The good bits of Christianity from atheists' perspectives

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: The good bits of Christianity from atheists' perspectives

#41  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 05, 2018 7:57 pm

I mean, even going by the lyrics you could argue Black Sabbath is a Christian band. Ever read the lyrics to After Forever? I think it's gotta be the band's primary topic.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Animavore » Mar 05, 2018 7:59 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:If being Christian makes your metal band Christian metal, then that covers most of them. I think it has more to do with the lyrical content, myself.

Lots of Slayer songs have Christian imagery, especially Revelations.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 05, 2018 8:02 pm

aban57 wrote:From Wikipedia :

The Golden Rule (which can be considered a law of reciprocity in some religions) is the principle of treating others as one would wish to be treated. It is a maxim of altruism that is found in many religions and cultures.[1][2] The maxim may appear as either a positive or negative injunction governing conduct:

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself (positive or directive form).[1]
One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated (negative or prohibitive form).[1]
What you wish upon others, you wish upon yourself (empathic or responsive form).[1]

The Golden Rule differs from the maxim of reciprocity captured in do ut des—"I give so that you will give in return"—and is rather a unilateral moral commitment to the well-being of the other without the expectation of anything in return.[3]

Long predates Christianity.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 05, 2018 8:03 pm

Animavore wrote:My experience with Christians is that they are as varied as anyone else and to say that they are all, all of them, 100% anything contradicts one of the fundamental facts of life; that there is variation among individuals in a species. It's pretty much one of the driving forces of the evolution thing.

Not to mention the question of:
Do they do good deeds because of their personality (ie independent from Christianity) or because their religion dictates they ought to.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#45  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 05, 2018 8:06 pm

Animavore wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:If being Christian makes your metal band Christian metal, then that covers most of them. I think it has more to do with the lyrical content, myself.

Lots of Slayer songs have Christian imagery, especially Revelations.

Most anti-Christian bands feature lots of Christian imagery. Doesn't make them Christian bands.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby BlackBart » Mar 05, 2018 8:22 pm

Are Kiss Jewish metal? :ask:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 05, 2018 8:26 pm

The only Christian rock band I know of is Stryper who were a hair metal band from the Eighties

Black Sabbath were naturally thought to be a Satanic band but the real deal was Black Widow who did Black Masses on stage
Black metal is a recognised genre within metal but a lot if it is merely posturing like Venom for example. Although there are those that take it very seriously indeed such as Varg Vikernes of the one man metal band Burzum who served fourteen years for murder and arson attacks on three churches in Norway
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 05, 2018 8:37 pm

Animavore wrote:
Lots of Slayer songs have Christian imagery especially Revelations

They also use pentagrams on their album covers

They have a song called South Of Heaven and their second album was called Hell Awaits
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#49  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 05, 2018 8:41 pm

BlackBart wrote:Are Kiss Jewish metal? :ask:

Well they're not metal, first of all. But...

I Like It Lox?
L'chaim It Up?
Dybbuk Rock City?
I Wanna Putz And Schmo All Night?
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 05, 2018 8:52 pm

Were Led Zeppelin a Satanic band because Jimmy Page once owned Aleister Crowleys
house and also had one of his sayings Do What Though Wilt inscribed inside Led Zep III
No is the simple answer to that one but mythology still sells more than mere facts will
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#51  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 05, 2018 8:55 pm

Kiss are less a rock band and more a business and Gene Simmons is the head of the company
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Skinny Puppy

#52  Postby Skinny Puppy » Mar 05, 2018 9:11 pm

Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Animavore wrote:My experience with Christians is that they are as varied as anyone else and to say that they are all, all of them, 100% anything contradicts one of the fundamental facts of life; that there is variation among individuals in a species. It's pretty much one of the driving forces of the evolution thing.

That's why I said this:

Christians are (in my experience):

You can't possibly be not aware of hate preachers like the Westboro Baptist Church. Or centuries of religious persecution. The Christians "in your experience" are not just the people who live on your road.

I should have added an extra word to that.

Christians are (in my personal experience):

The Westboro Baptist Church is an anomaly. They won't make poster child.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Fallible » Mar 05, 2018 9:20 pm

There was an old Christian woman who lived in one of the flats my mum used to monitor in her job as a warden of a sheltered housing scheme. She was without a doubt one of the most unpleasant people I have ever come across. She told lies about both my parents and me and spread them all around the flats. She spread the rumour that my dad was moonlighting in his job and, far worse, that at 14 I was pregnant. She had literally nothing to base this on - I never even had a boyfriend until I was 16/17. Daily, my mum was dealing with her complaints about just about anything she could find. She was one of the most vindictive, difficult, rude and scheming people it has ever been my misfortune to know.
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out a map sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#54  Postby UncertainSloth » Mar 05, 2018 9:28 pm

and you;ve met yourself.....;)
i guess i could be a quiet hero
no one knows the good i've done

e
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Animavore » Mar 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:The Westboro Baptist Church is an anomaly. They won't make poster child.

They're an extreme, but not an anomaly. Their hatred of gay people is a common theme throughout the Christian world. Especially those Christians on the Right of the political divide. We heard enough of their slander and lies towards gay people during the Same Sex Marriage referendum in Ireland. And I'm sure we're in for another lorry full of slander and lies against women, doctors and falsehoods on procedures in the upcoming Abortion Referendum. Lying for Jesus is another common trait of the Christian right, from gays, to women, to evolution, to climate change, liberals, etc. etc.

There's as much damaging and reality-denying Christianity as there is any type of more benevolent Christianity. Your personal experience seems either limited, or biased.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 05, 2018 10:20 pm

Westboro Baptist Church are regarded as the most hated family in all America
An America that is still predominantly Christian so has the same faith as them
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#57  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 05, 2018 10:27 pm

There is good and bad in all demographics and in that respect Christians are no different to anybody else
I always think it is better to see what people have in common with each other than what separates them
I draw the line at actions but freely allow anyone to think or say what ever they want but that is just me
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#58  Postby Animavore » Mar 05, 2018 10:54 pm

I think it's fair to say the type of Christianity a person believes may hint in advance what type of person they might be.

I have two new Christians in my life through my girlfriend. Both women. One is a Baptist and the other is a Pentecostal. One is absolutely lovely and the other is a complete bigot.

Can you guess which is which?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#59  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 05, 2018 11:01 pm

There is no way that I personally could get the right answer with just that information there
But who ever is the bigot why then have any thing to do with her if it bothers you that much
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#60  Postby Animavore » Mar 05, 2018 11:02 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:There is no way that I personally could get the right answer with just that information there
But who ever is the bigot why then have any thing to do with her if it bothers you that much

She's my girlfriend's aunt. I have to be nice to her.

And, for the record, I have given all the information you need.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity