Justin Welby "Good Vicars" equal "Growing Congregations"

Interview on BBC Today Programme

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Justin Welby "Good Vicars" equal "Growing Congregations"

#1  Postby quisquose » Dec 31, 2013 11:24 am

Antony Jenkins, chief executive of Barclays bank, was the guest editor on the Today Programme this morning and Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby was invited on as a guest speaker, as part of the Barclays chief's leadership-themed edition of the programme.

Justin Welby was forced to admit that the Pope was his "man of the year", but I also noted that when he was asked if he was worried about falling congregations he said he was not since they have god on their side, but then Archbishop Welby's commented that "good vicars" result in "growing congregations".

I think he's got his arse about tit here, and what he really thinks is "growing congregations" result in "good vicars", or he's confusing "good vicars" with charismatic vicars?

I can think of many occasions where result where the Church has lauded "good vicars" for their "growing congregations" only to find they weren't very good at all.

Here in Sheffield Chris Brain and the Nine O'Clock Service for one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_O'Clock_Service
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Justin Welby "Good Vicars" equal "Growing Congregations"

#2  Postby quisquose » Jan 01, 2014 1:53 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... ation.html

The Church of England must be realistic about dwindling congregations but a good vicar can still increase the size of their flock, the Archbishop of Canterbury has said.

The Most Rev Justin Welby said the church would not find new worshippers “accidentally” and so had to set a clear target of filling more pews if it was to tackle the decline in church-going in Britain.

In comments that hinted at the language of corporate expansion, the former oil executive challenged his priests to turn the tide and draw new worshippers to the Anglican faith.

“The reality is that where you have a good vicar, you will find growing churches,” he said.

The Archbishop said an initiative to engage with new worshippers by holding services in non-traditional venues like pubs and clubs had already swollen the church’s ranks by the equivalent of two dioceses.

Oil or lies, no difference. It's all about market share.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Re: Justin Welby "Good Vicars" equal "Growing Congregations"

#3  Postby Paul » Jan 01, 2014 2:15 pm

Saw him on the BBC this morning, video clip here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25566299

When I go back and read the bible, and pray, I find that I am dealing with a god who is deeply involved with every aspect of society, and who loves every human being, and who calls us to love our neighbours, as well as to love him and worship him.

O rly?

As far as I'm concenerned, a god that wants us to worship him is not deserving of worship.

What I think you mean, Rev. Oilwellsby, is that you want us to worship him, to boost your numbers. More lies.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity