The meaning of Easter

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: The meaning of Easter

#41  Postby Ironclad » Apr 03, 2015 9:26 pm

Happy birthday, Pontious Pilate :party:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Oldskeptic » Apr 03, 2015 10:42 pm

jinxu wrote:

That part is what sets them apart from mainline Christianity I think.

What is mainline Christianity? Is it the sect with the most adherents, or possibly the one you find the least weird? Personally I find them all weird. I grew up Mormon and we of course thought we were the mainline Christians and Catholics were weird because they had garish and bloody resurrection art, burned incense, and their leaders wore funny outfits to church. Then I met Catholics that thought Mormons were weird because they wear holy undergarments and think God lives on the planet Kolob.

I don't think that there is such a thing as mainline Christianity just an assortment of cults all believing in weird things. All that these cults have in common is that they all believe that they have the one and only true understanding of a ridiculous man that died a couple thousand years ago.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#43  Postby Blackadder » Apr 03, 2015 11:16 pm

chairman bill wrote:
Blackadder wrote:Is that a bit like a Christian Scientist, then?

Aren't Christian Scientists Christians? They believe in supernaturalist mumbo-jumbo, including telepathic communication with their invisible friend. I'm not sure how that relates to anything I said. Or maybe I'm just missing the joke.

Atheist pagan. An oxymoron. Like Christian Scientist.

I find by the time one has explained the joke, the comedy value has been somewhat depleted. As on this occasion.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#44  Postby jinxu » Apr 03, 2015 11:23 pm

Blackadder wrote:
chairman bill wrote:
Blackadder wrote:Is that a bit like a Christian Scientist, then?

Aren't Christian Scientists Christians? They believe in supernaturalist mumbo-jumbo, including telepathic communication with their invisible friend. I'm not sure how that relates to anything I said. Or maybe I'm just missing the joke.

Atheist pagan. An oxymoron. Like Christian Scientist.

I find by the time one has explained the joke, the comedy value has been somewhat depleted. As on this occasion.

:lol: never too late to laugh at a good joke. I will laugh by myself in the drive home when I finally think about a good joke.

Sorry, I derailed the joke.
jinxu

United States (us)
Print view this post

#45  Postby chairman bill » Apr 04, 2015 9:22 am

Blackadder wrote:Atheist pagan. An oxymoron. Like Christian Scientist.

Well that depends on how you define a pagan. Stripped of the various differences, and whittled down to the commonality of belief across the various 'neo-pagan' paths, you end up with beliefs that are grounded in a deep reverence for the earth & nature, and a set of festivals that mark the changing seasons and a set of astronomical events (solstices & equinoxes).
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#46  Postby fluttermoth » Apr 04, 2015 10:05 am

chairman bill wrote:
Blackadder wrote:Atheist pagan. An oxymoron. Like Christian Scientist.

Well that depends on how you define a pagan. Stripped of the various differences, and whittled down to the commonality of belief across the various 'neo-pagan' paths, you end up with beliefs that are grounded in a deep reverence for the earth & nature, and a set of festivals that mark the changing seasons and a set of astronomical events (solstices & equinoxes).

Agreed. Many of the pagans I've known are very close to being atheist themselves. I was actually in a wicca coven for a few years in my late teens/early twenties! And yes, we did dance round the woods in the altogether; 'skyclad' they call it ;) . They recognised that 'Pan' and 'Diana' were really just anthropomorphised natural principles, and didn't believe in them as actual, objectively existing god-like entities.
fluttermoth

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby wunksta » Apr 04, 2015 10:12 am

Can anyone actually make a timeline of all the events that happened from the crucifixion to the end of the resurrection? There's so much stuff that supposedly happened.
The night is dark and full of terrors...
wunksta

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby chairman bill » Apr 04, 2015 10:12 am

fluttermoth wrote:[... we did dance round the woods in the altogether; 'skyclad' they call it ...

Photos, or it never happened :smile:
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby fluttermoth » Apr 04, 2015 2:10 pm

chairman bill wrote:
fluttermoth wrote:[... we did dance round the woods in the altogether; 'skyclad' they call it ...

Photos, or it never happened :smile:

lol, then in one sense, it didn't happen :)
fluttermoth

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Disappointed again bill? :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Matthew Shute » Apr 04, 2015 3:05 pm

Calilasseia wrote:
chairman bill wrote:Many of the northern European pagan festivals, are markers for the changing seasons & astronomical events. Shorn of the rituals & claims of divinity/godly involvement, I still find them somehow meaningful, both in marking those changes/events, and as some sort of contact/continuation of things my ancestors found important. But that's just me, an atheist pagan.

Heh, I've posted on numerous occasions how paganism is so much more fun than the Abrahamic religions. Instead of all this shit about how you deserve to be tortured for eternity, paganism offers you the opportunity to get naked with Natasha Khan lookalikes in the woods. :mrgreen:

Sign me up! :grin:
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#52  Postby laklak » Apr 04, 2015 3:18 pm

It's an excuse to roast up various bits of a small ruminant, not that I really need an excuse. This year we're doing leg of goat, cabrito in chocolate mole. It will be epic. Then we'll drink Irish whiskey, just because.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#53  Postby chairman bill » Apr 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Disappointed again bill? :lol:

The story of my life :(
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#54  Postby epepke » Apr 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
jinxu wrote:

What is mainline Christianity?

I think it involves a rubber hose and a hypodermic syringe with holy water in it.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#55  Postby jinxu » Apr 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
jinxu wrote:

What is mainline Christianity? Is it the sect with the most adherents, or possibly the one you find the least weird? Personally I find them all weird. I grew up Mormon and we of course thought we were the mainline Christians and Catholics were weird because they had garish and bloody resurrection art, burned incense, and their leaders wore funny outfits to church. Then I met Catholics that thought Mormons were weird because they wear holy undergarments and think God lives on the planet Kolob.

I don't think that there is such a thing as mainline Christianity just an assortment of cults all believing in weird things. All that these cults have in common is that they all believe that they have the one and only true understanding of a ridiculous man that died a couple thousand years ago.

Really? The planet Kolob?

Mainline Christianity, in my view, is basically the group of people that have the most in agreement, and usually the one with the most adherents. Also, usually separated by the least differences, I guess is another way to look at it.
jinxu

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity