Quick question about Pentecostal attitude to mental illness

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Quick question about Pentecostal attitude to mental illness

#1  Postby fretmeister » Mar 03, 2010 10:02 am

I can't say a lot because it is sub judis, but

Do Pentecostal's accept that mental illness / conditions are just a defect in a organ of the body as any other, or is there resistance to that idea somehow?

I have an ongoing case where the reaction of some parties is unfathomable to say the least.

Thanks
Reason Above All

"There's no god up here" - Yuri Gagarin. 1961.

When you have eliminated the possible, whatever remains, however popular, is bullshit. - Professor Brian Cox
fretmeister

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#2  Postby MrMiyagi » Mar 03, 2010 1:00 pm

I can't speak for all of the pentecostals, but from the brief time I worshipped with them I suspect they would seek a spiritual cause for the illness first rather than suspect an underlying medical cause. Doctors and real medicine were looked on as something inferior, a last resort if the prayer and olive oil didn't help.
I'd choose Heaven for the weather and Hell for the company...
MrMiyagi

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Quick question about Pentecostal attitude to mental illn

#3  Postby Skinny Puppy » Mar 04, 2010 2:05 pm

I spent the first 20 years of my life as a born again Pentecostal. We truly believed this:

Mark 11:24 King James Bible
Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

We shortened it to:

Whatever you ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive.

However, you had to be a true believer, you had to be born again and you have to be filled with the holy spirit. If you met those conditions, then yes, you could be cured.

However, if you weren’t cured (even if you were a true believer) then it wasn’t god’s will. That didn’t mean he was saying no to you or that verse above wasn’t true, it simply meant that he had a higher purpose for your life and you had to accept that he had wonderful plans for you in this life and you would have to put your personal needs and wants aside in order to better serve him.

That didn’t by any means disallow the use of doctors or the medical profession. They worked god’s wonders and it was through god that diseases were cured. So if prayer failed (or appeared to) and you went to a doctor and were subsequently cured, then that was still done by god and your prayer was answered. His method of curing you was through medicine and doctors, and of course, your prayer was answered.

To us it didn’t matter how god cured you as long as you were cured.

And again, if you weren’t cured, then it was god’s will and his will takes precedence over ours. We’d accept the result either way and still praise god.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Quick question about Pentecostal attitude to mental illn

#4  Postby Skinny Puppy » Mar 04, 2010 2:42 pm

fretmeister wrote:

<snip>
Do Pentecostal's accept that mental illness / conditions are just a defect in a organ of the body as any other, or is there resistance to that idea somehow?

<snip>

Thanks

Sorry, I was doing too many things at once here….

I should have added this.

A person with a mental problem may not be able to pray and ask for a cure. That still wouldn’t be a problem. The born again, holy spirit-filled members of the congregation can pray for them and ask for a cure.

Nobody was looked down upon because of bodily afflictions whether physical or mental because of this:

John 9: 1-3 KJV

1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity