Pagan witnesses to the historicity of "Christians"

Prior to the Christian Revolution of the 4th century

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Pagan witnesses to the historicity of "Christians"

#141  Postby Leucius Charinus » Sep 18, 2017 4:32 am

Tracer Tong wrote:I'm still interested in what arguments you have for thinking the Meditations reference is probably interpolated.

The arguments are those of the translators who I have earlier cited, and who think the reference to be an interpolation. This does not yet include the arguments of PA Brunt. The situation here is that there have been "challenges" to the evaluation of authenticity with the Meditations reference. OTOH with Lucian however ...

Also, when you refer to the Christian references in Lucian, what do you mean by "unchallenged"?

Simply that, to my knowledge, no one has questioned the authenticity of these in Lucian.
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. "

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#142  Postby Tracer Tong » Sep 18, 2017 10:36 am

Leucius Charinus wrote:
Tracer Tong wrote:I'm still interested in what arguments you have for thinking the Meditations reference is probably interpolated.

The arguments are those of the translators who I have earlier cited, and who think the reference to be an interpolation. This does not yet include the arguments of PA Brunt. The situation here is that there have been "challenges" to the evaluation of authenticity with the Meditations reference.

But the only argument I recall was that the text is ungrammatical, which isn't an argument you were able to defend. But since I can tell you it isn't ungrammatical (and Brunt, among others, agrees with me), and other scholars don't contest the reference's authenticity more generally, it's not clear why you're not, as I am, undecided about it, instead of thinking it probably an interpolation.
Тебя прощают. Не будут больше подавать платок.
Tracer Tong

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#143  Postby Leucius Charinus » Sep 19, 2017 2:34 am

I will change the entry to:

170-180 Marcus Aurelius - Meditations 11:3 [%Possible interpolation]
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. "

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity