The 'Childishness' Of The Bible

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Why stevebee is wrong

#321  Postby willhud9 » Dec 18, 2013 6:06 am

CharlieM wrote:
The gods don't have different creation stories, people do. Separate cultures have various creation stories with many common themes running through them. As I previously wrote: I'm sure you've heard of the blind men and the elephant, but if you haven't, google it. The stories may vary but the subject remains the same.

No.

Israel's creation story matches many Mesopotamian creation stories. This by no means suggests that Israel's creation story is somehow superior, or the God presented is the only God.

As cultures blend, ideas are shared and things change. This can even be traced anthropologically and doesn't need a woo-filled explanation. The early Grecian people were fishermen, sailors, and merchants, their mythos was developed from a blend of Egyptian, Germanic, and Mesopotamian cultures, with Grecian flair. Israel adopted its mythos in a similar fashion.

No serious scholar of world history could sit there and say that the religions of the world all formed in relation to the mythos of one religion which did not form or become officially organized until at most the 10th century BCE.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The 'Childishness' Of The Bible

#322  Postby CharlieM » Dec 18, 2013 1:35 pm

willhud9 wrote:
CharlieM wrote:In reply to Thomas Eshuis

willhud9 wrote:What is there to interpret differently? What context from elsewhere does he bring which holds any candle? He quotes Luke 17 as saying just in you. But that is just incorrect. ἐντός ὑμῶν is

literally within (of) you all.

I quoted Luke as saying, "...the kingdom of God is within you", I don't know where your "just in you" came from. You say "ἐντός ὑμῶν is literally within (of) you all". Where do you get the "all" from?

ὑμῶν is plural "you". It is the equivalent of you all.

Its good to have someone with a knowledge of Greek with whom I can discuss this.

You still haven't explained where the "just in you" came from.

Jesus saying that the Kingdom of God is within you all is exactly what I'd expect him to say. The spark of the divine is in every human being and so the Kingdom of God is in every human being in the same way that an oak tree is within every acorn waiting to be developed.

The Kingdom of God is within everyone be they Pharisees, Sadducees, thieves, saints, prostitutes or whatever.

From John 12.32: "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself.”

Hippolytus wrote in his Refutation of All Heresies 5.7.20:
"[The Naassenes] speak...of a nature which is both hidden and revealed at the same time and which they call the thought-for kingdom of heaven which is in a human being. They transmit a tradition concerning this in the Gospel entitled "According to Thomas," which states expressly, "The one who seeks me will find me in children of seven years and older, for there, hidden in the fourteenth aeon, I am revealed."

The self-conscious ego is not apparent in babies but is revealed as a child develops.
CharlieM

Name: Charlie Morrison

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Re: The 'Childishness' Of The Bible

#323  Postby willhud9 » Dec 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Again CharlieM that was a second century+ modification of many tenets of the early Christian church. The coming of the Holy Spirit would fulfill what you are saying that the Kingdom of God is within people, but that only works once Pentecost happened and the Spirit was available for all. Until then the Son of Man was bringing forth the Kingdom of God.

In the Spirit of Christmas we can look at an earlier verse in Luke 1:31-33

Do not be afraid, Mary,
for you have found favor with God.
Now listen:
You will conceive and give birth to a son,
and you will call His name Jesus.
He will be great
and will be called the Son of the Most High,
and the Lord God will give Him
the throne of His father David.
He will reign over the house of Jacob forever,
and His kingdom will have no end.

Jesus is Lord. Jesus was among his people. The Kingdom had come but no one recognized it. The Pharisees did not bow to Jesus, the Sadducees did not bow to Jesus, the Romans did not bow to Jesus, because they did not see what was plain to see. In fact, it was the lesser of men who saw Jesus for whom he really was.

And again the early church most definitely did not assume Luke 17:21 meant the Kingdom of God was inside everyone. It was Jesus saying I am here and it is here, but you do not know it because I have chosen to hide it ~layman's translation.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post