Orthodox Christianity

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Orthodox Christianity

#21  Postby Leucius Charinus » May 12, 2016 2:51 am

In your OP you wrote:

Just wanted to know if any you guys have any thoughts on Orthodox Christianity in terms of if its the "original" church but the origins of Christianity are very dubious if not just simply fabricated what makes it any different to any other form of Christianity?

You seem to be looking for the "original" or the "Universal Church" of the Christian variety before the rule of Constantine in the 4th century and the political appearance of the Nicene Church.

Personally, I don't think you will find one outside of this voluminous "Ecclesiastical History" of Eusebius. And as a result I believe the origins of Christianity have been fabricated.

Fabrication of pseudo-historical documents and manuscripts by the church organisation is known to have occurred in practically every century from the 4th down through the middle ages (while they were running the inquisitions) and through to recent times.

The political church was utterly corrupt. Opposing armies fought in the streets of Rome in the 4th century to decide which commander would be the Big Bucks Bishop of Rome. It was a most prestigious, lucrative tax exempt monopoly business that had the backing of the "majestas" of the Christian Roman Emperors starting with Bullneck.
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. "

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 29, 2017 12:41 pm

Leucius Charinus wrote:Personally, I don't think you will find one outside of this voluminous "Ecclesiastical History" of Eusebius. And as a result I believe the origins of Christianity have been fabricated.

If it was all pure fabrication, why did the NT come in four versions? (Originally five, I believe, but one of them was by a woman, so naturally had to be removed! :roll: )
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 30, 2017 7:37 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Leucius Charinus wrote:Personally, I don't think you will find one outside of this voluminous "Ecclesiastical History" of Eusebius. And as a result I believe the origins of Christianity have been fabricated.

If it was all pure fabrication, why did the NT come in four versions? (Originally five, I believe, but one of them was by a woman, so naturally had to be removed! :roll: )

So I guess you don't welcome the observation that humans like to take the same story and re-tell it. Even if there was only one version, it would not be original. It has some embellishments, but that's what re-tellers of stories try to add.

If you think it wasn't pure fabrication, come up with a better reason than that people evidently liked re-telling that story. Your best bet is to identify the embellishments that give it the ring of truth. That should be fun and keep you busy for awhile. Don't worry: Somebody has already done this, so you can just cite their arguments instead of trying to pass yourself off as a bible scholar with the kind of pap you've written up there.

This doesn't mean you're wrong, but you cannot hope to develop a definitive argument of your own at this stage of the game. People have been trying to do this for centuries, and have not succeeded in eliminating skepticism from people who understand the nature of storytelling.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity