Question about Bible/Jesus birth

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Question about Bible/Jesus birth

#1  Postby OgreMkV » Mar 05, 2010 2:48 pm

This may sound odd and I know the Bible isn't real good at keeping up.

What ever happened to the gold, frankicense, and myrrh that was given to baby jesus by the wise men?

Those were very valuable items at the time and I suspect that the wise men didn't just give an ounce of each (though I have no evidence for thinking this).

Does anyone have any information about this or did the riches just vanish into the pages of time?
Even if you disprove evolution, it does not mean that ID or your religion is correct.
OgreMkV

Male

Print view this post

Re: Question about Bible/Jesus birth

#2  Postby Sween » Mar 05, 2010 3:02 pm

There's no account of that which I'm aware of. Matthew is the only Gospel which refers to the wise men, and it only talks about the gifts in that one passage.
Sween

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Apollonius » Mar 05, 2010 11:26 pm

Almost certainly made up. The birth narratives in the NT are completely different, which means they were just stories.
Healing the sick, casting out demons, and raising the dead since the first century...
Apollonius

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Sween » Mar 06, 2010 5:56 am

Apollonius wrote:Almost certainly made up. The birth narratives in the NT are completely different, which means they were just stories.

The events on which two or three of the synoptic gospels agree are more likely historical, but those which are not multiply attested in this way may not be.
Sween

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mephistopheles » Mar 06, 2010 6:13 am

I agree with the rest. The visit was likely made up.

But, working under the assumption that the story is true: the gifts were symbolic (gold = Jesus' kingship, frankincense = Jesus' divinity, myrrh = Jesus' mortality/sacrifice), so I don't see any reason why the three wise men would bring any more than to get their message across. The gift would be in the meaning of the gold, not its net worth. So I'd say, they probably didn't bring much and what little there was likely didn't last long.
Mephistopheles

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Wiðercora » Mar 06, 2010 10:32 am

Mary and Joseph sold them and put the money in a building society, which is where 'Jesus Saves' comes from. The message has been horribly corrupted from one of sensible banking to one of eternal salvation.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity