More Christian denominations than bible verses

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

More Christian denominations than bible verses

#1  Postby Dolorian » Nov 04, 2014 8:03 pm

Fun Fact: There are more Christian denominations today than there are bible verses

There are around 31,103 verses in the bible whereas there are nearly 40,000 Christian denominations. Doubt there has been any book or subject in history that has sowed so much confusion.

And it just keeps splitting and splitting, it is something that I think is inherent in the religion itself. Even during the time of Paul they were already creating sects. I think one of the main reasons for this is that religious epistemology is simply inadequate to settle anything.

Source for the number of denominations: http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm
Number of verses in the bible: http://www.deafmissions.com/tally/bkchptrvrs.html
Dolorian

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: More Christian denominations than bible verses

#2  Postby _2501_ » Nov 04, 2014 8:49 pm

I find that quite interesting. No doubt as time goes on there will continue to be more and more sects, particularly as they try desperately in vain to sell their brand to an increasingly secular society.

Dolorian wrote:
I think one of the main reasons for this is that religious epistemology is simply inadequate to settle anything.

It is true that religious epistemology is grossly inadequate, but I don't know if I would consider that the main reason. All the other religions (i.e. Islam, Buddhism, etc.) don't have anywhere near the amount of denominations that Christianity has. I personally think it has more to do with historical reasons. For sure, when the Roman Empire broke up, Christianity became wedded to various national states, kingdoms, and ideologies that succeeded it, and since they all competed with each other they no doubt found ways to differentiate their brand of Christianity from that of their rivals. The Reformation and later modern nationalism no doubt contributed to the formation of more denominations. Europe historically never was united, and thus it is logical to assume that the religion wouldn't be either.

If you take the the example of Islam however, for much of the Middle and Early Modern ages there were only ever 2 or 3 huge empires to represent it (i.e. the Ottomans, Persian, etc.). The same would hold for Confucianism, which was just basically a cover for China, and Hinduism was the state ideology for India, etc. Thus, there aren't very many branches or denominations in those religions (Islam has a total of 3 branches i.e. Sunni, Shia, and Sufi. Buddism can pretty much be differentiated by whatever nation state it happens to reside in. And so on).
_2501_

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Zwaarddijk » Nov 04, 2014 8:54 pm

Dolorian wrote:Fun Fact: There are more Christian denominations today than there are bible verses

There are around 31,103 verses in the bible whereas there are nearly 40,000 Christian denominations. Doubt there has been any book or subject in history that has sowed so much confusion.

And it just keeps splitting and splitting, it is something that I think is inherent in the religion itself. Even during the time of Paul they were already creating sects. I think one of the main reasons for this is that religious epistemology is simply inadequate to settle anything.

Source for the number of denominations: http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm
Number of verses in the bible: http://www.deafmissions.com/tally/bkchptrvrs.html

Having looked into this number, it's funny how purely administrative divisions are counted as separate denominations. The way the 40 000 number is reached is by adding Swedish Catholics as separate from Finnish Catholics as separate from American catholics as separate from Polish Catholics, ... This is somewhat dishonest, really.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#4  Postby monkeyboy » Nov 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Zwaarddijk wrote:
Having looked into this number, it's funny how purely administrative divisions are counted as separate denominations. The way the 40 000 number is reached is by adding Swedish Catholics as separate from Finnish Catholics as separate from American catholics as separate from Polish Catholics, ... This is somewhat dishonest, really.

But when you factor in guys like Platko who are apparently Catliks but bear no resemblance to any other on the planet......could be many more.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Zwaarddijk » Nov 04, 2014 9:48 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
Zwaarddijk wrote:

But when you factor in guys like Platko who are apparently Catliks but bear no resemblance to any other on the planet......could be many more.

Well, that tells us that Catholicism permits some level of variety in beliefs among their members. Same goes for every religion to some extent, though!
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Arnold Layne » Nov 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Actually, I doubt if any one theist has exactly the same beliefs as another.
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Zwaarddijk » Nov 05, 2014 10:51 am

Arnold Layne wrote:Actually, I doubt if any one theist has exactly the same beliefs as another.

And even if two theists did have the exact same beliefs, how would we go about verifying this state of affairs?
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Arnold Layne » Nov 05, 2014 5:52 pm

Zwaarddijk wrote:
Arnold Layne wrote:Actually, I doubt if any one theist has exactly the same beliefs as another.

And even if two theists did have the exact same beliefs, how would we go about verifying this state of affairs?

Multiple choice questionnaire? :scratch:
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 05, 2014 6:41 pm

Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 05, 2014 6:43 pm

All I can say here schisms were before and just after WW2 the order of the day.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Zwaarddijk » Nov 05, 2014 10:21 pm

Arnold Layne wrote:
Zwaarddijk wrote:

Can we ever be sure we've covered every possible difference? Can we be sure the people we're asking have properly understood the questions we have asked? (Trust me on the last one - people are worse at reading comprehension than one could hope for!)
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Will S » Nov 07, 2014 10:30 am

I think that Coleridge put it extremely well. He said, or is supposed to have said:
I belong to that holy and infallible church of which, at the present time, I am the only member.
'To a thinking person, a paradox is what the smell of burning rubber is to an electrical engineer' - Sir Peter Medawar (adapted)
Will S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 07, 2014 7:47 pm

Will S wrote:I think that Coleridge put it extremely well. He said, or is supposed to have said:
I belong to that holy and infallible church of which, at the present time, I am the only member.

That seems to be the essence of it.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby Arnold Layne » Nov 07, 2014 10:08 pm

Zwaarddijk wrote:
Arnold Layne wrote:
Zwaarddijk wrote:

Can we ever be sure we've covered every possible difference? Can we be sure the people we're asking have properly understood the questions we have asked? (Trust me on the last one - people are worse at reading comprehension than one could hope for!)

No. That's the point, really.
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby archibald » Nov 30, 2014 1:29 pm

The implications of this are clear.

More bible verses are urgently needed.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby willhud9 » Dec 01, 2014 5:41 pm

archibald wrote:The implications of this are clear.

More bible verses are urgently needed.

"Thou shalt not fiddle the privates of prepubescent boys." ~Epistle of the Wandering Apostle, Chapter 3, Verse 25.

In unrelated news: What version of the Bible was used? Catholics have more books than Protestants and Orthodox have more books than Catholics.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post