The Bible

Some seriously insane nonsense to discuss

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: The Bible

#301  Postby dejuror » Feb 20, 2015 5:37 pm

In the Bible, Jesus, the Logos, was literate.

John 7
14 Now about the midst of the feast Jesus went up into the temple, and taught.

15 And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?

John 8
6. This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

John 8
And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

In the Bible and apologetic sources , Jesus the son of God was literate.

In "Church History" attributed to Eusebius it is claimed Jesus the Son of God wrote a letter to King Agbarus.
dejuror

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#302  Postby John Platko » Feb 20, 2015 5:51 pm

dejuror wrote:In the Bible, Jesus, the Logos, was literate.

John 7

15 And the Jews marvelled, saying, How knoweth this man letters, having never learned?

John 8
6. This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

John 8

In "Church History" attributed to Eusebius it is claimed Jesus the Son of God wrote a letter to King Agbarus.

What did Jesus write and who could read it? And why would they leave out what Jesus wrote from the Bible?
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#303  Postby Free » Feb 20, 2015 5:56 pm

John 7

John 8

John 8

Edited.

Correct.
Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#304  Postby John Platko » Feb 20, 2015 7:18 pm

Free wrote:

John 7

John 8

John 8

Edited.

Correct.

But, but, but, I thought that was signed by the Angel Gabriel
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#305  Postby Free » Feb 20, 2015 7:56 pm

John Platko wrote:
Free wrote:

John 7

John 8

John 8

Edited.

Correct.

No, no, no, that was Muhammad. You know him, right? He's that dude who flew to the heaven on a horse and split the moon in two.

:whistle:
Free

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#306  Postby John Platko » Feb 20, 2015 9:38 pm

Free wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Free wrote:

John 7

John 8

John 8

Edited.

Correct.

No, no, no, that was Muhammad. You know him, right? He's that dude who flew to the heaven on a horse and split the moon in two.

:whistle:

:scratch: Is this the letter you're talking about?

From: http://www.silcom.com/~barnowl/chain-le ... sab_+2.htm

Whosoever worketh on the Sabbath day shall be cursed. I command you to go to church and keep the Lord's day holy, without doing any manner of work. You shall not idly spend your time in bedecking yourself with superfluities of costly apparel and vain dresses, for I have ordained it a day of rest. I will have that day kept holy that your sins may be forgiven you.
You shall not break my commandments, but observe and keep them, written with my own hand. Write them in your hearts and steadfastly observe this was written with my own hand and spoken by my own mouth.
You shall not only go to church yourselves, but also your man-servant and observe my words and learn my commandments. You shall finish your labor every Saturday evening by 6 o'clock, at which time the preparation for the Sabbath begins.
I advise you to fast five Fridays in the year, beginning with Good Friday, and continue for four Fridays immediately following in remembrance of the five Bloody Wounds I received for all mankind.
You shall diligently and peaceably labor in your respective vocations wherein it hath please GOD to call you. You shall love one another with brotherly love and cause them that are not baptized to come to church and hear the holy sacraments - namely: Baptism and the Lord's Supper - and be made members thereof. In so doing I will give you long life and many blessings, and your land shall replenish and bring forth abundance.
I will give you many blessings and comfort you in the greatest temptations; and surely he that doth to the contrary shall be cursed and unprofitable. I will also send hardness of heart upon them till I have destroyed them but especially upon hardened and impenitent unbelievers. He that hath given to the poor shall not be unprofitable.
Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day, for the seventh I have taken to rest myself.
He that hath a copy of this letter, written with my own hand and spoken with my own mouth, and keep it without publishing it to others, shall not prosper, but he that publisheth it to others shall be blessed of me, and though his sins be in numbers as the stars in the sky and he believes in this he shall be pardoned; and if he believe not this writing and my commandments I will send my plagues upon him and consume both him and his children and his cattle; and whoever shall have a copy of this letter and keep it in their houses nothing shall hurt them, neither pestilence or lightning or thunder shall do them any hurt. If woman be with child and labor and a copy of this letter be about her and she firmly puts her trust in me she shall safely be delivered of her birth.
You shall have no news of me, by the Holy Spirit, until the day of judgment. All goodness and prosperity shall be in the house where a copy of this letter shall be found.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#307  Postby Alan B » Feb 21, 2015 9:46 am

Besides, who ever heard of a Son of God being illiterate?

Stands to reason He can do anything - (even read & write...)

Youse gotta have faith, man.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#308  Postby Agrippina » Feb 22, 2015 12:22 pm

Finished. Done. All over. I will never read the Bible again. It's on the shelf away from my desk for the first time in over five years. Enough! :thumbup:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#309  Postby Zwaarddijk » Feb 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Agrippina wrote:Finished. Done. All over. I will never read the Bible again. It's on the shelf away from my desk for the first time in over five years. Enough! :thumbup:

Congratulations! I don't think I'll ever put it away, but I don't read it on a monthly basis, even. Then again, when I do I tend to favour electronical versions.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#310  Postby Agrippina » Feb 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Thanks.

Yes I have those. One on the iPad and a "study" version the computer that has the option of all versions, so I was able to copy and paste without having to retype.

Almost 600 pages and over 150,000 words. Now my editor is able to get into it. So it will be a few months before I'll put it up on a website for reading. Now I have other more interesting things to waffle about.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#311  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Well done Aggie :cheers:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#312  Postby aban57 » Feb 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Good job :)
Now you do the same with the Quran :)
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#313  Postby Alan B » Feb 22, 2015 7:57 pm

aban57 wrote:Good job :)
Now you do the same with the Quran :)

Better not do that, otherwise you will become Muslim by default.
:nono:

Excellent job on the Bible, though.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#314  Postby Agrippina » Feb 24, 2015 6:13 am

Thanks everyone.

No, I can't read that book. Besides being just boring nonsense, it's poetry. I can't read endless pages of poetry without my mind wandering off at a tangent about something more interesting...ooh look a squirrel, or in my case, a monitor lizard that I saw on our property yesterday. :grin:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#315  Postby aban57 » Feb 24, 2015 4:13 pm

It didn't look like poetry to me, but it's indeed the worst book i've ever read.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#316  Postby Agrippina » Feb 25, 2015 7:34 am

I agree completely. I didn't bother beyond page 1, I knew I'd never be able to give it the attention I gave to the other one. Also I don't have the energy to bother with it anymore. I've done the Bible, I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to that one now, even if no one really cares to hear what I think. :grin:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#317  Postby aban57 » Feb 25, 2015 11:45 am

Agrippina wrote:I agree completely. I didn't bother beyond page 1, I knew I'd never be able to give it the attention I gave to the other one. Also I don't have the energy to bother with it anymore. I've done the Bible, I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to that one now, even if no one really cares to hear what I think. :grin:

It's not that no one cares, it's just that they don't want to hear it, it's an offense to their faith :)
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#318  Postby Agrippina » Feb 25, 2015 2:23 pm

aban57 wrote:
Agrippina wrote:I agree completely. I didn't bother beyond page 1, I knew I'd never be able to give it the attention I gave to the other one. Also I don't have the energy to bother with it anymore. I've done the Bible, I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to that one now, even if no one really cares to hear what I think. :grin:

It's not that no one cares, it's just that they don't want to hear it, it's an offense to their faith :)

Yep, that's what I mean. They have their fixed ideas about their belief, and they don't care what I say, it's not going to change their minds.

There's a trend I'm noticing among believers these days. They're separating themselves from "religion" and making up their own ideas about the nature of god, and how they believe in him, and how they interpret the Bible. Teaching the masses to read and write, and reason, hasn't stopped them believing in the deity and the theology around him, but only that formalised religion has it wrong. These are very difficult people to talk to because they don't follow any rules, just the ones they've made up for themselves.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#319  Postby aban57 » Feb 25, 2015 3:10 pm

Yeah, that's what bothers me, among other things. I'm currently writing something about that. I'll probably neve publish it, but it feels good to write down all those things that piss me off :)
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#320  Postby Agrippina » Feb 26, 2015 5:30 am

aban57 wrote:Yeah, that's what bothers me, among other things. I'm currently writing something about that. I'll probably neve publish it, but it feels good to write down all those things that piss me off :)

When presented by evidence that moves the probability of the existence of God a little further towards non-existence, they just change the rules. :roll:

I'd like to give the manuscript to someone to read for commentary, and objective, not rude, observation. The trouble is that believers just make up whatever nonsense they want to, and non-believers are too tied up in "it's just a load of rubbish" to objectively view my commentary. So I'll just leave it until someone decides to do whatever they want to with it, when I'm dead!

In the meantime, I'm messing about with my photos, making ebook albums of the best ones so the kids can just dump the photos when I no longer care. I've had enough of discussion biblical nonsense now.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity