Mary's pregnancy test - billboard in Auckland

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86, Matt8819, amok

#1  Postby Kiwi » Dec 14, 2011 4:55 am

It seems traditional now for this church to come up with billboards which provoke discussion, here's their latest !

St Matthew's vicar Glynn Cardy talks about the latest controversial billboard his church has erected. Auckland's most provocative church is at it again with a billboard showing Jesus' mother Mary staring at a positive pregnancy test. St Matthew's, also responsible for the well-known Gay-Dar billboard and another suggesting God was good in bed, has placed the new version outside its central city church in a move, it says, is designed to highlight the fact that Christmas is a tough time for many people. Erected yesterday, it shows Mary staring at a home pregnancy test which reveals she is pregnant.

In a statement, Vicar Glynn Cardy and priest associate Clay Nelson said Christmas was about "a real pregnancy, a real mother and a real child. It's about real anxiety, courage and hope". "Regardless of any premonition, that discovery would have been shocking. Mary was unmarried, young, and poor. This pregnancy would shape her future. She was certainly not the first woman in this situation or the last." The church said the billboard was aimed at provoking conversation and have asked people to submit their captions for the image. Cardy told Auckland Now it was about highlighting the fact that Christmas was a tough time for many people who suffered through a lack of money, poor health or violence.

"The point is really to get the season focussed on Jesus and on the reality of his birth and some of the anxieties that his mother felt and the real situation of people who are in poverty like his family were." He hoped it inspired people to be more generous. The church had not received any negative feedback so far and he expected it would remain that way. "I don't see it as particularly controversial," he said. "It's just a way of communicating those things." Cardy said the church's sometimes-controversial billboard campaign served a purpose.

"I think anything that provokes discussion about what the meaning of the Christian faith is, I mean that's our goal, is to provoke people to think about meaning." Earlier this year the church caused an uproar when it erected a "Gay-Dar" billboard which challenged the Anglican Church to stop discriminating against gays and lesbians.
In 2009, its billboard showed Mary lying in bed next to Jesus with a caption which read "Poor Joseph, God was a hard act to follow".
It also put up a billboard in April challenging the perception that all Christians were the same, following a complaint by the Anglican Church over a Hell Pizza ad.

Continue reading and watch the video
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6139752 ... es-purpose
Kiwi

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Mary's pregnancy test - billboard in Auckland

#2  Postby Sityl » Dec 14, 2011 5:12 am

God couldn't have been that tough of an act to follow, she didn't even feel it...
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Matt8819 » Dec 14, 2011 5:14 am

Matt8819

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby byofrcs » Dec 14, 2011 5:23 am

"Christmas is a tough time for many people. ", in NZ, at Christmas ? It's the middle of Summer; Beach or Bach ? Jesus, that's tough.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby sennekuyl » Dec 14, 2011 5:24 am

It would be awesome if they started using profiles that were likely to be around in the Middle East.
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Kiwi » Dec 14, 2011 5:28 am

Yes, like this for example ?

Kiwi

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby sennekuyl » Dec 14, 2011 5:43 am

Hmmm.... I was thinking a lot more cloth, darker skin but I am not sure what the profile actually is except that Joseph Mary and Jesus shouldn't look so ... white. Someone may show that the traditional iconography is correct.
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Beatrice » Dec 14, 2011 6:11 am

byofrcs wrote:"Christmas is a tough time for many people. ", in NZ, at Christmas ? It's the middle of Summer; Beach or Bach ? Jesus, that's tough.

Actually yes! It's very tough! I miss the snow! :whine:
Phew... for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself.....
"GOD" is an acronym which stands for "GOD Over Djinn".
Beatrice
RS Donator

Name:
Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Onyx8 » Dec 14, 2011 8:52 pm

"But, but, I swallowed..."
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby sennekuyl » Dec 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Improves conception rates.
Defining Australians:
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Made of Stars » Dec 14, 2011 9:58 pm

Onyx8 wrote:Image
"But, but, I swallowed..."

Just demonstrates the perils of playing with omnipotent sperm. :coffee:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Precambrian Rabbi » Dec 14, 2011 10:28 pm

"OMFG"
"...religion may attract good people but it doesn't produce them. And it draws in a lot of hateful nutjobs too..." AronRa
Precambrian Rabbi

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Virgin Mary's preg test

#13  Postby Elena » Dec 15, 2011 3:16 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Merged with pre-existing thread on the same topic.
Weaver.

New billboard depicts Virgin Mary holding a pregnancy test

A controversial new billboard shows the Virgin Mary holding a pregnancy test with a "positive" reading.
The billboard, called "Mary is in the pink," was purchased by the St. Matthews-in-the-City Church in Auckland, New Zealand.
Elena
RS Donator

Female

Print view this post

Re: Virgin Mary's preg test

#14  Postby Lucy Wiggin » Dec 15, 2011 3:20 am

That's just weird.
The dog barked at midnight.
Lucy Wiggin

Female

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Sovereign » Dec 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Then they should do a billboard of Joseph getting told that he is not the father.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby trubble76 » Dec 15, 2011 4:48 pm

And one of the uncle or whatever that fucked her, looking nervous.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Shrunk » Dec 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Here's one of their previous efforts:

I'm not sure what their objectives are, but I approve of their methods.

EDIT:

According to the accompanying story:

The church's vicar, Archdeacon Glynn Cardy, said the aim of the billboard had been to lampoon the literal interpretation of the Christmas conception story.

"What we're trying to do is to get people to think more about what Christmas is all about," he told the New Zealand Press Association (NZPA).

"Is it about a spiritual male God sending down sperm so a child would be born, or is it about the power of love in our midst as seen in Jesus?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8417963.stm
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby BrandySpears » Dec 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Good for them. Raising awareness of teen pregnancies.
BrandySpears

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Paul G » Dec 15, 2011 5:21 pm

"What we're trying to do is to get people to think more about what Christmas is all about," he told the New Zealand Press Association (NZPA).

"Is it about a spiritual male God sending down sperm so a child would be born, or is it about the power of love in our midst as seen in Jesus?"

Decoded: It's all bullshit, but lets not be cunts to each other.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Strontium Dog » Dec 15, 2011 5:46 pm

Sovereign wrote:Then they should do a billboard of Joseph getting told that he is not the father.

Please please please somebody Photoshop up a picture of Mary and Joseph getting DNA test results from Maury Povich.
If a liberal party does something, then that act, by definition, is a liberal one. The only alternative is that they are not a liberal party.

Someone earning £1m pa will pay £381k more tax on their income under the coalition than under Labour
Strontium Dog

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Christianity