The Black Church Is Exploiting Our Community

Came across this article today

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

The Black Church Is Exploiting Our Community

#1  Postby Sovereign » Sep 23, 2013 4:30 pm

I was living in St. Louis for years (moved now :( ) but I still keep up with people I know there and I ran across this article posted on Facebook. I think that when most people think of "American Christianity", they think of the suburban affluent church or the Southern Baptists style but forget that there are other (segregated) aspects of Christianity here in the US. I know there was a thread on black atheists a while back and the topic of the church in the black community came up but it wasn't discussed much at length. I found this article to be pretty enlightening. Enjoy :grin:

I'm going to start this off by saying I hate Pastor Kerney and Peter Popoff.

I hope a vicious heart attack sneaks it's way into Kerney's body and leaves this spineless bastard dead on the hospital stretcher. Any joker that plays on peoples intelligence like he does deserves to die the most painful death possible. Oh but wait, apparently he can cure AIDS just by speaking in tongues, so who the hell am I to talk down about the man of God?

And In my opinion, Peter Popoff is the devil himself, seeking comedic relief by going to church every Sunday. His wife is a demon and he's the devil; I truly believe this. Black people eat this mess up and Peter laughs his way to the bank. My father kept the TV glued to Benny Hinn despite the fact that he was blatantly full of crap. Hinn grossed $100 million a year in his prime. Continued...

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/rftmus ... oiting.php
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The Black Church Is Exploiting Our Community

#2  Postby Matthew Shute » Sep 23, 2013 5:17 pm

We can't overlook the fact that it's in our heritage as African Americans to be slightly foolish when it comes to Christianity. [...] I'm just saying it's in our DNA as descendants of slaves to be a bit more relaxed about certain things concerning grey areas and faith.

I hope that's supposed to be an attempt at comedy. Otherwise, I'd love to see the evidence for the dubious claim, that descendants of slaves have "extra gullibility" written into their DNA. :what:
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Re: The Black Church Is Exploiting Our Community

#3  Postby Sovereign » Sep 23, 2013 9:47 pm

Ya, I was wondering about that too...

Edit: After giving it more thought, I'm going to assume he means that the black community gives anything regarding Christianity a pass because it was Christianity that the slaves relied on to make it through the day. He does reference the spirituals. This then carried on into the modern era and he references the black community rather than thinking, just "rely on God" so to speak.
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity