The Man Who Can't Sue God

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

The Man Who Can't Sue God

#1  Postby Ironclad » May 01, 2015 8:12 pm

BBC

The Bishop of Worcester, the Rt Revd Dr John Inge, said the Church of England was "delighted".

Unite said it was "bitterly disappointed" and called the ruling "somewhat perverse".

Rev Sharpe says he was driven out of his parish in Worcestershire after his dog was poisoned, his car tyres slashed and his post tampered with.

His case reached the appeal court after tribunals split over whether he could legally be categorised as an employee or a worker.

Mr Sharpe argued he was employed by the Bishop of Worcester and therefore entitled to protection by legislation, including the 1996 Employment Rights Act.

The Church said he was not an employee but a "religious office holder" under ecclesiastical law.

ChristianityToday
A vicar has lost his claim for unfair dismissal against his Church of England diocese, as the courts upheld church law that implies he is 'employed by God'.

However the church has defended itself using ecclesiastical law, which states that vicars are not employees and so exempt from employment regulations.

:eh:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The Man Who Can't Sue God

#2  Postby Calilasseia » May 01, 2015 8:32 pm

Er, hang on a minute. If he was subject to the list of abuses cited in that article, then he's a victim of crime by definition. Poisoning a dog is a criminal offence, as is slashing car tyres, and tampering with the mail is an offence against the Crown, which usually brings stiff penalties. So how come he has been told he has no redress with respect to all of this? And how the fuck does "ecclesiastical law" manage to supersede the statute book here in the 21st century?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Ironclad » May 01, 2015 8:35 pm

I guess he couldn't prove the above, but described it all as workplace bullying. :dunno:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Alan B » May 01, 2015 9:20 pm

I see. So according to ecclesiastical law an 'unemployed person' who was subjected to these acts then, er, 'no crime was committed'? What utter bollocks!

Seems to me that being 'employed by God' is worse than being unemployed.

But then the Church should have been requested, by the courts, to produce evidence of this 'Godly' contract.

Oh, and from whom and where do vicars get their stipend. If they are paid out of church funds 'for doing a job', that is, holding an office on behalf of the church, then the church is employing them.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity