Pope Francis Credited With Performing 'Miracle'

As St. Gennaro's Blood Liquifies

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Pope Francis Credited With Performing 'Miracle'

#1  Postby DoctorE » Mar 25, 2015 1:25 pm

:insane:
Pope Francis is being credited with a miracle -- or at least a "half miracle" -- after St. Gennaro's blood liquified in his presence in Naples on Saturday.

The saint's blood is usually dry inside of its sealed glass ampoule. However, after the pope kissed the relic, it began to turn to liquid.

“It is the sign that St. Gennaro loves Pope Francis: half of the blood turned to liquid," Cardinal Crescenzo Sepe, archbishop of Naples, told the cheering crowd, according to Vatican Insider.

“If only half of it liquefied that means we still have work to do; we have to do better," the pontiff replied. "We have only half of the saint’s love.”

The website reports that the blood continued to liquefy until the entire contents of the ampoule had turned to liquid, causing some in the crowd to weep.

St. Gennaro, also known as St. Januarius, was the bishop of Naples until he was martyred in 305 during persecution under the Roman Emperor Diocletian, Aleteia reports. In those days, it was common for Christians to collect the blood of their martyrs and keep it in the catacombs with the corpse of the deceased. The presence of the blood is an indication that the person had died a martyr, the website said.

The faithful believe St. Gennaro's blood liquifies three times a year if they pray enough: on the saint's feast day of Sept. 19, on the Saturday before

Continues: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/2 ... 20624.html
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Pope Francis Credited With Performing 'Miracle'

#2  Postby babel » Mar 25, 2015 1:27 pm

I wonder who and on what ground decided that blood liquefying meant that the saint loves the pope. Could be the opposite just as well, surely?
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 25, 2015 1:54 pm

If he wants sainthood he has to get a couple of miracles under his belt. :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Arcanyn » Mar 25, 2015 2:08 pm

What a very helpful miracle - I'm sure it stopped lots of children from dying of starvation.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Varangian » Mar 25, 2015 3:53 pm

I heard about this years ago...

Thixotropy has been proposed as a scientific explanation of blood liquefaction miracles such as that of Saint Januarius in Naples.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#6  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 25, 2015 4:41 pm

I don't want to show off, but some ice liquefied in my presence tonight.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 25, 2015 4:47 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:I don't want to show off, but some ice liquefied in my presence tonight.

A miracle!
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Nebogipfel » Mar 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Brings a new meaning to the phrase "blood curdling"... :shock:
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby epepke » Mar 25, 2015 7:08 pm

Thixo...
Thixotropic
That's what's in the jar.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby zerne » Mar 25, 2015 7:31 pm

I wonder if any of these so-called miracle bloods have been analysed? I suspect not, and what we are seeing is a crystalline chemical that becomes fluid under a temperature change or through agitation, and what these religious gonks are calling miraculous is simply a parlour trick.
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby NamelessFaceless » Mar 25, 2015 7:32 pm

I don't know, but gross!
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Skinny Puppy » Mar 25, 2015 9:26 pm

Arcanyn wrote:What a very helpful miracle - I'm sure it stopped lots of children from dying of starvation.

You seem to forget that Jesus appears on toast too. :naughty:
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 25, 2015 9:34 pm

babel wrote:I wonder who and on what ground decided that blood liquefying meant that the saint loves the pope. Could be the opposite just as well, surely?

It's black magic. I say burn him as a witch.

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Blackadder » Mar 25, 2015 9:57 pm

What a fucking shit miracle that is. He's the bloody Poop. We expect premium quality Harrods miracles not some crappy conjuring trick bought from the 99p Store. Poor business strategy there from the RCC.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby epepke » Mar 25, 2015 10:09 pm

zerne wrote:I wonder if any of these so-called miracle bloods have been analysed?

I don't know if they've been able to wrest any from their greedy little hands, but it's easy to make thixotropic stuff from commonly available minerals that have been used as paint pigments for millennia.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 25, 2015 11:02 pm

</miracle>
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Nebogipfel » Mar 26, 2015 7:07 am

Blackadder wrote:What a fucking shit miracle that is. He's the bloody Poop. We expect premium quality Harrods miracles not some crappy conjuring trick bought from the 99p Store. Poor business strategy there from the RCC.

As Sir Terry put it: When the people are expecting a stallion, hooves may be found on an ant
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby monkeyboy » Mar 26, 2015 7:41 am

Arcanyn wrote:What a very helpful miracle - I'm sure it stopped lots of children from dying of starvation.

Oh stop it!! They have to start somewhere. Even Harry Potter started off simple with an amusing levitation charm long before he was ready to do battle with the evil Lord Voldemort. I'm sure the pope will be progressing towards something erm..... vaguely useful even as we gape agog at this stunning feat he has performed!
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity