Saints be Praised, it's a Miracle!!

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Saints be Praised, it's a Miracle!!

#1  Postby Ironclad » Feb 13, 2019 6:31 pm

BBC News - John Henry Newman: Second miracle approved as sainthood looms
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-47228423

Cardinal John Henry Newman is closer to being canonised after a second miracle in his name was confirmed by the Pope.

Two authenticated miracles are required before sainthood and Newman, who was already attributed with curing a man's spinal disease, is now said to have healed a woman's unstoppable bleeding.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Re: Saints be Praised, it's a Miracle!!

#2  Postby Evolving » Feb 13, 2019 7:08 pm

I used to be a catholic and did take it reasonably seriously for a while, but to my credit ( :oops: ) this business of finding miracles to warrant someone's elevation to sainthood was always something that I was uncomfortable with. Along with a large number of grass roots catholics, I think.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Jiimmy, is that you?
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#4  Postby Evolving » Feb 13, 2019 8:51 pm

lol, it does look like Jimmy Savile
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Ironclad » Feb 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Now then, now then..
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 13, 2019 9:05 pm

Apologies, I would never intentionally associate the Catholic church with paedophilia...no, wait...
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#7  Postby Blackadder » Feb 13, 2019 11:09 pm

Oh when the saints
Go marching in
Oh when the saints go marching in
It's all a fraud, based on bullshit
When the saints go marching in.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Leucius Charinus » Mar 11, 2019 2:23 am

https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bones-Dust- ... 0300184301
Holy Bones, Holy Dust: How Relics Shaped the History of Medieval Europe
by Charles Freeman (Author)

Relics were everywhere in medieval society. Saintly morsels such as bones, hair, teeth, blood, milk, and clothes, and items like the Crown of Thorns, coveted by Louis IX of France, were thought to bring the believer closer to the saint, who might intercede with God on his or her behalf. In the first comprehensive history in English of the rise of relic cults, Charles Freeman takes readers on a vivid, fast-paced journey from Constantinople to the northern Isles of Scotland over the course of a millennium.

In Holy Bones, Holy Dust, Freeman illustrates that the pervasiveness and variety of relics answered very specific needs of ordinary people across a darkened Europe under threat of political upheavals, disease, and hellfire. But relics were not only venerated—they were traded, collected, lost, stolen, duplicated, and destroyed. They were bargaining chips, good business and good propaganda, politically appropriated across Europe, and even used to wield military power. Freeman examines an expansive array of relics, showing how the mania for these objects deepens our understanding of the medieval world and why these relics continue to capture our imagination.
"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that
the fabrication of the Christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. "

Emperor Julian (362 CE)
Leucius Charinus

Print view this post

#9  Postby Hermit » Mar 11, 2019 3:33 am

Voltaire quipped that there are so many relics of the True Cross in circulation that they would suffice to build a hundred-gun ship.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby aban57 » Mar 11, 2019 8:23 pm

The most ridiculous of all being the Holy Grail. I mean, this thing was invented in an eleventh century novel, and they still fight over who has the "real" one :lol:
Christianity, those who mastered the art of recycling :lol:
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Svartalf » Mar 11, 2019 10:19 pm

Hermit wrote:Voltaire quipped that there are so many relics of the True Cross in circulation that they would suffice to build a hundred-gun ship.

and you know what, there are likely enough relics of the Holy Foreskin to assert that Jesus had more dicks than teeth.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Svartalf » Mar 11, 2019 10:21 pm

aban57 wrote:The most ridiculous of all being the Holy Grail. I mean, this thing was invented in an eleventh century novel, and they still fight over who has the "real" one :lol:

AFAIK, there is no 'holy grail' anywhere in the Christian world, it's solely a literary device, whose nature varies according to the author (for instance, the Grail was a stone kept in a special castle if you believe Wolfram von Eschenbach). And other authors are still in dispute whether the Grail is the cup in which Jesus blessed the Wine at the last Meal, or a vase used by Joseph of Arimathea to receive the Holy Blood as it flowed from Jesus' crucified body.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Hermit » Mar 12, 2019 2:45 am

Svartalf wrote:
Hermit wrote:Voltaire quipped that there are so many relics of the True Cross in circulation that they would suffice to build a hundred-gun ship.

and you know what, there are likely enough relics of the Holy Foreskin to assert that Jesus had more dicks than teeth.

Enough foreskin to sew a set of sails for the hundred-gun ship.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby laklak » Mar 12, 2019 2:53 am

Two mohels are sitting in a bar. First one says "how was work today?" Second answers "Got a few good tips."
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby aban57 » Mar 12, 2019 11:21 am

Svartalf wrote:
aban57 wrote:The most ridiculous of all being the Holy Grail. I mean, this thing was invented in an eleventh century novel, and they still fight over who has the "real" one :lol:

AFAIK, there is no 'holy grail' anywhere in the Christian world, it's solely a literary device, whose nature varies according to the author (for instance, the Grail was a stone kept in a special castle if you believe Wolfram von Eschenbach). And other authors are still in dispute whether the Grail is the cup in which Jesus blessed the Wine at the last Meal, or a vase used by Joseph of Arimathea to receive the Holy Blood as it flowed from Jesus' crucified body.

There are some chalices hold in Christian places (cathedrals, churches), and some of them are "fighting" over the title of Holy Grail. From here :

Growing up on the mythical tales of King Arthur, I’ve always been a sceptic; for me, the grail is a literary treasure. Even so, I couldn’t help but feel intrigued by Valencia’s Santo Cáliz (Holy Chalice). There are currently more than 200 claimants in Europe alone, all vying for the illustrious title of Holy Grail, with theories of the relic’s final resting place found everywhere from Scotland to Accokeek, Maryland. Yet out of all the lists of claimants I researched, Valencia’s chalice almost invariably held the top spot. It still manages to attract pilgrims from all over the world, and has even been used ceremonially by both Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI. Eager for the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of Sir Galahad on my own quest for the grail, I’d come here to discover what makes this cup so special among so many others.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#16  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 12, 2019 3:35 pm

If it isn’t in Castle Aaaaaaaaaaargh, it isn’t the grail. I’ve seen the documentary by Monty Python, when they interviewed Tim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Svartalf » Mar 12, 2019 3:50 pm

well, if there is a cup claiming to be that of the Last Meal, I'll go with the Woodworker's one as depicted in THe Last Crusade, Valencia's claim has to be a fraud, a Jew would never have used such a luxury item for a passover meal.

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Arcanyn » Mar 12, 2019 4:34 pm

aban57 wrote:
Svartalf wrote:

There are some chalices hold in Christian places (cathedrals, churches), and some of them are "fighting" over the title of Holy Grail. From here :

Growing up on the mythical tales of King Arthur, I’ve always been a sceptic; for me, the grail is a literary treasure. Even so, I couldn’t help but feel intrigued by Valencia’s Santo Cáliz (Holy Chalice). There are currently more than 200 claimants in Europe alone, all vying for the illustrious title of Holy Grail, with theories of the relic’s final resting place found everywhere from Scotland to Accokeek, Maryland. Yet out of all the lists of claimants I researched, Valencia’s chalice almost invariably held the top spot. It still manages to attract pilgrims from all over the world, and has even been used ceremonially by both Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI. Eager for the opportunity to follow in the footsteps of Sir Galahad on my own quest for the grail, I’d come here to discover what makes this cup so special among so many others.

I'd have thought they'd have figured out which one is the right one by now. There's a very simple test for determining if a grail is fake:

Never ascribe to stupidity that which is the logical consequence of malice.
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity