Infants receiving Holy Communion

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Infants receiving Holy Communion

#1  Postby John Platko » Jan 19, 2015 4:59 pm

I never knew that this sort of thing went on. In some churches infants can receive Holy Communion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l09khpR4XVk#t=41

And this even happens in some Catholic churches, e.g. very young children, and I'm told even
infants, can now receive Communion in the US parish where I was Baptized.

A 3 year old receiving Communion in a Catholic Church.

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Infants receiving Holy Communion

#2  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 19, 2015 5:12 pm

I first received mine when I was seven as that was the standard age at the time. Later on one was allowed to touch the host and place it in ones mouth instead of letting the priest do so though if memory serves me right I never did that myself. So I can only think that the rules have been relaxed once again with regard to that. You are not supposed to receive the host if you have committed a mortal sin but that does not apply to children that young as they are below the age of responsibility
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#3  Postby John Platko » Jan 19, 2015 6:01 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:I first received mine when I was seven as that was the standard age at the time. Later on one was allowed to touch the host and place it in ones mouth instead of letting the priest do so though if memory serves me right I never did that myself. So I can only think that the rules have been relaxed once again with regard to that. You are not supposed to receive the host if you have committed a mortal sin but that does not apply to children that young as they are below the age of responsibility

It's not so much that the rules have been "relaxed once again" as the rights that were granted to certain Rites centuries ago are once again being more universally allowed to be applied. When Eastern Rite Catholics migrated west they had many of their Rites customs that were by agreement granted by the Pope taken away because the Roman Catholic Bishops didn't like them. For example, Byzantine Catholic Priests in the US lost the right to be married. Now, these rights have been restored, at least in some places. So, my hometown Catholic Church has a married priest who has three children. And young children can receive Communion - but this would have been standard practice in 16th century Byzantine Catholic Churches.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 19, 2015 6:51 pm

John Platko wrote:
my hometown Catholic Church has a married priest who has three children

This is the first I have heard of a Catholic priest being married as celibacy is supposed to be a condition of their vocation
But many leave the priesthood because they have no partner so maybe from a practical perspective the rules on celibacy could be relaxed. It is not a requirement for other denominations within Christianity anyway save for Franciscan or Jesuit monks. It was not always so as even popes used to be married at one time. And if it prevents child abuse it is a no brainer
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#5  Postby John Platko » Jan 19, 2015 7:13 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:
John Platko wrote:
my hometown Catholic Church has a married priest who has three children

This is the first I have heard of a Catholic priest being married as celibacy is supposed to be a condition of their vocation
But many leave the priesthood because they have no partner so maybe from a practical perspective the rules on celibacy could be relaxed. It is not a requirement for other denominations within Christianity anyway save for Franciscan or Jesuit monks. It was not always so as even popes used to be married at one time. And if it prevents child abuse it is a no brainer

The Catholic Church doesn't go out of its way to advertise that some Catholic priests are married and this has been going on for a long time. Sometimes it becomes a source of conflict as married priests immigrate to parts of the world where local bishops have problems with the concept. Now there are married Roman Catholic priests because Anglican and Episcopal married priests can defect to the Catholic Church.

The technicalities of priests being required to be celibate is that it is a discipline not doctrine. So the church can change these rules at will. However, the Church should not be able to take the right of marriage away from Byzantine Catholic priests because that was guaranteed back in the 16th century. I'll note, if you want to be a married priest then you must marry before becoming a priest - just thought I'd mention that in case any forum members were thinking they might like to ...

Edit: Here's a 60 minutes story covering married priests.

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity