Nuns walk out of school over LGBT anti-bullying event.

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Nuns walk out of school over LGBT anti-bullying event.

#1  Postby Shrunk » Apr 24, 2015 3:43 pm

The divisions within the Bay Area’s Catholic community over gay rights hit Marin Catholic High School full force the other day, when a group of nuns walked out of their classes to protest the sponsors of a program intended to protect gay and lesbian teens from bullying.

The five members of the Dominican Sisters of Mary order exited their classrooms Friday as students began handing out flyers at the Kentfield school promoting a nationwide Day of Silence.

Their walkout came one day after 100 prominent local Catholics attracted national attention by taking out a full-page ad in The Chronicle calling on the pope to oust Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone, in part for trying to get teachers at Catholic schools to sign off on a morality clause that characterizes homosexual relations as “gravely evil.”

Marin Catholic High President Tim Navone and Principal Chris Valdez tried to put out the latest brushfire with a letter to parents about “a challenging day on our campus resulting in both students and faculty feeling confused about our mission.”

At issue was Friday’s annual Day of Silence, promoted by the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network — whose corporate sponsors include McDonald’s, Target, Disney/ABC, Wells Fargo, Morgan Stanley, Google and the NBA. It bills itself as a group of “students, parents, and teachers that tries to effect positive change in schools,” but the nuns at Marin Catholic High see it as anti-Catholic....

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/mati ... 214898.php
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Nuns walk out of school over LGBT anti-bullying event.

#2  Postby Matthew Shute » Apr 24, 2015 3:58 pm

So, a gaggle of neurotic, homophobic harpies storm off in protest at efforts to spread awareness about the effects of bullying people over their sexuality. Who would've thunk?

The Day of Silence is the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network's (GLSEN) annual day of action to spread awareness about the effects of the bullying and harassment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) students and their supporters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_Silence
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Matthew Shute » Apr 26, 2015 6:57 pm

This is a few days old now, but, in related news...

A Pennsylvania high school has come under media scrutiny after a group of students organized an "Anti-Gay Day" in response to the nationally-observed Day of Silence.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/2 ... 01046.html

I, for one, fully respect their right to broadcast to the world what tiny-minded morons they are; but I'm surprised the school allowed it to go ahead, on site, during school hours. And of course I don't respect these idiots using their "Anti-Gay Day" to bully people, as was alleged:

"We came into school on Thursday and found a lot of people wearing flannel and we couldn’t figure out why,” Zoe Johnson, a 16-year-old McGuffey High School who identifies as bisexual, told BuzzFeed's David Mack. "People started getting pushed and notes were left on people’s lockers. ...I got called a dyke, a faggot. They were calling us every horrible name you can think of."
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#4  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 23, 2015 3:03 am

It's what Jesus would do.

He always got a chuckle over making outsiders feel unwanted and unloved. Silly Jesus.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Moonwatcher » Jun 24, 2015 8:37 pm

If I was a kid, I'd be going, "No class today. Oh wait. There never was."

My father went to a Catholic school. From him and other people, I've heard enough horror stories that I just hope those nuns never return and they close the school.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby THWOTH » Jun 25, 2015 7:50 am

These people have no class.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity