Mass exorcism of schoolkids leaves many in hysterics

as priest attempts to 'banish the Devil'

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Mass exorcism of schoolkids leaves many in hysterics

#1  Postby DoctorE » Mar 31, 2015 9:09 am

Another Jesus camp
School children have been left screaming and sobbing after a priest carried out a mass exorcism on them at a religious camp.

The 1,000 young people, from schools in the town of Gryfice, north-western Poland, were attending the three-day camp to help “young people explore God and devote themselves to spiritual renewal through prayer”.

But instead of singing songs and praying, priest Tomas Wieczorek, 37, was more interested in exorcising their demons and replacing them with God.

Shocked mum Magda Rutkowska, 43, said: “On the first day he took a few of the children on stage and placed his hand on their foreheads one by one and started repeating ‘Holy Spirit, come. Holy Spirit, come.’

“Some of the children fainted while others started crying.”

When other students went to help their semi-conscious pals, the priest commanded them to stay still, adding: “God is entering their souls and banishing the Devil.”

Some children touched by the priest began screaming while others burst out into fits of laughter.

Continues: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news ... ny-5427998
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Mass exorcism of schoolkids leaves many in hysterics

#2  Postby Alan B » Mar 31, 2015 9:57 am

Ignorant bastard should be taken out and shot, or something...

Still, I believe Poland is a majority Katlick country, so what else would you expect?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Mar 31, 2015 10:12 am

Alan B wrote:Ignorant bastard should be taken out and shot, or something...

Still, I believe Poland is a majority Katlick country, so what else would you expect?

I'm from a majority Katlick country and I've never experienced anything like that in school :dunno:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan B » Mar 31, 2015 10:53 am

Different culture, perhaps?
Maybe the local priests think they can get away with anything. They're still living in the Dark Ages.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 31, 2015 11:17 am

Alan B wrote:Different culture, perhaps?
Maybe the local priests think they can get away with anything. They're still living in the Dark Ages.

In Poland definitely.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Briton » Mar 31, 2015 11:36 am

Apparently there are more people attending Catholic churches in the UK at the moment than there are worshippers at CoE churches due to the amount the Polish workers in Britain.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Alan B » Mar 31, 2015 11:43 am

Briton wrote:

Apparently there are more people attending Catholic churches in the UK at the moment than there are worshippers at CoE churches due to the amount the Polish workers in Britain.

Interesting. I wonder how they feel about the relative freedom from a priests interference compared to their home country. Perhaps that is one of the underlying reasons why they are in the UK.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Briton » Mar 31, 2015 12:56 pm

Alan B wrote:
Briton wrote:

Interesting. I wonder how they feel about the relative freedom from a priests interference compared to their home country. Perhaps that is one of the underlying reasons why they are in the UK.

No idea. I can only guess that most of them would be embarrassed by this as the Poles I've met seem pretty ordinary people. I think the vast majority of them are here for one reason only, to make more money than they could at home.

Good to see that many of the kids burst out laughing. Good on 'em.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Zwaarddijk » Mar 31, 2015 1:10 pm

Briton wrote:
Alan B wrote:
Briton wrote:

No idea. I can only guess that most of them would be embarrassed by this as the Poles I've met seem pretty ordinary people. I think the vast majority of them are here for one reason only, to make more money than they could at home.

Good to see that many of the kids burst out laughing. Good on 'em.

The laughing can be a panicked reaction as well, not just them merely being perplexed and amused.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Alan B » Mar 31, 2015 1:55 pm

Zwaarddijk wrote:The laughing can be a panicked reaction as well, not just them merely being perplexed and amused.

True. Now, if the kids were pointing the finger and going "na na nana na", then that would be true derision - which is what that idiot deserved.

Edit. But then, of course, the idiot would immediately turn and say the kids are possessed by the devil...
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby epepke » Mar 31, 2015 6:13 pm

I hear atheists say that religion is about having an imaginary friend. However, it's even more about having imaginary enemies. Even Buddhism does this.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby John Platko » Mar 31, 2015 8:05 pm

:nono: A simple exorcism should suffice to clear up his issues.

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby The Serpent » Mar 31, 2015 8:40 pm

I don't think has so much to do with Poland -- consider the reaction of the parents -- as is does with the priest.

I can't say for certain but I wouldn't be surprised if this fellow is part of the reactionary "traditionalist" movement that has arisen in the RC in response to the liturgical reforms that followed from Vatican II. He's certainly the right age.

Prior to 1973 or 74 there were numerous "minor orders" (not to be confused with religious orders) to which men could be ordained. The "major orders" were sub-deacon, deacon, priest and bishop. The minor orders were acolyte, porter, lector and exorcist. Men discerning a clerical vocation would be ordained progressively to these orders.

Paul VI suppressed sub-deacon, and the minor orders for the Western church though some of the traditionalist organisations like the Priestly Society of St Paul (FSSP) and the Institute of Christ the King, Sovereign Priest (ICRSS) are still permitted to ordain men to these orders.

So every catholic priest, deacon and bishop was (is) an exorcist and during the sacrament of baptism an exorcism was explicitly performed. I'm not sure if it's still part of the baptismal rite. The effect of Paul VI's reform was, certainly, to de-emphasise the role of exorcism for catholics.

Exorcisms are still performed by catholic clergy and have become more popular in recent years, but generally speaking the practice is strictly controlled by local bishops. I'm not sure what the arrangements in Poland are, however.

Even though any priest can perform an exorcism, he must have permission (called "faculties" in Rome-speak) from the local diocesean bishop to do so lawfully. It would be very unusual -- even in Poland -- for some 30 something priest to be allowed to don stole and biretta and start driving the devil out of small children on an impromptu basis.
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity