People support gay marriage because of "heterosexual guilt."

Says theologian

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

People support gay marriage because of "heterosexual guilt."

#1  Postby Shrunk » Mar 21, 2015 9:43 pm

I don't follow how that's supposed to work. If I feel guilty for having premarital sex, it'll go away if gay people get married? Huh?

(Courtesy of Ed Brayton.)
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: People support gay marriage because of "heterosexual guilt."

#2  Postby Moridin » Mar 21, 2015 10:33 pm

“A lot of heterosexuals have, you know, we’ve not done all that well in some areas of sexual ethics,” he said. “That includes issues of divorce, remarriage, that includes premarital sex, includes abortion. And if you can give a pass on the issue of homosexual practice, in effect it’s a way of exempting our own guilt, and it’s accommodating in a way that’s self-serving.”

So?

That is just an argumentum ad hominem circumstantial fallacy. Not even worth serious consideration.
Moridin

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby epepke » Mar 22, 2015 2:27 am

Shrunk wrote:

I don't follow how that's supposed to work.

Some people were simply dropped on their heads as babies.

Whereas they should have been thrown with great force.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby felltoearth » Mar 22, 2015 2:34 am

Is that why I cry after having sex?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thommo » Mar 22, 2015 2:39 am

Well, it's either his reason or that people have sons and daughters, brothers, sisters, friends or other family whom they care about and who are gay and come to see that they are people who think, feel, laugh and love just like everyone else and that this realisation leads to a belief that discriminating serves no purpose but to make these people they care about unhappy and so isn't really such a terribly good idea.

Take your pick. :dunno:
Thommo

Print view this post

#6  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 22, 2015 3:40 am

I'll take his reason. What you said just sounds ridiculous, Thommo.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 22, 2015 5:00 am

“A lot of heterosexuals have, you know, we’ve not done all that well in some areas of sexual ethics,” he said. “That includes issues of divorce, remarriage, that includes premarital sex, includes abortion.

All of which are things that people were once taught were just wrong, but most people haven't seen it that way for decades now. Gay marriage is just next in line, no guilt involved.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Thommo » Mar 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:I'll take his reason. What you said just sounds ridiculous, Thommo.

Marry me.
Thommo

Print view this post

#9  Postby Shrunk » Mar 22, 2015 3:05 pm

This Dr. Robert Gagnon is an associate professor at something called "Pittsburgh Theological Seminary." I"m starting to realize that any institute of learning whose name included the word "theological" is somethng quite different from a university.

His website is also just a notch above that of Timecube Guy's:

http://www.robgagnon.net/ArticlesOnline.htm

I guess Jesus hates competent web design almost as much as he hates the gays. And Dr. Gagnon hates the gays a lot. He can't seem to stop thinking and writing about them.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 22, 2015 3:07 pm

AFA has a channel?? I'm glad people stuck in the 50's have something to watch besides Fox News :lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 22, 2015 11:15 pm

Anyone know a good heterosexual lifestyle guru?
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 22, 2015 11:18 pm

And once again they present conspiracy theories about the cultural elite that somehow magically manages to overrule media popular ratings in favor of the gay agenda. :crazy:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Pulsar » Mar 22, 2015 11:32 pm

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Spinozasgalt » Mar 23, 2015 12:27 am

Thommo wrote:
Spinozasgalt wrote:I'll take his reason. What you said just sounds ridiculous, Thommo.

Marry me.

Fine. But only if it relieves a heterosexual's feelings of guilt. Who here would like less guilt?
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Oldskeptic » Mar 23, 2015 1:55 am

I get the feeling that the host, Prictchard, pines for the good old days in 'merica when homosexuals could not only be ostracized but arrested, beaten, and even killed without good Christians having to worry about the consequences.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby laklak » Mar 23, 2015 2:58 am

5 gets you 10 he'll get caught with his cock in a rent boy.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Oldskeptic » Mar 23, 2015 4:10 am

laklak wrote:5 gets you 10 he'll get caught with his cock in a rent boy.

That thought crossed my mind also. For both of them.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 23, 2015 8:00 am

All too often, the anti-LGBT bigots are cut from the same cloth as the assorted life forms in the past, who wore bedsheets with eyeholes, and spent their weekends setting fire to black people. They're effectively redirected slave state racists, who have learned the hard lesson that venting their real hatred for black people makes them as popular as rabies outside their own narrow demographic. Consequently, they shifted to hating the LGBT community, thinking that this was a safe target to dump their hate upon, only to find that, whoops, it isn't any more.

These redirected slave state racists, and individuals of similar ilk elsewhere, quite simply cannot live without having something to hate. Their entire lives are based upon hate, and because of this, they gravitate gleefully toward fire-and-brimstone versions of Christianity that are light on the compassion and forgiveness message of the New Testament, whilst being heavy on Old Testament style smiting and mass slaughter. It's why these lumpens revel in the likes of Leviticus and Deuteronomy, two utterly rancid books that are seething with hatred from cover to cover, because these books provide a veneer of faux legitimacy to the hatreds being harboured, and fuel the Torquemada wannabee fantasies of the various polydactylous inbreeds whose natural ideological homes include racism and quasi-fascist jingiostic nationalism. Just as they lap up nationalist sectarianism as another source of ideological glucose for their hate glands, they marinate themselves in fundamentalist religion to provide the proteins and vitamins, until the malignant growth of those hate glands takes them through their own snit event horizons, and they become suppurating, pustular, black holes of hate.

What makes the malignancy even more pathological, is when the inheritors of hate glands discover one or more horrible truths about themselves, placing them within any of the groupings they've been taught to hate by their peers. Which, of course, they have to hide from said peers, and the only mechanism available to them, is to ratchet up the hate to Spinal Tap 11 levels in as Pharisaically visible a manner as possible. A strategy that comes unstuck whenever irresistible urges result in actions that are diametrically opposed to the hate creed assimilated over the years.

Which leads me to wonder, in turn, not only about latent and heavily suppressed gay tendencies in homophobic bigots, but whether the masturbatorily obsessive level of proselytising by creationists points to an internal crisis lurking within, and a desperate display in order to hide the imminent yet currently secret abandonment of that creed?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity