"Revisiting the Argument from Desire"

Is this the stupidest argument for God ever made?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: "Revisiting the Argument from Desire"

#201  Postby Agrippina » Apr 28, 2015 5:31 am

I don't have a desire for God. I have a desire for chocolate. Is it the same thing? :dunno:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#202  Postby John Platko » Apr 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Agrippina wrote:I don't have a desire for God. I have a desire for chocolate. Is it the same thing? :dunno:

Yes, but without the calories.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#203  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 28, 2015 11:08 pm

John Platko wrote:
Agrippina wrote:I don't have a desire for God. I have a desire for chocolate. Is it the same thing? :dunno:

Without anything in fact! :grin:

Apes including humans, are wired to be optimistic: the glass half-full P.O.V. Religious folks don't believe in glass half full, they believe an empty glass is full.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#204  Postby Agrippina » Apr 29, 2015 5:20 am

John Platko wrote:

What so God tastes like chocolate then? :shock:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#205  Postby Shrunk » Apr 29, 2015 1:31 pm

Agrippina wrote:What so God tastes like chocolate then? :shock:

Catholics tell me he tastes like stale bread.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#206  Postby John Platko » Apr 29, 2015 2:37 pm

Shrunk wrote:

Hey - I'm a Catholic - and I say chocolate with no fact fat.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#207  Postby Agrippina » Apr 30, 2015 5:46 am

No, Shrunk is right, I've tasted the "body of Christ" and it tastes like stale bread. And his blood tastes like really horrible cheap wine. :thumbup:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#208  Postby Shrunk » May 02, 2015 8:40 pm

Another comment deleted from CWR for reasons that are unclear. If anything, its tone is more measured than many of my comments that get posted:

The Catholic Church has really backed itself into a corner with the intransigence of its position on gay rights. Many Catholic commentators, here and elsewhere, express concern that the growing consensus in favour of same sex marriage threatens the future of the Church. And they are correct, though not in the way they believe. Their fear is of the possibility of the state sending jackbooted thugs into churches to haul away anyone who preaches against homosexuality or refuses to perform a same sex marriage. Such paranoid fantasies are laughable.

The threat to the Church, rather, comes from the fact that its position against gay rights makes the moral and intellectual bankruptcy of the institution increasingly impossible to ignore. A person who values his moral and intellectual integrity will find no place for himself in such a church. Michael Coren will be far from the last person to realize this.

:dunno:

It was on this story:

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Blog ... ching.aspx
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#209  Postby Nebogipfel » May 03, 2015 12:16 pm

Shrunk wrote:

Actually, I'd say more like stale ice-cream cone.
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#210  Postby Nebogipfel » May 03, 2015 12:21 pm

Gee, of course, Coren's stated reasons for leaving the Church can't possibly be the real ones... :roll:
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#211  Postby Shrunk » May 03, 2015 7:43 pm

Shrunk wrote:Another comment deleted from CWR for reasons that are unclear. If anything, its tone is more measured than many of my comments that get posted:

The Catholic Church has really backed itself into a corner with the intransigence of its position on gay rights. Many Catholic commentators, here and elsewhere, express concern that the growing consensus in favour of same sex marriage threatens the future of the Church. And they are correct, though not in the way they believe. Their fear is of the possibility of the state sending jackbooted thugs into churches to haul away anyone who preaches against homosexuality or refuses to perform a same sex marriage. Such paranoid fantasies are laughable.

The threat to the Church, rather, comes from the fact that its position against gay rights makes the moral and intellectual bankruptcy of the institution increasingly impossible to ignore. A person who values his moral and intellectual integrity will find no place for himself in such a church. Michael Coren will be far from the last person to realize this.

:dunno:

It was on this story:

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Blog ... ching.aspx

Ah, mystery solved: All of my recent posts have been scrubbed, so it would appear I am now banned. It'd be nice if they had mentioned that, but I guess the Catholic Church is not exactly known for its transparency.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#212  Postby Onyx8 » May 04, 2015 1:01 am

I suspect you cut too close to the bone for them. Sad really, they'll miss you.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity