The Restorationist Joseph Smith Sects

Mormons

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: The Restorationist Joseph Smith Sects

#41  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 23, 2016 5:24 pm

What did they tell you when you asked them?
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby duvduv » Dec 23, 2016 7:11 pm

I haven't. I'm waiting for them to reply. Especially the liberal minded CoC folks from Missouri...
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby duvduv » Apr 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Hmmm....here we are over 3 months later, and no one is apparently interested in discussing this topic.
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

#44  Postby duvduv » Jun 29, 2017 6:27 pm

There must be some historical context that helps us understand how Joseph Smith and company combined traditional Christian ideas with those of pantheism and gnosticism, and paganism. Their doctrines explicitly state that the God of Genesis is not an omnipotent omniscient God of the entirety of creation, but in fact is a "Father in Heaven" who "became" this god, has a body of flesh and bones and was created by a prior God-Father in Heaven.

I suppose this process goes back ad infinitum. And of course through "exaltation" every human being can achieve the same status of this creator God and be worshiped by inhabitants of other planets (without any proof of the existence of alien creatures beyond Kalob I guess). So essentially according to this doctrine there does not even exist a true God over all creation. In any event no one could argue that this set of dogmas is in any way actually relevant to Christianity, but perhaps moreso to Manichaeism etc.

And of course Mormon apologists have a VERY difficult time refuting their practices that clearly emerge from those of the Freemasons, such as special dress, handshakes, etc. etc., given the fact that Joseph Smith, and I assume Brigham Young, were freemasons. Upon pressing these issues of the godhead Mormons online have told me the above description is "CANONIZED DOCTRINE" which I guess means one does not need to reconcile it, describe it or explain it in relation to actual Christianity itself.
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 29, 2017 7:57 pm

duvduv wrote:There must be some historical context that helps us understand how Joseph Smith and company combined traditional Christian ideas with those of pantheism and gnosticism, and paganism.

I think you're just trying to make sense of it yourself, but neither you nor I seem to know what you indicate by 'making sense' or how you would know it did once you got there. The alternative is that you don't believe it makes sense, and you want someone to argue the other side so you can win the argument.

duvduv wrote:Their doctrines explicitly state that the God of Genesis is not an omnipotent omniscient God of the entirety of creation, but in fact is a "Father in Heaven" who "became" this god, has a body of flesh and bones and was created by a prior God-Father in Heaven.

Maybe you think that anything invented by human beings has, in some way, to "make sense". You well know there are tons of scientific subjects in which people understand each other and make progress. By that I mean that they don't keep asking the same old questions over and over and over again.

duvduv wrote:I suppose this process goes back ad infinitum. And of course through "exaltation" every human being can achieve the same status of this creator God and be worshiped by inhabitants of other planets (without any proof of the existence of alien creatures beyond Kalob I guess). So essentially according to this doctrine there does not even exist a true God over all creation. In any event no one could argue that this set of dogmas is in any way actually relevant to Christianity, but perhaps moreso to Manichaeism etc.

There you go again, trying to make sense of it.

duvduv wrote:And of course Mormon apologists have a VERY difficult time refuting their practices that clearly emerge from those of the Freemasons, such as special dress, handshakes, etc. etc., given the fact that Joseph Smith, and I assume Brigham Young, were freemasons.

Refuting?

duvduv wrote:Upon pressing these issues of the godhead Mormons online have told me the above description is "CANONIZED DOCTRINE" which I guess means one does not need to reconcile it, describe it or explain it in relation to actual Christianity itself.

Again, how would you know that anything was reconciled? Surely you wouldn't just accept somebody's rationalization. I think it would be at the point where you decided to stop inquiring into nonsense for the sake of impressing yourself with the sheer scale and intensity of your tough-minded inquiry.

duvduv wrote:Hmmm....here we are over 3 months later, and no one is apparently interested in discussing this topic.

There's a clue up there waiting for you to sniff it out.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 30, 2017 6:55 am

What is there to discuss about the mormons? A load of religious fanatics no worse than any others but nothing special either. Just another waste of space.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#47  Postby duvduv » Jun 30, 2017 3:32 pm

People have written many books and have websites refuting the often incomprehensible ideas of the Mormon doctrines. There is nothing wrong with it, especially in interacting with them directly.
duvduv

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 30, 2017 4:39 pm

No? Are you one? The mormons hardly know their own doctrine. All they know is magic knickers, vests and pants. The randiest girl I ever met was a mormon. She did not wear magic knickers though.

They built a new churchy thing they call a temple here not far from the Hague in white marble. It is one for the whole country. It is hardly open. The locals call it the white elephant.

What does many books and websites prove? Look it is a load of rubbish like any other belief system.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity