Is it irrational for Christians to feel guilt/pride?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Is it irrational for Christians to feel guilt/pride?

#61  Postby Dark energy » Feb 10, 2017 10:37 pm

so you have to do something about it,got it.i used to think when i was small that atheism and hell was inter-changeable . :ask: not funny i know.
And."
Dark energy

Name: dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 10, 2017 10:49 pm

Atheism is freedom from hell...and as for heaven, how could you possibly enjoy it knowing that people like me are burning in hell? You'd have to be a psychopath to enjoy heaven if there is a hell.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#63  Postby monkeyboy » Feb 11, 2017 7:43 am

Dark energy wrote:it is part of Gods plan,might be he has something in store for them as for hell,it is satan that is dragging them to it,.

See, not even that bit makes sense.

Why would Satan, a fallen angel, cast out from heaven do God's work? He's supposedly the master of evil etc and rules over hell, torturing the sinful for eternity but have you stopped to consider if that makes any sense? Surely hell ought to be like party central for the wicked. If it truly is satan orchestrating all the bad shit and recruiting people to his dastardly ways, why would he torture them in a lake of fire for doing his will? They'd be his guys, the more twisted the better. It doesn't make sense for him to torture people who did what he wanted.

But, let's say that he is there, just as Alighieri described, punishing the evil. Doesn't that make satan an agent for god? Wouldn't satan be doing gods work by punishing the wicked? Is satan God's Luca Brasi? Is that it? God can't smite any more because of rainbows but he uses Satan to do his wet work?
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Alan B » Feb 11, 2017 10:37 am

No such thing as Satan. But there was a human invention (by the priests) of 'Lucifer' who was an angel deputised by God to tempt easily-led humans (the priests 'flock') into 'wrong-doing' so that they could be made an example of as a means of control.

There is no such thing as Hell. But there was a rubbish dump - Gehenna - outside of Jerusalem where all the crucified (by the Romans) were thrown.

Read this and begin to understand...
Origins of Hell
The Western tradition of a Hell of everlasting punishment for the lawless/wicked can be seen in tens of thousands of Protestant denominations stemming from primarily Roman Catholicism. Roman Catholicism borrowed its myths of Hell from the Romans, Greeks and Jews who, in turn, borrowed them from the ancient Egyptians and Babylonians. So if a hell of everlasting punishment is a myth invented by power hungry men trying to control the masses, how did the idea ever get into the Bible? It is commonly taught and regirgutated by "the masses," that Jesus spoke more about Hell than He did about Heaven. Is this true? Or is this another one of those fabulous fables perpetrated upon the ignorant masses to keep them ignorant. A study of this man-made invention requires hundreds of pages. Below is a short article by Sam G. Dawson centering on the English word Hell and the Hebrew and Greek words behind it in our traditional Bible translations. (Sheol, Hades, Gehenna, Tartarus) Perhaps this is the time in your life to "Study to show yourself approved." (2 Tim. 2:15) Gary Amirault
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#65  Postby laklak » Feb 11, 2017 3:18 pm

Lucifer Morningstar has been the victim of bad press for centuries. He challenged God and got kicked out of the house, then slandered for yonks by all those Godarse licking pussies. He's a great guy, I look forward to meeting him again.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#66  Postby BlackBart » Feb 11, 2017 4:11 pm

Dark energy wrote:

by the way,is there any link b.w atheism and depression

Nope.

,because if i was an atheist-happy i am not-,i would try to be the happiest person i could because i know when my time in the world is up,i am lost for ever and forever, and not sure what to expect after that,.so,who has time for depression and other stuff..

Do you ever read what you type before hitting the 'Submit' button?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 11, 2017 4:19 pm

No well I will tell you if I was an atheist I would try not to be depressed because I would have everything to live for and only one life and not forever and ever amen like the Christian who must be proud to live forever knowing that they will go to Heaven as long as they believe in Jesus who goes to the toilet just like everybody else.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#68  Postby Dark energy » Feb 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Atheism is freedom from hell...and as for heaven, how could you possibly enjoy it knowing that people like me are burning in hell? You'd have to be a psychopath to enjoy heaven if there is a hell.

I would never want you or anyone else to even go near that place but this life is a test it is up to the individual to be humble and accept or arrogant and reject god,a tangible proof -scientific proof-or an equation like V=IR Which relate voltage,current and resistance for ohmic conductors does not exist for God and probably will not.logical proofs are possible but it aint my cup of tea,atheists can not prove that a creator doesnt exist.
there are many stuff in the math that are true but can not be proven.
And."
Dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Dark energy » Feb 11, 2017 6:20 pm

LucidFlight wrote:No well I will tell you if I was an atheist I would try not to be depressed because I would have everything to live for and only one life and not forever and ever amen like the Christian who must be proud to live forever knowing that they will go to Heaven as long as they believe in Jesus who goes to the toilet just like everybody else.

the reason he goes to the tailot is because he is just a human not god.
And."
Dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Fallible » Feb 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Dark energy wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Atheism is freedom from hell...and as for heaven, how could you possibly enjoy it knowing that people like me are burning in hell? You'd have to be a psychopath to enjoy heaven if there is a hell.

I would never want you or anyone else to even go near that place but this life is a test it is up to the individual to be humble and accept or arrogant and reject god,

No it isn't.

a tangible proof -scientific proof-or an equation like V=IR Which relate voltage,current and resistance for ohmic conductors does not exist for God and probably will not.logical proofs are possible but it aint my cup of tea,atheists can not prove that a creator doesnt exist.

That's no sort of argument that it does.

there are many stuff in the math that are true but can not be proven.

That doesn't mean that God exists.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Dark energy » Feb 11, 2017 7:40 pm

No it isn't.

then why most of the people go through health problems,financial woes,etc,we didnt choose to be in this planet,our stay is temporary,we dont have a choice to select a fixed amount of time to stay here,say 80 years.to me,it is test.

i already gave up proving god or its existance because at the end of the day,it is up to the individual to believe what the heck they like.i cant convince a blind person the existance of light.
And."
Dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Pebble » Feb 11, 2017 7:54 pm

Dark energy wrote:
i already gave up proving god or its existance because at the end of the day,it is up to the individual to believe what the heck they like.i cant convince a blind person the existance of light.

How much better the world would be if religious people understood and accepted this fully. Stop bothering others with what you believe just because you believe it. If you can't provide proof leave others alone, unless they ask.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Dark energy » Feb 11, 2017 8:11 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
Dark energy wrote:it is part of Gods plan,might be he has something in store for them as for hell,it is satan that is dragging them to it,.

See, not even that bit makes sense.

Why would Satan, a fallen angel, cast out from heaven do God's work? He's supposedly the master of evil etc and rules over hell, torturing the sinful for eternity but have you stopped to consider if that makes any sense? Surely hell ought to be like party central for the wicked. If it truly is satan orchestrating all the bad shit and recruiting people to his dastardly ways, why would he torture them in a lake of fire for doing his will? They'd be his guys, the more twisted the better. It doesn't make sense for him to torture people who did what he wanted.

But, let's say that he is there, just as Alighieri described, punishing the evil. Doesn't that make satan an agent for god? Wouldn't satan be doing gods work by punishing the wicked? Is satan God's Luca Brasi? Is that it? God can't smite any more because of rainbows but he uses Satan to do his wet work?

we are talking about two different satans here,we are on completely different wavelenght .satan never tortures people in hell,he is alive and in his planet earth making sure to mislead people,to turn them away from god,satan himself will be tortured in hell along with the humans who follow him.
And."
Dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Dark energy wrote:
i already gave up proving god or its existance because at the end of the day,it is up to the individual to believe what the heck they like.

People don't just believe what they like; they believe what they perceive as being the truth. If I caught my spouse in bed with another man I'd like to believe they were just really tired but my common sense would prevent me from believing that. I'd like to believe in heaven but don't because there's no evidence for it and it's obviously just wishful thinking. I'd like to believe in unicorns. I'd like to believe there was no such thing as anthropogenic global warming etc.etc.etc

You have some chronic misapprehensions dark energy.
Last edited by Keep It Real on Feb 11, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#75  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Dark energy wrote:
No it isn't.

then why most of the people go through health problems,financial woes,etc,we didnt choose to be in this planet,our stay is temporary,we dont have a choice to select a fixed amount of time to stay here,say 80 years.to me,it is test.

People go through health problems because our bodies are prone to such things. If an all-powerful deity existed, they could have easily made it so that this wasn't so, couldn't they? But they didn't. Would you inflict these things on people? No, of course you wouldn't. Compared to you, a deity that would is unambiguously evil. The only way you can explain away this evilness while still claiming there is a deity is to say it's a test. But what an absurd explanation! What does it test that you are able to catch a disease? What does it test for millions to die in a tsunami? What does parasitic insects that burrow into the eyes of children test? It's much better explained by uncaring nature, you'd have to be the personification of capriciousness to intentionally inflict these things on people.

I know the feeling, it can be difficult to see people blinded by their beliefs and desire to believe absurd things despite all evidence to the contrary. But as long as they aren't harming anyone, best just leave them be, yes?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#76  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 11, 2017 8:42 pm

Dark energy wrote:
i already gave up proving god or its existance because at the end of the day,it is up to the individual to believe what the heck they like.

Do you like believing in hell? Are you glad there is a hell?
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#77  Postby Dark energy » Feb 11, 2017 8:49 pm

People don't just believe what they like; they believe what they perceive as being the truth. If I caught my spouse in bed with another man I'd like to believe they were just really tired but my common sense would prevent me from believing that. I'd like to believe in heaven but don't because there's no evidence for it and it's obviously just wishful thinking. I'd like to believe in unicorns etc.etc.etc

Good for you.
I know the feeling, it can be difficult to see people blinded by their beliefs and desire to believe absurd things despite all evidence to the contrary. But as long as they aren't harming anyone, best just leave them be, yes?

absolutely, beautifully put.
And."
Dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Fallible » Feb 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Dark energy wrote:
No it isn't.

Good. To you it's a test. That's what you should have stuck with to begin with. Instead you made a claim. Why do you think there is a 'why' at all?

I don't really care what you gave up. If you are going to come here and offer stupid arguments, expect their stupidity to be pointed out to you. Belief isn't really a matter of choice. I don't believe because I can't. I can't make a square peg fit into a round hole. My mind won't allow it.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Dark energy » Feb 11, 2017 9:08 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Dark energy wrote:

Do you like believing in hell? Are you glad there is a hell?

Well,this looks like a bait Question,but hell and paradise are just creations like us under the control of allah,i wouldnt want hell on my worst enemy,but i have no power/choice in these matters,i never saw hell/heaven ,angel or such unearthly entity,but they are basis for my faith.

no,i am not glad,in fact when ever i remember hell i ask allah protection from that awful place.

my theory is that it is not eternal.
And."
Dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

#80  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Dark energy wrote:

no,i am not glad,in fact when ever i remember hell i ask allah protection from that awful place.

my theory is that it is not eternal.

What is your theory based on?
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity