Religions are fairy tales for adults. Should we encourage th

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Religions are fairy tales for adults. Should we encourage th

#41  Postby Greatest I am » Aug 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Thommo wrote:There's no such thing. Dressing it up in deliberately obfuscatory language only makes it more clear that this is a snake oil pitch.

Not to someone who is a seeker. If he would think as you do, I would just have him go have a look at the Vatican's Michelangelo's creation painting the clearly shoes God sitting in the right hemisphere of the brain and also have him look at the Egyptian eye that is also a representation of the brain.

I have not invented anything new and if it is snake oil then it is old snake oil.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Banned User

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 05, 2015 9:01 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
Thommo wrote:There's no such thing. Dressing it up in deliberately obfuscatory language only makes it more clear that this is a snake oil pitch.

Not to someone who is a seeker.

The emperor is butt naked GIA.

Greatest I am wrote: If he would think as you do, I would just have him go have a look at the Vatican's Michelangelo's creation painting the clearly shoes God sitting in the right hemisphere of the brain and also have him look at the Egyptian eye that is also a representation of the brain.

:picard:

Greatest I am wrote:I have not invented anything new and if it is snake oil then it is old snake oil.

Regards
DL

Still snake oil, ie bullshit.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Greatest I am » Aug 05, 2015 9:04 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Er, yeah, um, if we're trying dissuade people from believing Bedouin folk tales and similar fairy-tales and cherry picking the bits from them that they think support their positions, might it not be an idea to practice what you preach?

There is a fair bit of wisdom in the ancient gospels.

Name one original example.

Greatest I am wrote:I see nothing wrong in using what frees man while ignoring what churches use to enslave man.

You should follow what follows.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Regards
DL

A maxim that looooooong predates Thessalonians.

Original? I did not say original.

I think the bible to be a consolidation of many older belief systems and myths.

I would be hard pressed to find anything original in it.

The serpent being evil might be as that is a reversal of what the Jews and many other traditions gave. Serpent cults flourished all over the Middle East, Jewry and up into Europe and British isles.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Banned User

Print view this post

#44  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 05, 2015 9:06 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
BlackBart wrote:

Er, yeah, um, if we're trying dissuade people from believing Bedouin folk tales and similar fairy-tales and cherry picking the bits from them that they think support their positions, might it not be an idea to practice what you preach?

Name one original example.

Greatest I am wrote:I see nothing wrong in using what frees man while ignoring what churches use to enslave man.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Test all things; hold fast what is good.

Regards
DL

A maxim that looooooong predates Thessalonians.

Original? I did not say original.

Yet you follow Christian texts and not Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist etc texts. Why?

Greatest I am wrote:I think the bible to be a consolidation of many older belief systems and myths.

Only Judaic and other regional religions, not other religions form other parts of the world.

Greatest I am wrote:I would be hard pressed to find anything original in it.

The serpent being evil might be as that is a reversal of what the Jews and many other traditions gave. Serpent cults flourished all over the Middle East, Jewry and up into Europe and British isles.

Regards
DL

Irrelevant rambling.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 05, 2015 9:06 pm

Also, your continued failure to adress my other points, has been noted.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Greatest I am » Aug 05, 2015 9:08 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:[
Why is it wrong to believe in talking snakes and donkeys but not in gods?

I think it is wrong to believe in any supernatural God or entity.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Banned User

Print view this post

#47  Postby Thommo » Aug 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Greatest I am wrote:

Not to someone who is a seeker. If he would think as you do, I would just have him go have a look at the Vatican's Michelangelo's creation painting the clearly shoes God sitting in the right hemisphere of the brain and also have him look at the Egyptian eye that is also a representation of the brain.

I have not invented anything new and if it is snake oil then it is old snake oil.

Regards
DL

No, you certainly haven't invented anything new. The inspiration for Michelangelo's paintings weren't your views, they aren't evidence of enlightenment, there have been great, inspirational uplifting artists of all faiths and of none.

You talk about "seekers" but direct them away from truth. You aren't seeking anything or actually encouraging anyone to seek anything, you're indulging your own beliefs and providing fodder for your ego. You say your message isn't for me, well that's just fine, don't talk to me then, I'm quite happy with the arrangement. What I will keep doing is pointing to the utter vacuity of your posts in case there are bystanders who want to learn the truth. This emperor has no clothes on. You don't become a shepherd by following the shepherd, as you recommended - we all know perfectly well who follows shepherds.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 05, 2015 9:12 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:[
Why is it wrong to believe in talking snakes and donkeys but not in gods?

I think it is wrong to believe in any supernatural God or entity.

Regards
DL

Then you're talking bollocks.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Greatest I am » Aug 05, 2015 9:20 pm

Thanks all.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Banned User

Print view this post

#50  Postby Shrunk » Aug 05, 2015 9:30 pm

Thommo wrote:I read that post four times. It made no sense on any of them.

Thanks for saving me the trouble. I feel a certain obligation to read posts that are direct responses to mine, but this one looked liked it was gong nowhere. Then seeing your post just below confirming this was like a lifeline. :thumbup:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 05, 2015 9:32 pm

Greatest I am wrote:Thanks all.

Regards
DL

Failure to adress the points made, has been noted.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Thommo » Aug 05, 2015 9:35 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Thommo wrote:I read that post four times. It made no sense on any of them.

Thanks for saving me the trouble. I feel a certain obligation to read posts that are direct responses to mine, but this one looked liked it was gong nowhere. Then seeing your post just below confirming this was like a lifeline. :thumbup:

Well, I feel mildly guilty for dissuading you now. You missed some interesting highlights, such as the advice not to be sheep, but instead be a shepherd by err, following the shpeherd Jesus. Like shepherds do. But don't be like a sheep.

What I am trying to convey to you by saying that you are a God in your own right is to be master of yourself and you need not be a sheep. You can, as Jesus says, pick up your burdens and responsibilities for your sins and follow his mind set. Be a shepherd. Lead by example.

And apparently the way to lead by example and not follow in the footsteps of others is to do as GIA suggests and call yourself God. Or something.
Thommo

Print view this post

#53  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 05, 2015 10:10 pm

Greatest I am wrote:

Well there's a seeker born every minute.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#54  Postby John Platko » Aug 06, 2015 12:31 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:

Well there's a seeker born every minute.

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#55  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 06, 2015 2:17 am

No no...

"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby BlackBart » Aug 06, 2015 7:16 am

Greatest I am wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
Should we encourage adults to recognize that their Gods are myth and adult fairy tales.

Are you a theist or atheist, GIA?

The definition of theist usually includes a belief in a creator God. That is not me.

The definition of theist also includes the belief in many Gods. That would be me but as I put above to Shrunk, I place no God above mankind unless we lesser Gods have elected him or her.

To do less would make me a slave to some other and I do not see me or mankind as created to be slaves to anything but what we have chosen to follow.

Regards
DL

That makes you a theist then. Unless by God you mean humans, in which case you're an atheist who is merely equivocating.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#57  Postby BlackBart » Aug 06, 2015 7:47 am

Greatest I am wrote:
BlackBart wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Nothing that can't be obtained from elsewhere.

I see nothing wrong in using what frees man while ignoring what churches use to enslave man.

Except you've got to use an inordinate amount of reasoning to extricate the few nuggets of truth that are self-evident from the incoherent and obscene drivel in the first place.

I already do as much as human fallibility allows, thanks. And the reasoning as to why I do required no input from bedouin mythology.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Leucius Charinus » Aug 07, 2015 8:52 am

Greatest I am wrote:Religions are fairy tales for adults. Should we encourage them to grow up?

See the second paragraph by Emperor Julian below. The very first independent political comment concerning the new State Religion of Christianity was formalised c.362 CE by the Emperor Julian who wrote that he thought that it was expedient that he write his convictions to all mankind. Julian's invectives 362 are re-examined in a new light:

It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind
    the reasons by which I was convinced that
    the fabrication of the Galilaeans (Christians)
    is a fiction of men composed by wickedness.

Though it has in it nothing divine,
    by making full use of that part of the soul
    which loves fable and is childish and foolish,
    it has induced men to believe
    that the monstrous tale is truth.

It should also be noted that all of the three major book religions

1) Judaism with the Hebrew Bible
2) Christianity with the NT Bible
3) Islam with the Quran

were each first implemented by supreme military commanders at the zenith of their military power in their respective empires and that each of these centralized monotheistic religions were focused on a 'holy writ'.

These three religions are the products of the racket of war, and are rackets in themselves.
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. "

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

#59  Postby willhud9 » Aug 12, 2015 4:29 am

It is just GIA making his rounds across the internet. Copying and pasting his same old messages. :yawn:

He preaches to the choir. Makes unsubstantiated assertions and then quietly slithers away like the snake on his profile picture (but at least Kaa in Disney's The Jungle Book was humourous).

Nothing new here people. I had wasted so much time sincerely addressing his previous posts until I finally caught on to his schemes. Don't be suckered in. :coffee:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#60  Postby BlackBart » Aug 12, 2015 7:59 am

As far as I'm concerned, the point of addressing GIA's incoherent bullshit isn't for GIA's benefit, it's to highlight that it is incoherent bullshit.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity