Ingersoll on the Scottish Church

a question regarding sources

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Ingersoll on the Scottish Church

#1  Postby Zwaarddijk » Mar 15, 2019 6:40 pm

In Robert Ingersoll's text on the superstition of the Sabbath, he goes on to say as follows:
The Scotch went so far as to take the ground that it was wrong
to save people who were drowning on Sunday, the drowning being a
punishment inflicted by God. Upon the question of keeping the
Sabbath most of the Scottish people became insane.

I wonder if anyone happens to know of a source for his claim here. On my part, if it were true, certain arguments of mine would actually gain power and credibility from Ingersoll's claim being true, but I am not going to be seduced by wishful thinking into assuming he was right on this.

The full article of his can be found here: https://infidels.org/library/historical ... ition.html
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Re: Ingersoll on the Scottish Church

#2  Postby romansh » Mar 15, 2019 9:42 pm

I would try page 369
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#3  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 16, 2019 5:28 am

Zwaarddijk wrote:On my part, if it were true, certain arguments of mine would actually gain power and credibility from Ingersoll's claim being true, but I am not going to be seduced by wishful thinking into assuming he was right on this.

What would it mean for his (Ingersoll's) claim to be true? Ingersoll mass-produced a certain variety of rant that appeals to persons of an anti-religious mindset. Both religious and anti-religious attempts to interpret scriptures sink by running onto the same rock.

What I mean is, someone who would refuse to save a drowning person on Sunday has personal reasons for the refusal, and anyone accepting a justification on the basis of scripture has similar personal reasons. Quoting scripture is only an excuse. If you could show that scripture produces excuses for pushing people into the river (you can), it makes a more serious charge. It's still an excuse, and you're stuck with that. We don't let people off the hook for pushing people into the river; scripture again just gives excuses for not letting them off the hook.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 16, 2019 3:22 pm

He fails at the first word.

Scotch is the drink. Scots are the people.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Zwaarddijk » Mar 16, 2019 10:02 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:He fails at the first word.

Scotch is the drink. Scots are the people.

At the time Ingersoll lived, this distinction had not been established, and thus his usage was not wrong at the time he lived. Correcting it now would not be considered a correct practice. LEARN SOME FUCKING HISTORICAL LINGUISTICS.

I see you have gotten no more clever since last I saw you hereabouts.
Last edited by Zwaarddijk on Mar 17, 2019 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Zwaarddijk » Mar 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Zwaarddijk wrote:On my part, if it were true, certain arguments of mine would actually gain power and credibility from Ingersoll's claim being true, but I am not going to be seduced by wishful thinking into assuming he was right on this.

What would it mean for his (Ingersoll's) claim to be true? Ingersoll mass-produced a certain variety of rant that appeals to persons of an anti-religious mindset. Both religious and anti-religious attempts to interpret scriptures sink by running onto the same rock.

What I mean is, someone who would refuse to save a drowning person on Sunday has personal reasons for the refusal, and anyone accepting a justification on the basis of scripture has similar personal reasons. Quoting scripture is only an excuse. If you could show that scripture produces excuses for pushing people into the river (you can), it makes a more serious charge. It's still an excuse, and you're stuck with that. We don't let people off the hook for pushing people into the river; scripture again just gives excuses for not letting them off the hook.

Since you have no idea why I want to know whether his claim is accurate or not, there's no use to your weird diatribe. Bugger off.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Fallible » Mar 17, 2019 7:39 pm

:tehe:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Zwaarddijk » Mar 19, 2019 9:20 pm

romansh wrote:I would try page 369

I did not ask for a source for him saying it, I was asking for whatever source he based it on.You gave me the former. I already provided a link to exactly the same text.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Nevets » Mar 10, 2020 3:19 am

Not sure how where the author of that article gets this claim.

The Sabbath comes from Hebrew.

The Sabbath (Hebrew) is a day set aside for rest and worship. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbath

But adhering to the Sabbath day of Sunday, first became "law" In 321 AD, for nations under the rule of Roman emperor Constantine the Great

In 321 AD, Roman emperor Constantine the Great enacted the first civil law regarding Sunday observance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbath#S ... _First-day

As Alba, or Caledonia, largely fended off Romanisation, the law would mostly have not applied to them.

But according to the person that wrote the article, the Scots were among the first to observe the Sabbath.

I think one will be struggling to find a source which says the Church of Scotland was observing the Sabbath pre 321AD
The Church of Scotland was not even a Scottish independent Church until the Scottish reformation of 1560

The Church of Scotland traces its roots back to the beginnings of Christianity in Scotland, but its identity is principally shaped by the Reformation of 1560. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Scotland
Nevets
Banned User

Name: steven gall

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 10, 2020 3:30 am

What does our Lord and Savior Wikipedia have to say on the matter?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Return to Christianity