Jon Stewart criticized for interviewing Malala Yousafzai

by Christian extremists.

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Jon Stewart criticized for interviewing Malala Yousafzai

#1  Postby Shrunk » Oct 23, 2013 3:21 pm

Wendy Wright and Chelsen Vicari co-hosted Sandy Rios In The Morning this week, and used the opportunity to attack The Daily Show’s Jon Stewart for discriminating against Christians.... Wright said she couldn’t understand why Stewart thinks “we are in charge and we are the oppressors,” referring to the Crusades as an instance in which Christians faced persecution. “I guess he never heard of the Crusades; the Crusades were actually defensive against the Muslim hordes,” she said.

Vicari was upset because she imagined that while Stewart and President Obama lauded Yousafzai, they wouldn’t have done so if she was shot while defending the rights of Christians.

I couldn’t, I just couldn’t see why there was such a disconnect between the way Jon Stewart was treating Malala for something very admirable, a girl’s right to an education, but he couldn’t stand up for the right to believe in Jesus Christ,” she said. I had this thought, Wendy, I thought, you know if Malala Yousafzai was a Christian standing up for girls’ rights to believe in Jesus Christ, would we still know her name? Would she receive all this praise that she’s getting from the international community? From our national leaders? The president just invited her to the White House on Friday. Would Jon Stewart have had her on his show? The answer is probably not and I have to ask the question, why that is?

Read more....

:crazy:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Jon Stewart criticized for interviewing Malala Yousafzai

#2  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 23, 2013 3:23 pm

But she isn't a Muslim standing up for a girls right to believe in Allah, she is a girl standing up for girls rights to be educated. This is just a whole pile of fail, just...fail.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby NamelessFaceless » Oct 23, 2013 3:24 pm

:facepalm:

Why do they have to make everything about Christians?
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 23, 2013 3:26 pm

All rights are the same, you see. Standing up for people believing in kooky, useless shit is totally the same as standing up for people being educated.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby theropod » Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

SaM,

True.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby proudfootz » Oct 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Apparently some reactionaries are going after the real tragedy here: education for women:

The cost of educating women

Not only have the proposed benefits manifestly failed to manifest themselves, but the opportunity cost of future generations has begun to become readily apparent everywhere from Europe to Asia. One wonders how low birth rates have to fall in civilized countries before the elites begin to realize that the Taliban may not, in fact, be the stupid ones with regards to this particular matter.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2013/10/the- ... women.html

Apparently the author has redacted the anti-education screed, as this is a quote from an earlier iteration of it:

"[I]n light of the strong correlation between female education and demographic decline, a purely empirical perspective on Malala Yousafzai, the poster girl for global female education, may indicate that the Taliban’s attempt to silence her was perfectly rational and scientifically justifiable."

http://manboobz.com/2013/10/23/vox-day- ... stifiable/

Another voice heard in support of keeping all women everywhere barefoot, ignorant, and pregnant.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Shrunk » Oct 23, 2013 3:45 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:All rights are the same, you see. Standing up for people believing in kooky, useless shit is totally the same as standing up for people being educated.

Actually, I think they are largely the same. The pertinent difference, rather, is between an actual girl who actually got shot in her head for defending her rights, and an imaginary girl who didn't get shot (because she's imaginary), but if she did exist did get shot. And Jon Stewart is biased against Christians because he didn't interview that girl. Who can't be interviewed, of course, because she's imaginary. But if she wasn't imaginary....
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Shrunk » Oct 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Anyway, I thought the biggest piece of fail here was the citation of the Crusades as an example of Christians being persecuted. :rofl:
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Panderos » Oct 23, 2013 3:50 pm

The interview referred to here was the first timeI'd seen Malala speak and I have to say I was pretty impressed. I was imagining a shy girl thrust into the limelight for being shot, who we all want to hold up as a hero, but who would actually have not a lot to say, being only a teenager. How wrong I was. It's all well and good for distant liberal intellectuals saying things like 'if we respond to the terrorists with violence we are just as bad as they are', whilst being safe in their ivory towers, but she was saying this, not just having lived under the taliban but having actually been shot the fucking head by one, and who will be again if they get the chance. Balls of motherfucking steel right there.
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 23, 2013 3:51 pm

Well when you rewrite reality so that evolution never happened and the Earth was flooded all over rewriting the history of your religions violent wars against another religion over holy land is easy peasy.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Shrunk wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:All rights are the same, you see. Standing up for people believing in kooky, useless shit is totally the same as standing up for people being educated.

Actually, I think they are largely the same. The pertinent difference, rather, is between an actual girl who actually got shot in her head for defending her rights, and an imaginary girl who didn't get shot (because she's imaginary), but if she did exist did get shot. And Jon Stewart is biased against Christians because he didn't interview that girl. Who can't be interviewed, of course, because she's imaginary. But if she wasn't imaginary....

...I don't think he'd be promoting her. He wouldn't have to, the religious would have a field day with it. Sauce for the goose though, I don't see the religious promoting this girl and her message. I guess that means they're biased against educating women? :mrgreen:

I know what you're saying, but I really do think there's a difference in levels of rights. A person's right to their religion shouldn't go as far as their right to more important things, like education or freedom of speech, for example. Or maybe I should say, some rights trump other rights.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Panderos wrote:The interview referred to here was the first timeI'd seen Malala speak and I have to say I was pretty impressed. I was imagining a shy girl thrust into the limelight for being shot, who we all want to hold up as a hero, but who would actually have not a lot to say, being only a teenager. How wrong I was. It's all well and good for distant liberal intellectuals saying things like 'if we respond to the terrorists with violence we are just as bad as they are', whilst being safe in their ivory towers, but she was saying this, not just having lived under the taliban but having actually been shot the fucking head by one, and who will be again if they get the chance. Balls of motherfucking steel right there.

I think if you're willing to stand up for girl's education in a country like Malala's, you have to be pretty brave and outspoken, I think. And, you have to have considered the possibility that the Taliban is going to shoot you in the fucking head for it, and decided to stand up anyway. Brave girl, through and through.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Thommo » Oct 23, 2013 4:05 pm

I think they've got a point. I mean, as a Jew, he's almost certain to discriminate against Christians in favour of Muslims right?
Thommo

Print view this post

#14  Postby proudfootz » Oct 23, 2013 4:11 pm

Thommo wrote:I think they've got a point. I mean, as a Jew, he's almost certain to discriminate against Christians in favour of Muslims right?

Jews, Muslims, Catholics, atheists - they're all in league with the Devil. :naughty:
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 23, 2013 4:11 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:Well when you rewrite reality so that evolution never happened and the Earth was flooded all over rewriting the history of your religions violent wars against another religion over holy land is easy peasy.

:this:
Getting so fed up with Christians and even some none-Christians claiming the Crusades were a defensive war against Islam/Arabs. :nono:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Shrunk » Oct 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Thommo wrote:I think they've got a point. I mean, as a Jew, he's almost certain to discriminate against Christians in favour of Muslims right?

Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Panderos » Oct 23, 2013 4:30 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:I think if you're willing to stand up for girl's education in a country like Malala's, you have to be pretty brave and outspoken, I think. And, you have to have considered the possibility that the Taliban is going to shoot you in the fucking head for it, and decided to stand up anyway. Brave girl, through and through.

Yes, this is all true, I just hadn't really thought about it like that until that interview. Being a teenage girl who survives a bullet to the head from the taliban is enough for the media to deify someone and cynically I assumed that's all that had really happened. I wasn't really aware of what it was like where she was living or how outspoken she had been / is.
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Shrunk » Oct 23, 2013 4:33 pm

Panderos wrote: Yes, this is all true, I just hadn't really thought about it like that until that interview. Being a teenage girl who survives a bullet to the head from the taliban is enough for the media to deify someone and cynically I assumed that's all that had really happened. I wasn't really aware of what it was like where she was living or how outspoken she had been / is.

I believe it is because she was so articulate and outspoken that she became a target.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby stijndeloose » Oct 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Shrunk wrote:Anyway, I thought the biggest piece of fail here was the citation of the Crusades as an example of Christians being persecuted. :rofl:

Similarly, the inquisition was just Christians defending themselves against vicious attacks from protestants, atheists, scientists, witches, werewolves and women.
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
stijndeloose
Banned User

Name: Stdlnjo
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Panderos » Oct 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Panderos wrote: Yes, this is all true, I just hadn't really thought about it like that until that interview. Being a teenage girl who survives a bullet to the head from the taliban is enough for the media to deify someone and cynically I assumed that's all that had really happened. I wasn't really aware of what it was like where she was living or how outspoken she had been / is.

I believe it is because she was so articulate and outspoken that she became a target.

Indeed, I don't doubt it now I've heard her speak.
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Christianity