palaeography & C14 as dating methodologies

Expression of dates and their error bounds

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

palaeography & C14 as dating methodologies

#1  Postby Leucius Charinus » Aug 21, 2015 1:17 am

There has been much discussion on the relative merits of palaeography & C14 as dating methodologies, but not a great deal specifically about the expression of dates and their error bounds. IMO both methodologies are useful in order to make available further independent data for analysis. They both have their strong points and both have their weak points.

Perhaps a list of these should be compiled.

Is palaeography an art or a science?
Can a good forger fool a palaeographer?
Can C14 tests be contaminated?

What are the error bounds of a C14 date?
What are the error bounds of a palaeographically derived date?

dejuror wrote:
duvduv wrote:Dejuror, we both know that history is not an exact science at all, and relies on inferences and approximations. We also both know that paleography is not an exact science, and must be seen in light of other factors.
Was the handwriting an older one used to backdate a text?
How old is the parchment and was it reused?
Was the source of the parchment from older supplies where parchment was a valuable commodity?
What is the window of the paleographic analysis? Fifty years? A hundred years?
Was the parchment and ink carbon dated? For that matter, was the ink a preserved variety that was used later?
And with all that for each and every fragment, we still must remember that history is not objective like chemistry in a blood test or urine test. History cannot be reproduced in a laboratory.

Paleography was not developed by Christians just to date Christian writings.

Science itself is NOT an exact Science.

Scientific theories are developed from the EXISTING data.

Anyone who is familiar with the field of Science would know that Scientific theories may be discarded or modified when NEW Data is collected.

What is the historical DATA that you have collected to show the Romans initiated the Jesus cult since you REJECT Paleography??

Please, tell us what kind of Laboratory can reproduce what you believe about the Romans and the Jesus cult??
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. "

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: palaeography & C14 as dating methodologies

#2  Postby Leucius Charinus » Aug 21, 2015 1:25 am

Please, tell us what kind of Laboratory can reproduce what you believe about the Romans and the Jesus cult??

The Radiocarbon Unit at the University of Arizona performed a C14 test on a number of fragments of the Gospel of Judas in the year 2005. The final results of this test are not yet been released into the public domain because, from what I understand to be disclosure agreements in place between the scientific team and National Geographic, who sponsored the publicity about the Gospel of Judas text translated from the Coptic for the first time widespread publication 2006 CE.

That was ten years ago. What were the results of the tests? The Gospel of Judas is about at least one Jesus Cult. WHo wrote it? When was it written? How is it dated?
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

Re: palaeography & C14 as dating methodologies

#3  Postby Leucius Charinus » Aug 22, 2015 5:57 am

The Saga of the C14 dating results on the Gospel of Judas

The latest news according to Peter Kirby is a 2014 paper on “Carbon Dating and the Gospel of Judas” by Christian Askeland delivered before the SBL at San Diego. Peter Kirby further reports ...

[Added March 10, 2015. Christian Askeland has given us a blog post update at Evangelical Textual Criticism, including this exciting quote from that blog post: “The National Geographic Society granted the Arizona AMS laboratory permission to send me the actual results, and I am publishing an update on the dating of the Tchacos Codex based on the findings.” Also, “The lab had six test results.”]

See Radiometric Dating of the Gospel of Judas by Christian Askeland (10 March 2015) ...

http://evangelicaltextualcriticism.blog ... judas.html

"My estimation following Peter Head’s thesis leaves a radiometric result in the late third through the end of the fourth century."

The palaeographers seemed to have preferred a 4th century date for this Coptic text of the Gospel of Judas.

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

Return to Christianity