Peter Wehner, God and mass violence.

Response to Dobson's response to Newton

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Peter Wehner, God and mass violence.

#1  Postby willhud9 » Dec 29, 2012 1:31 am

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/philosophicalfragments/2012/12/21/callous-theology-of-james-dobson/

Some Christian conservatives seemingly cannot help themselves. They have to try to find some deep theological explanation for the evil we witness in places like Newtown, Connecticut. But often in doing so, they injure the very faith they seek to represent. 
The latest example is by Focus on the Family founder James Dobson, who, in speaking about the events at Sandy Hook Elementary School, said this:
I mean millions of people have decided that God doesn’t exist, or he’s irrelevant to me, and we have killed fifty-four million babies and the institution of marriage is right on the verge of a complete redefinition. Believe me, that is going to have consequences too.
And a lot of these things are happening around us, and somebody is going to get mad at me for saying what I am about to say right now, but I am going to give you my honest opinion: I think we have turned our back on the Scripture and on God Almighty and I think he has allowed judgment to fall upon us. I think that’s what’s going on.
Let’s see if we can untangle some of this, beginning with this observation: In the New Testament, suffering and death are more often evidence of obedience than disobedience to God. When the Lord told Ananias to go to Straight Street and place his hands on Saul (later Paul) to restore Saul’s sight, the Lord said to Ananias, “This man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.” The two most important figures in Christianity – Jesus and St. Paul – died violent deaths (according to Christian tradition, Paul was beheaded by the Romans). So the effort to create a cause-and-effect – in this case, turning your back on God leads to mass shootings and violent death – is itself theologically misguided.

Very interesting. :popcorn:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Peter Wehner, God and mass violence.

#2  Postby Onyx8 » Dec 29, 2012 1:44 am

Just more evidence that you can get anything you want to out of the Bible, and that there really isn't anything in it to begin with.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity