of a sql syntax error which I am led to believe is due to a certain use of quote tags. I might be accused of riding a high horse when declaring that such bugs only appear in software written by script kiddies.

I don't have much stake in this game. I like certain phd'd scholars of ancient languages because there is at least a real competency involved in translating dead languages, and it's the sort of competency you can expect to require specialist training and recognised qualification. I would like that to be the case with software but I am well out on the fringes there, with the web itself having been built, as Alan Kay suggest, by amateurs. I think Kay is a bit unfair there. However shit the web is, there is at least plenty of it.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#958  Postby Tracer Tong » Jun 08, 2017 4:12 pm

So, now everyone's had a chance to calm down: Agrippina, do you still claim to be a biblical scholar?
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#959  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Again since it isn't a protected term, what does it matter?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#960  Postby Tracer Tong » Jun 08, 2017 4:16 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Again since it isn't a protected term, what does it matter?

You're going to have to remind me what a protected term is.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity