Televangelist asks followers to buy him a new private jet

Only $54 million.

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Televangelist asks followers to buy him a new private jet

#1  Postby Blackadder » May 31, 2018 8:31 am

https://news.sky.com/story/televangelist-asks-followers-to-buy-him-a-54m-jet-11390216

He already has a jet but it’s useless apparently because it has to stop to refuel. He needs to upgrade and he knows this because the Lord told him so.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Televangelist asks followers to buy him a new private jet

#2  Postby zulumoose » May 31, 2018 8:39 am

But - But - he must be right, mustn't he? I mean, if he were delusional about that conversation with Gawd, it opens up the possibility that he might be mistaken about other things. If I send in my $1000 I'll be confirming my faith and can put all those nagging doubts behind me where Satan belongs. The Lawd is with me.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Mike_L » May 31, 2018 8:51 am

Should he not be borne on the wings of angels?
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 31, 2018 8:56 am

This must be that charitable giving that the religious are so much more likely to do.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » May 31, 2018 9:07 am

And if his followers contribute to this nutjob's scheme, it just confirms the stupidity of some of the religious.

Although on second thoughts, he's not such a nutjob but a skilled conman in the same league as Trump.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby zulumoose » May 31, 2018 9:25 am

I think what marks the successful conman is that he knows how far he can push it. Everyone else under-estimates what can be asked for because we expect people to do things within reason, work to boundaries, have some suspicion. I think when many people reach that point of wanting to believe, of actively seeking confirmation, they go beyond what a critical person would think is possible in awarding trust.

That point when a stage hypnotist sorts the volunteers into who will work for him and who won't, I suspect the con-man can do that almost instinctively.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Hermit » May 31, 2018 9:35 am

Copycat tryhard. Four years ago the aptly named televangelist Creflo Dollar exhorted his suckers to cough up 70 million bucks for a Gulfstream G650.

It was to replace his private Gulfstream III after it had been wrecked during a takeoff at the London-Biggin Hill Airport
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 31, 2018 10:01 am

zulumoose wrote:I think what marks the successful conman is that he knows how far he can push it. Everyone else under-estimates what can be asked for because we expect people to do things within reason, work to boundaries, have some suspicion. I think when many people reach that point of wanting to believe, of actively seeking confirmation, they go beyond what a critical person would think is possible in awarding trust.

That point when a stage hypnotist sorts the volunteers into who will work for him and who won't, I suspect the con-man can do that almost instinctively.

Isn't there a strain of evangelism in America that's based around prosperity? The idea that you what you give away will be returned to you in greater amounts? How you get so far from Jesus' basic message and still call it Christianity is beyond me, but I guess nobody ever became powerful by throwing away all of their stuff. I'd imagine the churches that do preach that sort of thing die out pretty quickly.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 31, 2018 10:05 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
zulumoose wrote:I think what marks the successful conman is that he knows how far he can push it. Everyone else under-estimates what can be asked for because we expect people to do things within reason, work to boundaries, have some suspicion. I think when many people reach that point of wanting to believe, of actively seeking confirmation, they go beyond what a critical person would think is possible in awarding trust.

Isn't there a strain of evangelism in America that's based around prosperity? The idea that you what you give away will be returned to you in greater amounts? How you get so far from Jesus' basic message and still call it Christianity is beyond me, but I guess nobody ever became powerful by throwing away all of their stuff. I'd imagine the churches that do preach that sort of thing die out pretty quickly.

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Hermit » May 31, 2018 10:42 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:

Isn't there a strain of evangelism in America that's based around prosperity?

Prosperity theology is Calvinism on steroids. A chief justification for it is the parable of the talents, wherein making money is a virtue, a virtue, moreover, that god rewards with more money.

Just another example of the many irreconcilable contradictions in the teachings of the mythical Jesus. See Matthew 19:24

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 31, 2018 2:07 pm

That's the bible for you full of contradictions so every one is happy.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby zulumoose » May 31, 2018 2:12 pm

You can decide which colour of cherries you want to pick, the whole rainbow is there for the choosing.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#13  Postby laklak » May 31, 2018 2:15 pm

Wannabe. Ernest Angley had a 747.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#14  Postby i have no avatar » Jun 01, 2018 2:39 am

From the article:

Mr Duplantis then explained the new plane, which can carry eight passengers and three crew, meant he wouldn't have to "pay those exorbitant prices for jet fuel all over the world".

A rational follower (oxymoron) might ask: "Well, does your projected cost of fuel in these high cost regions over the next 10-20 years exceed $54 million? If not, aren't you being disingenuous?"
but i do have a signature
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby laklak » Jun 01, 2018 3:14 am

Anyone who donates money to these charlatans is a wet brained imbecile and deserves to be fleeced. I have zero sympathy.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity