"Top 10 tips for atheists this Easter"

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

"Top 10 tips for atheists this Easter"

#1  Postby Shrunk » Apr 21, 2014 12:35 am

...courtesy of John Dickson, described in the blurb as "an author and historian, and a founding director of the Centre for Public Christianity." His first eight tips are boring and need not detain us long, but for #9 and 10 he acknowledges some points that cause him difficulty:

Tip #9. Ask us about Old Testament violence

I promised to highlight vulnerabilities of the Christian Faith. Here are two.

Most thoughtful Christians find it difficult to reconcile the loving, self-sacrificial presentation of God in the New Testament with the seemingly harsh and violent portrayals of divinity in the Old Testament. I am not endorsing Richard Dawkins' attempts in chapter 7 of The God Delusion. There he mistakenly includes stories that the Old Testament itself holds up as counter examples of true piety. But there is a dissonance between Christ's "love your enemies" and Moses' "slay the wicked".

I am not sure this line of argument has the power to undo Christian convictions entirely. I, for one, feel that the lines of evidence pointing to God's self-disclosure in Christ are so robust that I am able to ponder the inconsistencies in the Old Testament without chucking in the Faith. Still, I reckon this is one line of scrutiny Christians haven't yet fully answered.

Tip #10. Press us on hell and judgment

Questions can also be raised about God's fairness with the world. I don't mean the problem of evil and suffering: philosophers seem to regard that argument as a 'draw'. I am talking about how Christians can, on the one hand, affirm God's costly love in Jesus Christ and, yet, on the other, maintain Christ's equally clear message that those who refuse the Creator will face eternal judgment. If God is so eager for our friendship that he would enter our world, share our humanity, and bear our punishment on the cross, how could he feel it is appropriate to send anyone to endless judgment?

This is a peculiar problem of the Christian gospel. If God were principally holy and righteous, and only occasionally magnanimous in special circumstances, we wouldn't be shocked by final judgment. But it is precisely because Jesus described God as a Father rushing to embrace and kiss the returning 'prodigal' that Christians wonder how to hold this in tension with warnings of hell and judgment.

Again, I'm not giving up on classical Christianity because of this internally generated dilemma, but I admit to feeling squeamish about it, and I secretly hope atheists in my audiences don't think to ask me about it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-18/d ... ts/5397892
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: "Top 10 tips for atheists this Easter"

#2  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 21, 2014 12:59 am

So he openly admits that he hopes atheists don't ask him awkward questions about his attachment to mythological assertions? How revealing.

On the other hand, we have individuals such as the late Christopher Hitchens, and several still-living atheists, who are only too happy to say "bring it on".
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Apr 21, 2014 5:54 am

Tips for American or Canadian atheists? Because its not for Czech atheists for sure.
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby mindhack » Apr 21, 2014 8:28 am

tuco wrote:Tips for American or Canadian atheists? Because its not for Czech atheists for sure.

That's because Czech atheists are of an ancient kind yes? :)
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 21, 2014 9:33 am

tuco wrote:Tips for American or Canadian atheists? Because its not for Czech atheists for sure.

Are you sure you don't want to include atheists who are Scotsmen?
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#6  Postby tuco » Apr 21, 2014 9:46 am

Scotsmen? Not sure. Do they quiz believers about Old Testament?
tuco

Print view this post

#7  Postby quisquose » Apr 21, 2014 9:47 am

John Dickson wrote:Most thoughtful Christians find it difficult to reconcile the loving, self-sacrificial presentation of God in the New Testament with the seemingly harsh and violent portrayals of divinity in the Old Testament.

John Dickson wrote:Questions can also be raised about God's fairness with the world. I don't mean the problem of evil and suffering: philosophers seem to regard that argument as a 'draw'. I am talking about how Christians can, on the one hand, affirm God's costly love in Jesus Christ and, yet, on the other, maintain Christ's equally clear message that those who refuse the Creator will face eternal judgment.

Err, and which God invented the concept of Hell? The loving God of the New Testament, or the seemingly harsh one of the Old Testament?
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 21, 2014 10:03 am

quisquose wrote:
John Dickson wrote:Most thoughtful Christians find it difficult to reconcile the loving, self-sacrificial presentation of God in the New Testament with the seemingly harsh and violent portrayals of divinity in the Old Testament.

John Dickson wrote:Questions can also be raised about God's fairness with the world. I don't mean the problem of evil and suffering: philosophers seem to regard that argument as a 'draw'. I am talking about how Christians can, on the one hand, affirm God's costly love in Jesus Christ and, yet, on the other, maintain Christ's equally clear message that those who refuse the Creator will face eternal judgment.

Err, and which God invented the concept of Hell? The loving God of the New Testament, or the seemingly harsh one of the Old Testament?

Didn't you get the memo? 'Hell' is synonymous with 'separation from your (loving) God', which is what all the gnashing of teeth is apparently about. The weeping and wailing are just histrionic, and people who engage in that sort of thing deserve whatever punishment they get.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#9  Postby quisquose » Apr 21, 2014 10:15 am

Cito di Pense wrote:Didn't you get the memo? 'Hell' is synonymous with 'separation from your (loving) God', which is what all the gnashing of teeth is apparently about. The weeping and wailing are just histrionic, and people who engage in that sort of thing deserve whatever punishment they get.

My bad, I missed that.

From a Christian [url=christianity.about.com/od/whatdoesthebiblesay/a/Hell-In-The-Bible.htm]website:[/url]

Hell in the Bible is a place of future punishment and the final destination for unbelievers. It is described in Scripture using various terms such as eternal fire, outer darkness, a place of weeping and torment, the lake of fire, the second death, unquenchable fire. The most terrifying reality of hell is that it will be a place of complete, unending separation from God.

Gotta love that last sentence.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Animavore » Apr 21, 2014 12:22 pm

I'm not arsed going around hassling Christians at Easter. The only tip I can give is to pilfer as much chocolate from the kids as you can reasonably get away with.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#11  Postby hackenslash » Apr 21, 2014 12:29 pm

quisquose wrote:Gotta love that last sentence.

Yep. Don't mind the burning as long as magic man is about...
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » Apr 21, 2014 12:31 pm

I don't get how you could be separate from a being that is omnipresent.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby hackenslash » Apr 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Dunno, but at least you could masturbate in peace...
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby quisquose » Apr 21, 2014 12:39 pm

hackenslash wrote:Dunno, but at least you could masturbate in peace...

:lol:

Just booking my hotel room now ...

http://www.peacevillageretreat.org/Directions.html
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » Apr 21, 2014 12:40 pm

I dunno. I kinda like being watched.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore